Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > General Maintenance & Service
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

General Maintenance & Service Doing it yourself or having it done...

Old 01-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Jorge Jetson

Sparky has failed to amuse us
Embarking on a challenge...

Well, I hate not knowing enough about how my scoot runs or not having the general knowledge needed to diagnose a problem my bike may have, so I picked up a service manual and am going to start doing my own maintenance on my '02 Deuce. I'll take it one step at a time and go nice and slow, as I'm not too mechanically inclined.

On the Sporty I used to have, I changed from mid controls to forward controls, replaced the pipes, and replaced my handlebars to include replacing the front brake line (that's a whole 'nother story I may post) and running internal wiring. So that's the extent of my mechanical abilities thus far.

I've got what I think is a good motorcycle lift by Duralast, a 200 piece generic tool kit from Craftsman, and am going out to buy a torque wrench today when I go out to pick up the supplies I'll need to do my 15,000 mile service.

With what I have done in the past and what I have on hand now, does anyone have any suggestions to help make the process go as smoothly as possible? Looking forward to the input!!!
Old 01-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Swiss Guard

phreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suckphreak can happily embrace the suck
Have some simple green on hand to clean up the oil your going to spill.

You shouldn't have to many problems. Read the manual phirst, then walk around the bike looking phor all the points it mentions before you even put a wrench to it.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
One thing when doing services, you don't have to do them all at once. It may look like alot then. Also alot of the stuff is you should be doing regularly. ie checking tires.

For the most part I just do the same thing, change fluids, adjust clutch, primary chain every 5k. Once a year I change plugs, could probably do this more. I lube cable once a year, should do this more.

Lube the clutch cable when you are adjusting the clutch. YOur 1/2 there when you put slack in the cable.

All in all don't let it intimidate you.

I also created a spreadsheet. Down left clumn serive or replacement. Upper two rows, mileage and date. I put everything in, not just maint. What ever fails, gets replaced, ect.

Also if you need something let us know.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Jorge Jetson

Good advice thus far, and greatly appreciated.

-Phreak
I've already read through the manual multiple times in regards to what I'll be doing, but will do the same thing again with each item on the list.

-Berserker
I was thinking the same thing about not having to do it all at once. I'll probably do all the fluid replacements first, then the adjustments, then the inspections. Are there any items that should be done together for the sake of saving time as disassembly of one may be necessary for the other? Thanks again!!!
Old 01-12-2008, 12:35 PM
pairofnines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Well, I hate not knowing enough about how my scoot runs or not having the general knowledge needed to diagnose a problem my bike may have, so I picked up a service manual and am going to start doing my own maintenance on my '02 Deuce. I'll take it one step at a time and go nice and slow, as I'm not too mechanically inclined.

On the Sporty I used to have, I changed from mid controls to forward controls, replaced the pipes, and replaced my handlebars to include replacing the front brake line (that's a whole 'nother story I may post) and running internal wiring. So that's the extent of my mechanical abilities thus far.

I've got what I think is a good motorcycle lift by Duralast, a 200 piece generic tool kit from Craftsman, and am going out to buy a torque wrench today when I go out to pick up the supplies I'll need to do my 15,000 mile service.

With what I have done in the past and what I have on hand now, does anyone have any suggestions to help make the process go as smoothly as possible? Looking forward to the input!!!
One word:

T27

Not all sets have them>

The wrong size TORX bit will strip more sh1t than you can fix in hours>

Check the service manual for the correct size bit and always use your torque wrench>

Good luck----------you will be fine>
Old 01-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I am not sure where the motor mounts are for a softail. For touring bikes, check the front motor mount and stabilizer links when you got oil filter off.

Other then that I can't thinkf anything off the top of my head. Like I said do some here and there. Alot of stuff you should be doing already. Air, plugs, ect.

I write down in the manual the wrench size, espcially for critcal fasteners. Sometimes wright down socket, deep, wrench, ect.

I have always beleive down work on your bike yourself, or alteast knowing how. Its better to learn it in the garage then on the side of the road.

Also give you an idea of what tools to carry with you. What sizes, ect.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Excommunicated

Paironinesis right. T27. Leslie has them sears carries them.

McMaster Carr has fair selection of tools.

I have a T27 and T40 on each bike and in the tool drawer. There is also a few oddball Ts out there you will run into.

Do not use T25, fits, but rounds off.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:42 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
You can really do the whole thing in a good afternoon, or maybe weekend the first time.
Get a set of torx sockets (and pick up a T-27 if you buy the Craftsman set, because it ain't in there and it's the one you'll use the most), and 2 torque wrenches, one 3/8" drive in inch lbs and one 1/2" drive in ft/lbs. (Learn to multiply and divide by 12, too.)

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Excommunicated

Get a 3/16 hex scket too. Snap ring pleirs are nice for the clip that hols clutch cable on. Kicks my ass. Bends easy too.

Keep some extra orings on hand for drain plugs, for tranny. I guess you don't have them for oil???
Old 01-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Excommunicated

Ijust bought a 3/8x1/2 adapter. Only time I needed bigger tq wrench was for comp nut. I put the same cheater bar on and pushed until Ishit my pants, same as when taking it off. I will probably by bigger tq wrench next time.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
You can really do the whole thing in a good afternoon, or maybe weekend the first time.
.)
You can do it at once. I have an attached garage, so I go out there in my underwear and do a little hear and there.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:46 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Long, ball end Allen (hex) socket set is really nice to have. S-K makes a good one.
The snap ring pliers w/ the interchangeable tips at Sears will fit that tiny snap ring on your clutch/brake levers.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Jorge Jetson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairofnines View Post
One word:

T27

Not all sets have them>

The wrong size TORX bit will strip more sh1t than you can fix in hours>

Check the service manual for the correct size bit and always use your torque wrench>

Good luck----------you will be fine>
Thanks for the input.

Forgot to mention I already picked up a set of TORX bits the last time I worked on the bike. They're made by Kobalt and the set came with a T27. Looks like I'm good on that account. Will be getting the torque wrench this in about an hour.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:48 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Ijust bought a 3/8x1/2 adapter. Only time I needed bigger tq wrench was for comp nut. I put the same cheater bar on and pushed until Ishit my pants, same as when taking it off. I will probably by bigger tq wrench next time.
You need one that will read lighter torque values for the small stuff and higher torque values for the big stuff, Mr. "I don't adjust my drive belt".

Old 01-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Jorge Jetson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Get a set of torx sockets (and pick up a T-27 if you buy the Craftsman set, because it ain't in there and it's the one you'll use the most), and 2 torque wrenches, one 3/8" drive in inch lbs and one 1/2" drive in ft/lbs. (Learn to multiply and divide by 12, too.)
Noted on the two torque wrenches. Makes since now that you mention it. THANKS!!!