Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 06-30-2016, 07:08 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Hayden primary chain tensioner

Looking back into the past, I've noticed more than a few of you installed various Hayden primary chain tensioners in your bikes.

Coupla 3 questions.......

7) Why?

43) What improvement(s) in shifting/vibration/neutral finding/other did you notice after the install?

437) Would you consider the Hayden, in your experience, a worthy addition to your bike?

Thinkin' of installin' one in the 'b'. Have the stock manual adjuster in there now. Ain't done no tinkerin' this year. Yet.

TIA.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:47 PM
Above Average DDude

Last Cigar Smoked: A. Fuente, Curly Head
YankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sock
I didn't want to go in there every year to check chain tension. 24,000 miles later, I haven't been in.
I also switched to ATF for primary fluid. This made the single best improvement for finding neutral and minimizing the 1st gear klunk.

Sh!t doesn't stink unless ya' poke it!

Deut 23:12-13 (How to sh!t in the woods)
Old 06-30-2016, 09:27 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
ATF in mine but the slight clunk is there and it doesn't seem any easier to find neutral.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 07-01-2016, 04:49 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I bought into the hype and got one for the CVO. Took it out and chucked it in the trash after about 400 miles. Primary was screaming, and the chain had eaten a good 3/8" into the shoe. It was way too tight.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 07-01-2016, 06:48 AM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
My observation is, once the primary chain stretches it doesn't need much adjusting. I haven't had to adjust mine in 30k or so.

I've read several threads through the years about auto tensioners ratcheting up to tight and taking bearings out. Probably a low percentage for the number of units out there, but not worth it to me to take the chance.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:29 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stockman View Post
I bought into the hype and got one for the CVO. Took it out and chucked it in the trash after about 400 miles. Primary was screaming, and the chain had eaten a good 3/8" into the shoe. It was way too tight.
Put one in my 2011 EG and had the same issue, with the thinnest "adjustment" spacer I still had to pry it in there. Way too tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
My observation is, once the primary chain stretches it doesn't need much adjusting. I haven't had to adjust mine in 30k or so.

I've read several threads through the years about auto tensioners ratcheting up to tight and taking bearings out. Probably a low percentage for the number of units out there, but not worth it to me to take the chance.
With the 2006 RG I found the same thing, just checked it every other "adjustment" period, didn't need to be adjusted...

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 07-02-2016, 02:16 PM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
My scoot had over 100K on it, so I bought into a stock replacement for $12.00 or so. Happy if it lasts half as long. Lol

BOB

Sent from Tapatalk whilst on the job

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology