Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:17 AM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
I thought you were supposed to scrape going around corners... is that wrong?

Aren't floorboard simply early warning devices?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Obsidian
Stone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
Aren't floorboard simply early warning devices?
As long as you keep your feet up.

Just sayin'...

"Keeping a candle lit"

"RIP Butkus"
2002-2006

Danger: Propane
Keep Back 200 Feet
Old 05-07-2007, 07:53 AM
8-Ball

I thought I would report in and let you all know what has happened; both in the shop and once I got it back.

They replaced the rear wheel bearings and told me that they seemed good but might be just starting to go. I could feel the slightest grind in there while turning the replaced ones with my finger.

They also replaced the swingarm pivot bearings and realigned the bike. They told me the bike alignment was good going in, but the pivot bearings were dry and very sloppy. I checked out the old ones and I'd say there was an 1/8" front to back play and maybe a 1/16" side play in both of them... much worse than I thought when they described it to me over the phone. The indy mechanic felt this was our "smoking gun".

Nobody knew if this was the solution to the shudder problem, although the "clank" was gone under solo hard braking. The shudder only occurs when riding 2 up.

So Mary and I saddled up for a 200 mile trip this weekend.

The shudder is gone, the bike glides into the turns, I didn't get sex this weekend, and the braking is very smooth and postiive.

Remember this problem started out as, what can only be described as, a rear brake chatter. There was no shudder or vibration running through the frame. I started out replacing the brakes, rotor, master cylinder, rebuilding the rear caliper, etc. trying to chase it down and all the while it just kept getting worse.

So if you experience a chatter in your rear brake, especially 2 up, think about checking the swingarm pivot bearings.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:04 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
So if you experience a chatter in your rear brake, especially 2 up, think about checking the swingarm pivot bearings.
Then, after you think you've thought enough, go ahead and check 'em.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
I thought I would report in and let you all know what has happened; both in the shop and once I got it back.

They replaced the rear wheel bearings and told me that they seemed good but might be just starting to go. I could feel the slightest grind in there while turning the replaced ones with my finger.

They also replaced the swingarm pivot bearings and realigned the bike. They told me the bike alignment was good going in, but the pivot bearings were dry and very sloppy. I checked out the old ones and I'd say there was an 1/8" front to back play and maybe a 1/16" side play in both of them... much worse than I thought when they described it to me over the phone. The indy mechanic felt this was our "smoking gun".

Nobody knew if this was the solution to the shudder problem, although the "clank" was gone under solo hard braking. The shudder only occurs when riding 2 up.

The shudder is gone, the bike glides into the turns, I didn't get sex this weekend, and the braking is very smooth and postiive.

Remember this problem started out as, what can only be described as, a rear brake chatter. There was no shudder or vibration running through the frame. I started out replacing the brakes, rotor, master cylinder, rebuilding the rear caliper, etc. trying to chase it down and all the while it just kept getting worse.

I'm happy to see that at least one problem was worked out.......

Last edited by vafatboy; 05-07-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Haawk - PTUI - Crap

Pete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
I didn't get sex this weekend
Don't be disgusting.

You're supposed to be happily married

Pete

-Shakespeare-Hamlet

"Generally speaking, you don't die on motorcycles.
You die a few yards away from what's left of them."

-Me
Old 05-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Obsidian
Stone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:

This certainly explains your edginess....

"Keeping a candle lit"

"RIP Butkus"
2002-2006

Danger: Propane
Keep Back 200 Feet