View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post
Post how and where you think it stutters, as I'd like to know.
My bone 88 has had an occasional cough but usually happens right off the bottom, and has almost made me drop it mid turn starting off. It is time for a fuel filter and related hoses. I thought mine could be from a bad fuel line in the tank

BOB
Ok, it just seems to completely miss a few beats, then picks right up again, with no apparent reason, and it does do it at lower throttle settings, as when you whack it, it responds, and just pulls like a train, with zero issues whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
There's a few things that come to mind.

1) What year is it? There were some in the early 2000's that had a shortened wire from the factory running to the front fuel injector. It would get tugged and pulled from engine vibration and eventually fail.
It is a 2005, so that ain't it.......

Quote:
X) Fuel filter for sure, BUT.... also check the fuel pickup line in the tank. There's been many instances of them cracking and starting to suck air when the fuel level dropped.
Ok, but would it be so intermittent? (and it does it chock full of fuel, or low- no difference.)

Quote:
17) The BIG one. Open mufflers, no air cleaner change? Has it had a tuner of some sorts, (SERT, TTS, Power Commander, et al) installed? If not, these pigs run lean as it is. If more air is going thru the engine than fuel to mix with it, it's gonna do a lean stutter. You're describing a flat spot. Common on carb'd bikes and lean FI bikes.
Does not have open mufflers, (and ZERO tuner, this guy is NOT mechanically inclined), and again, it is very difficult to get it to do it. and it will happen at steady throttle settings, and again, only once in awhile. The plugs from this bike are literally, picture perfect, so it does not look like a lean issue at all, and having been involved in racing and hot rods for so long, I know EXACTLY what that looks like

Quote:
BB) Check the intake flange gaskets for leaking. Fully warmed up, at idle, squirt some WD-40 on the flanges. If it stalls, they're leaking.
Have not done that yet, but it is on the list.....

Quote:
That should keep you busy for a while. Report back, I'm curious.
I rode the bike about 90 to 100 miles today,(MAN it was good to get out and ride with Wendy beside me!) got it to do it once on the highway at 60MPH (cruise off, throttle only) got it to do it a couple of times in town, at around 30MPH. (Again, cruise off)
Honestly, it feels like it may be developing a dead spot in the throttle position sensor.
It literally feels like the engine stops running for a beat or two, then comes right back like nothing happened.

The other stuff you guys mentioned does not sound like it is the issue.
The bike has about 30K on it, and like I said, it is VERY well loved and maintained.

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

Last edited by stupidglide; 09-14-2014 at 08:15 PM.