Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Handlebars, Grips, Cables...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:27 AM
Smuckin' Fartass

Last Cigar Smoked: Olivia Nub Maduro
Woody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel! View Post
Hydraulic clutch, abs needs dealer intervention, wires need to be extended. Sounds like a royal PIA, maybe worth a grand to have the dealer do.

When I did the swap on my 2010 it was a pain seeing the colors on the wires. Make sure you have good light. I know when I was done I turned the radio volume up and the left turn signal activated. Had to go back in and figure out where I went wrong.

Also, Wild 1's told me there was no need to change clutch or brake lines. They lied. Turn the bars all the way to the right and the clutch would disengage.Do yourself a favor and get some 2-3" over lines and cables right off the bat.
After reading the shop manual last night, I have concluded that this is going to be a pain in the ass! With ABS brakes, the dealer has to hook the Digital Technician to the bike to make sure the braking system is bled correctly. To replace the line from the front master cylinder to the ABS unit requires stripping the right side of the bike and taking the gas tank off so you can get at the ABS unit mounted under the tank...

I may just as well take it to the dealer and have them put the friggin' bars on and be done with it!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:39 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Many have had the dealer make the changes. On the other hand, I've read may post of the owner completing the work themselves as well. I figure I can replace everything. If I need the brakes or clutch bled, I'll load in the truck and take it to them for that only.

Kimber

Old 06-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Smuckin' Fartass

Woody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sock
Mike, bleeding the clutch would not be a problem but the brake thing is a whole different animal.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Mike and I did it once, we could do it again. That said, I'd seriously consider paying 4 hours labor.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 06-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
The bushing thing is a big deal and get away from the stock rubber ones!
I don't remember what the good bushing are made of but when the apes were installed on the fatboy, they did everything right, took off the tank and replaced all cables blah blah blah except change the stock bushing!
After two weeks if riding it I went back and paid to have the bushing changed!
They told me "we run these good bushing on our apse" & I was thinking well why didn't you put them on mine!!
Total bill was a grand,
Was it worth it~ No
Did it look good~yes
Would I ever do it again~no
Well, I take that back, when I buy a Sportster I will put apes on it.

®
Old 06-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Smuckin' Fartass

I spoke with the service manager at the dealer this morning. He told me that for sure the braided clutch and brake lines would be too short, and that 4 hours would get the job done. So, I'm gonna have them get the longer lines and do the work.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody218 View Post
I spoke with the service manager at the dealer this morning. He told me that for sure the braided clutch and brake lines would be too short, and that 4 hours would get the job done. So, I'm gonna have them get the longer lines and do the work.

4 hours. Get it in writing.

I've seen many posts of dealers charging upwards of 9 hours for the install.

Kimber

Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 AM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
4 hours. Get it in writing.

I've seen many posts of dealers charging upwards of 9 hours for the install.
Had a friend that got the dealer to install his bars - he was charged 7 hours for labor.

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 06-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
It took me 2 days....
Old 06-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
The bushing thing is a big deal and get away from the stock rubber ones!
I don't remember what the good bushing are made of but when the apes were installed on the fatboy, they did everything right, took off the tank and replaced all cables blah blah blah except change the stock bushing!
After two weeks if riding it I went back and paid to have the bushing changed!
They told me "we run these good bushing on our apse" & I was thinking well why didn't you put them on mine!!
Total bill was a grand,
Was it worth it~ No
Did it look good~yes
Would I ever do it again~no
Well, I take that back, when I buy a Sportster I will put apes on it.

LaLaLaLa~~~

®
Old 06-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Doof Clenas Member

albundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sock
I would check with wild one before buying any cables,they told me only clutch cable to be longer,abs lines was long enough,and have heard if its a cvo,the hydro clutch line is long enough too.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
This is old, but maybe this will help. It was on my old Ultra. Will work for all without hydraulic clutch and ABS brakes.

The clutch hydraulics may need a new cable. It's easy to change and can be bled the usual way.

ABS can't be done without bleeding the brakes; and most of us don't have the electronic gizmo to open all the valves in the control unit for bleeding.

http://www.kenandjudy.us/Motorcycles...new_page_1.htm
Old 06-06-2013, 02:41 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
I did my bars on my ABS FLXH without any issues and didn't use the machine. Done carefully, you won't introduce any air into the system.

Once I hooked the line up to the brake master cylinder, I ran it as it was supposed to run back to the ABS module. I then placed the end not connected (near the ABS module) in a plastic bottle, filled the master cylinder with fluid and worked the lever until fluid was coming of out of the line without any air in it. Placed it on the open port on the ABS module and tightened the banjo bolt to where it wasn't quite tight on the module, squeezed the lever a bit to where the fluid seeped out around the fitting, then tightened the banjo bolt before letting go of the lever. Wiped down the area with some brake clean and all was goot.

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Original Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I did my bars on my ABS FLXH without any issues and didn't use the machine. Done carefully, you won't introduce any air into the system.

Once I hooked the line up to the brake master cylinder, I ran it as it was supposed to run back to the ABS module. I then placed the end not connected (near the ABS module) in a plastic bottle, filled the master cylinder with fluid and worked the lever until fluid was coming of out of the line without any air in it. Placed it on the open port on the ABS module and tightened the banjo bolt to where it wasn't quite tight on the module, squeezed the lever a bit to where the fluid seeped out around the fitting, then tightened the banjo bolt before letting go of the lever. Wiped down the area with some brake clean and all was goot.

Good, I know who to call the weekend of Jun 15/16.

Kimber

Old 06-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Doof Clenas Member

albundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stockman View Post
Mike and I put 575s on the BSL. I don't see how you can get away with the stock length clutch and brake lines.
you can't if it's regular clutch and non abs,but on 12 and up ultra's with abs the brake line is supposed to be enough slack in the fairing to be long enough,and if its a cvo there should be enough slack in the fairing for the clutch line to,I have not look in the fairing on a cvo to be sure for the hydraulic clutch,don't know for sure but was told I only had to replace clutch cable the abs hose was long enough.Mine is a limited not a cvo