Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > FXR Discussion
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

FXR Discussion Like anybody cares

Old 11-23-2012, 12:08 PM
I like my bacon battered

BenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
educate me...

I know that's a tall order...but I'm serious.

I know the FXR has a cult like following with many claiming that it was the last REAL Harley. I've also heard "it's not a Dyna" even though to my uneducated eyes it's got the same rear suspension as a Dyna so it looks like it should fall in the Dyna family.

So fill me in. Learn me a thing or 2 about an FXR. Please?

Old 11-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Mind the thorns

Margarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
They're expensive.

Preserve the planet: repeal the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Securitas Emeritus

Homesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suck
It's all in the frame. FXR and FLT shared a service manual. Google up some pictures of Dyna frames vs FXR frames.

Eric Buell designed the FXR fame. It's light, rigid, and has a massive backbone. It's generally considered to be the best handling frame Moco ever built. The easy way to spot one is to look at the area directly below the seat, on either side. There is a triangle in the frame, about 12" square.

They were discontinued, for the Dyna frame, because they were expensive to build.

'Purists' didn't like them because they thought the frame looked Japanese. My brother was one of those guys. He changed his mind when he found out they were the preferred Harley of MCs. He was in hog heaven when he found out Sonny Barger rode one. I think riding mine helped a little. He rides an FLH but emails me FXR pictures daily.

I've been an FXR guy since 1982. The one in my avatar is a '93. There is a large bunch of FXR guys, and a ton of info, over at that VTF place.

joe

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Old 11-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Doofus

Last Cigar Smoked: Cojimar Vanilla
LOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sock
Probably the best lookin' FXR I have ever seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spade_b.jpg (54.3 KB, 104 views)

Old 11-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
That's a twin cam softail, not an FXR.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 11-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Doofus

Last Cigar Smoked: Cojimar Vanilla
LOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sockLOCO doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
That's a twin cam softail, not an FXR.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Funny, they had it listed as FXR. Shows you how much I know about the different models.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Frame is a dead give away. Lemme see if I can find an FXR frame pic...brb.

Note the triangular frame brace as mentioned above.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto

Last edited by TalonChief; 11-23-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
The FXR has a non-American style triangulated frame, which is much more rigid than other dynas, and probably one of the reasons it handles better too. It's very obvious if you look at a photo of an FXR; you can see the triangulation around the side panel..

Looks like this (although this is aftermarket from Chopper Guys at Axiom)

®
Old 11-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Securitas Emeritus

Homesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suckHomesick can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
Frame is a dead give away. Lemme see if I can find an FXR frame pic...brb.

Note the triangular frame brace as mentioned above.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
The real deal.

joe

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Old 11-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Securitas Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
The FXR has a non-American style triangulated frame, which is much more rigid than other dynas, and probably one of the reasons it handles better too. It's very obvious if you look at a photo of an FXR; you can see the triangulation around the side panel..

Looks like this (although this is aftermarket from Chopper Guys at Axiom)

Look how wimpy and clumsy the neck and backbone look by comparison.

And, sorry, but it's not more rigid than other Dynas. It's more rigid than Dynas. It is not a dyna. Two different animals.

Some aftermarket frame makers call their frame 'FXR' or 'FXR style' only because they're rubber mounts; no triangle for miles around.

joe

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
A peek into the mind of an FXR guy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
There is a triangle in the frame, about 12" square.

I've Ridden FXR4Mikey's bike, it's a fun ride.
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Confirmed Luddite

Last Cigar Smoked: Snack Pack Tapioca
Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
With a stock evo motor, I kept up with Russ and Vader on Pine Mountain, which should tell you something about the frame and in my case (sport model) brakes.

The frame is basically the same geometry as the baggers but a little lighter and with a different neck. While Erik Buell didn't design the frame from scratch, he did a lot of the chassis development on a race track. Basically, he would take it out on the track and ride it until he turned the frame into a pretzel. He then kept beefing it up until he couldn't get it to twist anymore and that's what you see on the production models.

When the Dyna came out still using the evo motor and drivetrain, the primaries were breaking because of the additional flex of the Dyna frame. The Twincam is stiffer and holds up better there.

The model to look for is either the Sport or Convertible. Both sit about an inch higher than stock for better cornering clearance, have a little more rake for stability and dual front disks for better stopping. The Convertible has a squishier seat, other than that, they're pretty much the same.

Cult following? Whatever gave you that idea?

Old 11-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Well, I've learned plenty.......

Old 11-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Securitas Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyMan View Post
A peek into the mind of an FXR guy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick

There is a triangle in the frame, about 12" square....
Guilty. I knew it when I said it.

joe

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Old 11-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Securitas Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uesque View Post
With a stock evo motor, I kept up with Russ and Vader on Pine Mountain, which should tell you something about the frame and in my case (sport model) brakes.

The frame is basically the same geometry as the baggers but a little lighter and with a different neck. While Erik Buell didn't design the frame from scratch, he did a lot of the chassis development on a race track. Basically, he would take it out on the track and ride it until he turned the frame into a pretzel. He then kept beefing it up until he couldn't get it to twist anymore and that's what you see on the production models.

When the Dyna came out still using the evo motor and drivetrain, the primaries were breaking because of the additional flex of the Dyna frame. The Twincam is stiffer and holds up better there.

The model to look for is either the Sport or Convertible. Both sit about an inch higher than stock for better cornering clearance, have a little more rake for stability and dual front disks for better stopping. The Convertible has a squishier seat, other than that, they're pretty much the same.

Cult following? Whatever gave you that idea?
We're 'A Cult Above'®.

joe

FXRT- Hubba Hubba