View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 09:27 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
I've been chasing

For the longest time I just knew it was top end, ticking, clacking.....loudest around 2400 to 2800 RPM under medium load. Over time it transitioned to loudest when rolling off the throttle at most any RPM.

Lately I could hear a bit of whirring. That obviously changed my mind on the cause.

I changed the oil when we got back from ES and noticed aluminum flakes in the oil. But I had used a container at work when I drained it. It was used hundreds of times for various engines and equipment.

I ran it another 400 miles or so and drained the oil again into a clean container. More aluminum. Pulled the case plug and flushed sump with kerosene through the CPS hole. More aluminum.

When I tore it apart I did not find any damage to lifter bores, lifters, oil pump. The only thing I found was few light scratches on the cylinder walls. Same with piston skirts. I pulled the pan and didn't have any aluminum there. Just normal very fine debris like found on the drain magnet.

I was going to just hone and new rings, but I opted to hone and 5 over with new Pistons.

I have or will have taken everything apart and cleaned anywhere oil flows before assembly.

Last edited by vafatboy; 09-06-2016 at 05:23 PM.