Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > MiniGlide's Adventures Working for the Mouse
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

MiniGlide's Adventures Working for the Mouse Updates from Molly.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:44 AM
Outlaw

Last Cigar Smoked: Camel WIDES
Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Worst jobs in America

Linky

Take a look at number 11.

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog." - Michael Vick.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Yep...
I suspect that it's so bad that they only have hundreds clamoring to sign up daily.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 05-21-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Hmmmmm. Almost sounds like it was written by a 20-something staffer from the Orlando Sentinel with limited grammatical skills and no children. Please allow the parent of 2 girls, one of whom did the college intern program and one of whom is a full time employee to comment.

Quote:
11 Disney Paid Intern

In recent years, Disney has started replacing many full-time employees with young interns who make far less money in the name of a College Recruitment Program that promises of “magical” opportunities for its applicants. These kids must pay their own travel to Disney in Orlando, pay rent that is often double Lake Wales, FL’s average only to share a room with 6 fellow interns, and face the uncertainty of what job they will perform until they have already arrived on the Disney campus.

Your child does share a room with other interns, IIRC, there were 2 per bedroom with 8 total in the apartment. If they are under 21, they are put in "wellness" apartments, where no alcohol is allowed. As a parent, I was really happy about that. And of course they pay their own way down there. It's an opportunity to learn customer service and the Disney way of doing business from the source. Corporations pay handsomely to have their employees taught by Disney corporate trainers, and your child is taught while earning college credit and being paid enough to be self sufficient during their stay. Living with roommates teaches them some valuable lessons in working with those both more and less capable as well, as the apartments are regularly inspected and all the residents are responsible for the condition of the apartment. And no, they don't know what they're going to be doing until they get there. They need to be flexible and realize that the world does not owe them a CEO job just because they showed up. If you're long on entitled attitude, it is probably not the job for you.

Working at Disney seems like it could be fun, and for many it is, but for countless interns who are promised pay, their checks can amount to as little as $2 if they are not able to pick up enough shifts. Many college students are willing to endure the demanding hours, spotty bus schedules to make it to work, cramped housing, and constant Disney-themed reminders to avoid subtle statements of individuality for the free access to parks and the Disney aura, but many see the program for what it truly is.

The kids are guaranteed 40 hours a week. If they don't work their hours, I guess they don't get paid. Duh. Maggie cleared $80 a week after rent, which was enough for food and to have a little spending money at the parks on her days off. Is it going to pay off their college loan and fatten their 401k? Nope. Not why they're there. The busses run like clockwork, since that's how the majority of their interns get to work, and Disney wants them there on time. Duh again. I sat through Molly's "onboarding" and Disney does have a very specific look that they require from their employees. You know that going in. If that's not your cup of tea, go work for Universal and wear your pants halfway down your ass and talk on your cell phone while ignoring the guests.

Disney claims that these paid interns have an upper hand on full-time Disney employment after they participate in the College Program, but many people realize that the desired positions in management have almost nothing to do with the jobs these young employees are assigned. Students will show up to Orlando with aspirations of operating Space Mountain in mind only to be shocked when assigned the Disney-fied role of Custodial Host (toilet cleaner).

If you've ever dealt with Disney recruiters, and leaders (supervisors), you'll find that they all started, if not in the college program, at least as a rank and file cast member and worked their way up. And nobody is going to hire some pimply faced college kid to perform a technical task. This is their opportunity to take a look at you, and for you to take a look at them. Oddly, some of the happiest cast members in the parks are the ones sweeping up. They get some of the most guest interaction of anybody, with guests constantly asking them for directions and advice.

The living conditions are monitored with prison-level security, making this truly a full-time job under the guise of an internship. The Disney-provided mandatory housing for these kids requires they sign in and out, have all guests off the premises by 1 AM, and subject themselves to spontaneous searches of their rooms and car if they have one. All of these employees’ must have short-cut hair (males), no visible piercings or tattoos, and are staunchly limited in what they can wear, say, or even how they are allowed to point (index and middle finger together).

Ever sent your 18-19y.o. daughter 1,000 miles away for the first time in her life to spend a semester working in a big city?
I've already covered the dress/appearance issue (and guests are there to experience the parks and resorts, right down to the costumes Disney supplies and launders for their cast members, not to marvel at the blue or pink hair and gauged ears on your brat). Pointing with the index and middle fingers together is taught at Disney U on their first day, since pointing with the index finger only is considered insulting in some cultures. Believe it or not, your cracker ass isn't all that Disney has to consider when making policy.

Disney has structured a system of fewer hours for more employees, barring them from long-term benefits that cost the company money and providing a cookie-cutter experience with little chance for vertical promotion.

Disney does hire a lot of part time, no question. But I believe my youngest has shown that a full time position can be found for the right candidates. And a part time entry level position can turn into a full time position if you show them what they need to see. Disney's not for everybody, I guess, but when Maggie was working in service/hospitality jobs after her internship, her time at Disney was a major factor in her being hired. BTW, the medical/dental/vision/401k benefits are outstanding if you do land a full time position, plus the free admission to the parks and discounts on food and resorts, and free employee activities. However, if you don't like Disney, it's probably not a good fit for you as an employee or them as an employer.
Did I miss anything?

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:28 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
BTW, one of Molly's besties was in the college program the last time we were there. Shen has since graduated and she'll be back on Friday for her interview for a Monorail driver job, and my guess is that Mo will have a new roommate shortly thereafter.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Confirmed Luddite

Last Cigar Smoked: Snack Pack Tapioca
Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Did I miss anything?

You did not address the chances of being eaten by a hippo in Animal Kingdom.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Double-D
Lone Doof

Last Cigar Smoked: Griffin
RoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Hmmmmm. Almost sounds like it was written by a 20-something staffer from the Orlando Sentinel with limited grammatical skills and no children. Please allow the parent of 2 girls, one of whom did the college intern program and one of whom is a full time employee to comment.

Did I miss anything?
My oldest wants to work in the parks (she's 16 now and is just starting to look into it. I'm forwarding ALL of this to her. I think she'll thrive there as well.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm not even a big fan of their movies & such, but they NEVER fail to impress me as an organization. Your comments describe a lot of the reasons why.

Agreed that whoever wrote the original critique had more bias than insight.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:05 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
My oldest wants to work in the parks (she's 16 now and is just starting to look into it. I'm forwarding ALL of this to her. I think she'll thrive there as well.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm not even a big fan of their movies & such, but they NEVER fail to impress me as an organization. Your comments describe a lot of the reasons why.

Agreed that whoever wrote the original critique had more bias than insight.
When she's ready, let me know.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:22 AM
Double-D
Lone Doof

Last Cigar Smoked: Griffin
RoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
When she's ready, let me know.
Ohgoshyes...

Already mentally noted.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uesque View Post
You did not address the chances of being eaten by a hippo in Animal Kingdom.
You have to pay extra for that, and they make you wear a harness, so experiencing that particular Magical Moment is so rare...

Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 AM
The one, the only....

Da'Wump has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDa'Wump has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDa'Wump has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDa'Wump has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDa'Wump has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDa'Wump has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDa'Wump has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDa'Wump has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDa'Wump has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDa'Wump has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDa'Wump has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
11 Disney Paid Intern

In recent years, Disney has started replacing many full-time employees with young interns who make far less money in the name of a College Recruitment Program that promises of “magical” opportunities for its applicants. These kids must pay their own travel to Disney in Orlando, pay rent that is often double Lake Wales, FL’s average only to share a room with 6 fellow interns, and face the uncertainty of what job they will perform until they have already arrived on the Disney campus.

I really don't get why this person thinks it would be appropriate for Disney to pay for your way there. Jason and I recently relocated with no expenses covered. This isn't a professional position it's and INTERNSHIP! They have thousands of CPs down each semester. You're courting them to be hired, not the other way around. The program wouldn't exist if they had to shell out relo. I lived with 7 girls, one of which was a sorority sister that I moved down with. Honestly, being that far from home would have been 20x more miserable without tons of people around and girls who were there to help me feel safe and secure and loved. It was a good experience learning to have roomies as well!

You don't know your job until you get there, but there are NO bad jobs at Disney. Those custodial cast members were some of the happiest working there! We all got paid the same and we all worked 40+ hours a week. It didn't matter what your job was as long as you had the right 'tude and were there for the right reasons.

Working at Disney seems like it could be fun, and for many it is, but for countless interns who are promised pay, their checks can amount to as little as $2 if they are not able to pick up enough shifts. Many college students are willing to endure the demanding hours, spotty bus schedules to make it to work, cramped housing, and constant Disney-themed reminders to avoid subtle statements of individuality for the free access to parks and the Disney aura, but many see the program for what it truly is.

The only way your check would be $2 is if you called off several shifts like an irresponsible a**. I had plenty of money for food and fun. Housing was not cramped by any means. And there were so many amenities at the apt and so much to do for free as a cast member. The person who wrote this either had a terrible experience, is painfully antisocial and spoiled, or wasn't ever even an intern...

Busses ran effectively as well.

Disney claims that these paid interns have an upper hand on full-time Disney employment after they participate in the College Program, but many people realize that the desired positions in management have almost nothing to do with the jobs these young employees are assigned. Students will show up to Orlando with aspirations of operating Space Mountain in mind only to be shocked when assigned the Disney-fied role of Custodial Host (toilet cleaner).

As I said there are no bad jobs if you have the proper attitude. This is a great company. And in the service industry- saying you worked for Disney will get any manager interested immediately.

The living conditions are monitored with prison-level security, making this truly a full-time job under the guise of an internship. The Disney-provided mandatory housing for these kids requires they sign in and out, have all guests off the premises by 1 AM, and subject themselves to spontaneous searches of their rooms and car if they have one. All of these employees’ must have short-cut hair(males), no visible piercings or tattoos, and are staunchly limited in what they can wear, say, or even how they are allowed to point (index and middle finger together).

Almost every employer in America has appearance standards. Get over it. Walt's dream was a safe, fun, family friendly environment, not a place where 2 year olds would scream with fear over some dude with gauged ears and tattoos up his neck. The security was tight and I was fired 3 months in for having alcohol in my room, but it was appropriate for the situation.

Disney has structured a system of fewer hours for more employees, barring them from long-term benefits that cost the company money and providing a cookie-cutter experience with little chance for vertical promotion.

There is a management track consisting of several internships at varying levels, but you have to apply and be outstanding, duh.

My experience was great, but if you're a miserable, spoiled brat then the job and the company aren't for you. Sorry to burst anyone's proverbial bubble.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I love the voice of real experience doing the talking.

It is a rare thing and very refreshing.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Keeper - Awful Secret

rangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milk
Don't know about elsewhere, but the numbers for loggers and construction salaries are on the low side compared to here. Maybe for starters, but..

Hell, I earned darn near $30k/year as a sawyer back in the mid-80s.

Jay