View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Here's my take.

If you have the space and the time to do the work, go for it. I would be very hesitant to try a project of that scope given that (as you've seen) I have nowhere to work.

I'd suggest checking your runout first. If it's within your target range, you've got no issues. If it isn't, it's decision time. I'm pretty sure Geezer split his own cases, so it's a doable project.

Assuming that your crank is within spec, you can make yourself a very nice 103 with Ebay and forum classified parts for not a lot of money. You'll have to find pistons, but you can have your jugs bored and honed locally. S/E heads show up regularly, as do 251 cams (though I'd search for a T-Man 590 myself). Since you'll be taking the top of the engine apart anyway, there's no need for adjustable pushrods.

The real question is whether or not you're comfortable tackling this. Knowing you as I do, there's no question in my mind you can handle it.

Oh, and Big Daddy Harley makes a really nice tool for getting the bolts out of the rocker covers.

With the exceptions of Geezer and TalonChief, there are very few guys who do as much work (successfully, I might add) on their bikes. So bite me bastages!

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)