Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Carburetor
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Keeper - Awful Secret

rangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milk
Carb overflow problem

Due to a steady diet of 65+ hour weeks this year, I didn't get out riding much. Took the Low Rider out after a several month sit awhile back, and had fuel pouring out everywhere after a mile or so.

The first source was the main fuel line from the shutoff valve to the carb, a braided line, no less. Took it off, tested with a fresh piece of line to make sure as there was gas everywhere, and then replaced it. Immediately I had gas burping out the overflow line from the carb. Checked the float bowl drain screw, replaced the o-ring, it was okay. Put the MityVac on, vac-ed the line and still had gas coming out. Figured I had a stuck float, so off came the bottom end of the carb to look.

Nothing evident, float was fine, inlet needle fine, seat was good as far as I could see with a LED mirror. Checked float with a shallow pan of gas..no leaks. Float bowl showed minor discoloration from sitting and some condensation over time - nothing I hadn't seen before.

Then I noticed the accelerator pump rod had considerable condensation/discoloration.

Having been through most everything I could think of for fuel level problems, I thought maybe the diaphragm was contaminated enough to cause the condition. Dropped the housing and sure enough..

Replaced the diaphragm and cleaned the seat. Reassembled the carb and gave it vacuum and everything looked good. Road test and subsequent ride were fine. I did replace the float bowl screws with allen style fasteners..two head-stripped (one front, one back) never been touched and with a Snap-on screwdriver. Had about enough of that..the one in back was a real bear to get off, about had to completely disengage carb and throttle linkage to do it.

I'm pretty good about some HEET and Seafoam run into the tank/carb before winter storage, but I believe I'll start draining the carb but leaving the tank full. Always get nervous about gaskets/o-rings sitting dry.

Jay
Old 10-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Just don't stop ridin'

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Question: that Dyna has duel front disks?

®
Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Keeper - Awful Secret

rangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milk
Yup..FXDL has 'em as standard equipment in '96.

Jay
Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
A guy didn't buy my '04 LowRider because it didn't have duel front disk~

®