Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 01-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Altitude and performance.

Quick question for you Delphi experts, above 10,000 ft Ole Red runs like a Kawi 100. No power, no response, I can cruise at WOT at 60 mph and never get any faster. I never had this issue with my carbed bikes. I know altitude does affect performance and the ecm tries to compensate for it but this is a little over the top. Back below 8000 it runs like normal. The dealerships answer was stay at sea level, .......After a lot of reading I think maybe the MAP sensor could be bad? Any ideas?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
It might be the MAP sensor, but there's substantially less oxygen at 10,000 feet. No matter what, you're going to be substantially down on power. The highest up in the Rockies I got last winter was around 9,000 feet, and the bike ran like a pig up there.

At 10,000 feet you've basically got a 30% power loss (as compared to sea level).

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 01-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Double-D, MLA III, CLS

BluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Find a new dealership.

Since it does not seem to be compensating a sensor makes sense.

You might try plug chops at intermediate altitudes to check for variations in richness

+_"-'$"$"_"""'_'-'_43'_'_'-'_'>"_''-'_'>">"_'_'

Sent from my Droid w reinstall #7.

And Sherlyn Popelka of Sweden is a fugitive from justice for DUI, Aggravated Assault, and other crimes.

Oil, heat, vibration and noise.

At work, oil analysis, thermography, vibration analysis, and ultrasonics.

At play, Harley.

Same same, right?

Only 43 more states to go!

Remember, never make a straight on a left hand bridge.

It WILL leave a mark.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Pompous Prick

Last Cigar Smoked: Punch maduro
Slick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milk
I drove an EFI equipped 6-cylinder Jeep up to Pike's Peak a few summers ago. I could have put a brick on the gas pedal and saved my leg the trouble. No matter what I did that thing had no power to speak of over 9,000 feet or so.

Curt

Old 01-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
rode my bike all over the mountains in WO, ID, CO last fall ..... carb'd she is, lil EVO 80incher ..... she ran FINE, loss of power as compared to being home but no real issues really. She had all the power I was asking for and I was over 10K feet A LOT of the time and NEVER ran WOT

(well except when I was racing but that was never at 10K more like 43 or it coulda been 41 )

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 01-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Thanks for replies, I will swap out the MAP sensor and see what happens.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Double-D
Doof Gooner

Last Cigar Smoked: Bubble Gum
Redleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceKeeper View Post
Thanks for replies, I will swap out the MAP sensor and see what happens.
Curious to hear if it helps.

Do the Delphis not have the capability to adjust the map enough? Thought that was supposed to be part of the magic of EFI.

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen
Old 01-21-2012, 12:32 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
You could always put a turbo on it.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
carb kit

Old 01-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg View Post
Do the Delphis not have the capability to adjust the map enough? Thought that was supposed to be part of the magic of EFI.
There's only so much it can adjust. The 30% loss you get is due to the lack of oxygen; there's no adjusting for that.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 01-21-2012, 06:17 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
My first thought was a turbo too...

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 01-21-2012, 07:12 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Could be your sensor or tune at lower MAP, or something else. Obviously that's no help, but I will say I ran all over Colorado for the last few years, up to the top of Pikes Peak, Trail Ridge Road, Independence Pass and more and never felt starved for power.

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 01-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Buffalo Hump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel! View Post
Could be your sensor or tune at lower MAP, or something else. Obviously that's no help, but I will say I ran all over Colorado for the last few years, up to the top of Pikes Peak, Trail Ridge Road, Independence Pass and more and never felt starved for power.

me too, me either, but mines carb'd

no doubt I 'COULD HAVE' put different jets in it and gotten more power, but I didn't 'need' it

if I lived there, no doubt I'd re-jet it

sorry, I know this is EFI thread

HEY DAVE !!! Happy New Year Man !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's hook up this year !!!!!!