Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > The Arsenal
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

The Arsenal Where firearms enthusiasts gather to discuss their passion for things that go bang. Political debate is one floor down and not welcome here.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:34 PM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
Build a 1911,... Mega, Dr. bob and others, what about this idea?

PSA posted this bare 1911 frame and I was wondering if buying it and building a handgun from selected parts would be a decent idea? We do it with ARs, this could be good, yes?
Thing is, when play money is always short, buying a piece at a time would be the affordable way for me to do it. Downside is, I haven't researched parts to know what would be the best affordable combination, should I attempt the build at some point.

> click to see PSA SS 1911 frame <

> click to see PSA Carbon 1911 bare frame <

Any advice on this for a person new to the 1911 world?

Last edited by Bluetoys; 05-10-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:36 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
A little more fitting and such is needed, IIRC, than with the Modern Musket (AR) platform?

But if I only had the money and dedicated work space for doing one I'd be all over it.

Same for the musket. Just some tooling and money holding me back...

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 05-10-2015, 07:43 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm neither of the men you asked for but....

Do you have the tools and the talent to fit pieces to a precision pistol? It sure seems to me that it would be better to find a used Colt, Springfield, or Remington and hot-rod it.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 05-10-2015, 08:22 PM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
Hmmm... Tools? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:23 PM
Double-D
I am Doof

Yeah, I was kinda wondering about the logistics

Old 05-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetoys View Post
Hmmm... Tools? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
First he's gonna shit; then he's gonna kill us.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Double-D
I am Doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stockman View Post
First he's gonna shit; then he's gonna kill us.

Make up your mind, dude, is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?

Old 05-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
This (Some custom fitting (gunsmithing) may be required for your parts. Please inspect upon receipt. Altered parts are non-returnable.) is what would having me do what Dirk just did. Buy a Norinco and build it. it doesn't take much.

aka

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology
Old 05-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Zintaround

pa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suck
Building an AR is nothing more than assembling a bunch of parts (erector set)! Finishing a 1911 is a whole different ball game.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Double-D
Dr. of Doof

OKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowOKC Fatboy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Take a course on 1911 gunsmithing. If you want to learn how, do it right. Larry Vickers offers a course to teach you how, but it is pricey. If you want to do this to save money, I would advise against it unless you want to learn how to build multiple pistols.
Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D.F.F.D.

/Users/rleonard12/Desktop/star-trek-expendability.jpg
Old 05-10-2015, 11:03 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I just caught onto the idea that building a 1911 at home may be kinda like building a watch.

All the file sets honing stone assortments and such other neat thingys listed for sale in the Brownells catalog.

I forgot how much boss man said the tool for removing / installing the sights (blade front) on a GI style 1911 cost.

And I think he'll kill us first and then shit on us, just sayin'...

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 05-11-2015, 12:36 AM
Double-D
I am Doof

Common sense, and your comments, advise me to not pursue this idea... Looks like I'm sticking to Tupperware for a while... Lol
Funny how the quotes we posted works as well reversed as they were actually said... Hmmm

Old 05-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Breaker of Stuff

There is great wisdom in Fast Times.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:54 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Yeah, good advice above.
For the frame alone, grip screw bushing staking tool, plunger tube staking tool, the whole art of pinning an ejector properly. Then, if everything is in spec and drop-in, fitting the grip safety, fitting the thumb safety, blah-blah-blah. I had to pass on too many of them when I was doing gun shows that were either built without tools or knowledge, or <gasp> Colts that were ruined by a moron with a DremelŽ®.
If you want to give it a shot, though, buy this book, at least. Old School and worthy:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/199...rry-kuhnhausen

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:23 PM
Double-D
I am Doof

Thanks boss