Thread: Transom Repair
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 06:47 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 12 View Post
I have repaired a couple of transoms when I used to work at a boat shop. We usually cut the glass from the inside rather than the outside. That way the exterior gelcoat stayed intact. As noted, one should stay away from pressure treated wood, but would want to spend the extra money for marine grade plywood and then seal the exterior surface and edges with fiberglass resin. It can be a pain in the ass, especially when the stringers in the floor get dry rot in them too.

This is a 42 year old boat and the gel coat is shot. Many items mounted here and there over the years. I’ve already started repairing holes, nicks and other things in the gel coat. Small crazing is getting “toothed” with a burr on a dremel and patched with fairing compound. Larger areas that need strength are being done with epoxy thickened with colloidal silica. When it’s all done it’ll get painted.

One of the reasons I decided to repair it is these hulls are highly regarded.
Top of the list of this vintage is Seacraft and I think it’s a toss up between Aquasport (what I have) and Mako. I fished Mako’s of this era and length and I’m pretty sure this Aquasport is a third or better lighter than a Mako. I prefer the ride of the Aquasport over the Mako.