Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 09-03-2011, 05:18 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
You don't see this every day.....

It's just mocked up for now.......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315088313.511058.jpg

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:19 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
It's just mocked up for now.......

Attachment 43018
Been running them on my 06 for a few months now....

Are you running a single disc or dual?

Either way you need to get the matching Brembo master cylinder. The original mc doesn't work so well with the Brembo calipers, really stiff lever to get good braking effect and if this is on Kim's bike she'll definitely have trouble.

Separated at birth? You decide

Last edited by jasilva; 09-03-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:00 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Yeah, I have a matching mastercylinder. Just waiting on lines and cables at this point. Here's another pic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315097981.445434.jpg

Only running single side. Had plans to do a dual side but the front end dementions are different between the baggers and the fatboy. I'd have to get some machining done I think.

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:50 PM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
Been running them on my 06 for a few months now....

Are you running a single disc or dual?

Either way you need to get the matching Brembo master cylinder. The original mc doesn't work so well with the Brembo calipers, really stiff lever to get good braking effect and if this is on Kim's bike she'll definitely have trouble.
Did you run duals or single brake? I still have a spare set of touring lowers and the other caliper if I decide to tackle it at a later date.

Weird the original master cylinder was funky with just one caliper. Makes sense if you had 2 calipers up front.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:11 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm running duals, the system pressures are different so the original HD dual mc felt really stiff. It worked and the braking was better than stock, but the Brembo mc was a huge improvement in feel and braking power. You may be okay with the oem mc and the Brembo caliper, but I'd put some miles on it before you let Kim trust herself to it. You should be able to run the touring lowers with dual discs on a Softail, check the online parts fiche at Ronnie's HD and see if the Touring/Softail lines use the same axles, bearings and spacers.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:23 PM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
I'm running duals, the system pressures are different so the original HD dual mc felt really stiff. It worked and the braking was better than stock, but the Brembo mc was a huge improvement in feel and braking power. You may be okay with the oem mc and the Brembo caliper, but I'd put some miles on it before you let Kim trust herself to it. You should be able to run the touring lowers with dual discs on a Softail, check the online parts fiche at Ronnie's HD and see if the Touring/Softail lines use the same axles, bearings and spacers.
I know the fatboy axle is shorter by just a bit. The triple tree is narrower too, so that leads me to believe that I may run into spacer issues. I'll also need to get 1" bearings put in the fatboy front wheel or just put the flhx wheel on it. Did you have to machine the calipers at all? What did you do for spacers?

Just trying to figure out what I need before I pull it back apart again.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:42 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Mine are on an FLHX, since I was switching to an 18" wheel I changed everything over to the newer 25mm axle parts. But from researching it I did find that the rotor/caliper alignment is the same between old and newer Brembo, if you could put the touring lowers on with the old style HD calipers then the Brembos will bolt right up. Check the wheel width at the bearings on both and the offset to center from each wheel bearing on both the FLHX and Fatboy wheels, if the width and offset is the same you should be able to swap out the lowers, use the Fatboy spacers and axle with the Brembo rotors and calipers.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:30 AM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Mine are on an FLHX, since I was switching to an 18" wheel I changed everything over to the newer 25mm axle parts. But from researching it I did find that the rotor/caliper alignment is the same between old and newer Brembo, if you could put the touring lowers on with the old style HD calipers then the Brembos will bolt right up. Check the wheel width at the bearings on both and the offset to center from each wheel bearing on both the FLHX and Fatboy wheels, if the width and offset is the same you should be able to swap out the lowers, use the Fatboy spacers and axle with the Brembo rotors and calipers.
AAAh, there in lies the confusion on my part. I figured you may have been running the brembos on a FL Softail. It's very easy to swap on a bagger. I'm looking at a half inch to a full inch of difference between the width of the front ends between the Fatboy and the SG. I'll get it figgered out this winter when I tear it down for paint.......for now, it'll just be single sided.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:52 AM
Double-D

FXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
They look good and are supposed to be a great upgrade.