View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 10:37 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
A Jiffy Stand Problem

I have an odd issue with the jiffy stand on my Ultra that will require replacing it and I wonder if anyone else has run into this particular failure.
(for the record, there's no warranty in place; the bike has 25K miles)

The problem with mine is the toe tab that is welded onto the end of the stand. This is the piece that you catch with the sole of your boot to put the stand either out or in. That tab for some reason is *soft* on my Ultra. (note that my ancient Road King has never had this problem) Whenever I use the stand, the pressure of my foot on it bends the tab down such that it is parallel to the ground when the bike is parked. The tab is supposed to stand up at about a 45* angle. The designed angle matches the profile of the outer primary when the stand is stowed, keeping it tucked close to the bike. The way mine is bent means that when riding it sticks down toward the ground like a curb feeler and it drags all the time. The end of the tab has been ground away a lot.
I can only guess that the heat treating or the cooling after welding was done wrong. I can readily bend the tab up by hand while parked but, of course, it flattens the next time I use it, no matter how careful I might be. Has anyone else had this issue?

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod