Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Suspension
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Suspension Shocks, Forks, Front Ends, Stabilizers, etc...

Old 07-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Paging Smart Dave! Rushmore swing away adjusting???

On a Rushmore touring Harley, (2015 FLHTK) when adjusting the swing away, you remove the outer faring and loosen the pinch bolt.

Then according to the diagram of tightening / loosening one way or the other. Which is kind of confusing in it's own beauty of their drawing / diagram with curved arrows.

If you have done one, could you better describe it in clockwise / anti-clockwise, looking up from the bottom, where you insert the 1/4" (one quarter inch) extension, to adjust tighter or looser?

Thanks.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Pics!

Looks like lefty tighty . . .

Righty loosey . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180707_085010.jpg (47.1 KB, 52 views)

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 07-07-2018, 11:47 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Thanks for that Tom.

I need to do mine, so this is a big help.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 07-07-2018, 11:57 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Put a rag or something soft on top of the fender, for when that 1/4 inch extension falls off the wrench.

There is more to measuring the swing on the other page, but this all started with the dealer chasing the front brake rotor(s) warped and shaking the faring when they are applied above 40 MPH.

First "fix" was to replace the front axle bearings.

Second "fix" they loosened the swing away and that developed into a tank slapper in the corners.

Third "fix" for the tank slapping was to loosen them to the point where you can't let go of the bars below 40 MPH because they shake to the point of crashing.

So I guess I'll just have to tighten the swing away to the point it almost produces the "weave" action. (too tight)

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 07-07-2018, 08:50 PM
The other white meat

Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
Third "fix" for the tank slapping was to loosen them to the point where you can't let go of the bars below 40 MPH because they shake to the point of crashing.

That's exactly what I am experiencing. How long an extension do you need?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 07-07-2018, 09:30 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

I seem to recall 6" of a 1/4" drive, you can look up the bottom of the steering tube above the fender and see the hole where you stick the end of the extension.

If I get round to it, I'll take more pics of the pages of the manual and post up.

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 07-08-2018, 07:57 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Heres some more20180707_195957.jpg

20180707_200007.jpg

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 07-08-2018, 07:59 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

And a couple more. I took the pics in a different orientation but still

20180707_200020.jpg

20180707_200051.jpg

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 07-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

I'm in.

Now getting to that pinch bolt at the top of the stem is going to need a Ball Tip Hex driver (Socket)...

To sneak past all the wires and radio crap, or face more parts coming off to get to it.

this...

https://store.snapon.com/Ball-Hex-St...t-P651591.aspx

Which you could use a good 5/16" socket to fit it into. Edit: get the bit and a good 5/16" 1/4" drive universal socket (like a Snap-On) because that is what I have on hand and it worked, held up to the 25 ft lb of the torque wrench when I tightened the pinch bolt.

Or this... >>> Edit not this below, not enough room.

https://store.snapon.com/Ball-Hex-St...r-P631245.aspx

Sadly I have no tool trucks that come through town.

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Last edited by Fe Butte; 07-12-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:01 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Maybe you can see pinch bolt in these pics?

It appears as if you cut out those two legs above the black and purple wires it would give better access, as the last person in there didn't feel they needed to put the large grey connector back in those clips, I guess they are not really needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Last edited by Fe Butte; 07-12-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:58 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

OK, so sacrificed the ball end of a Bondhus 5/16" hex wrench, had to go borrow the neighbors vice and air to drive my die grinder cut off wheel and cut the ball and 1 inch of the shaft off.

Found that I could get in there good with a 1/4" drive 8 mm S-O universal socket. Slathered the ball with some fine valve lapping compound to prevent slippage of the bit and round out the pinch bolt.

Was able to lefty tighten the bolt up under the fork stem increases the swing before it falls back to center on it's own.

So now just waiting on the primary adjuster shoe bolts and go for a test ride after putting all that back together.

If I can't induce a weave (what happens if you go too tight on the swing away) at speed and there is lack of wobble at 30 MPH with hands off bars it will be golden.

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 07-12-2018, 05:18 PM
The other white meat

That pinch bolt looks like it's in a great spot....NOT!

What are those legs above the wires for? Can a large enough hole be drilled in them to make for easier access?

[
Old 07-12-2018, 06:05 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

In the second pic, there is a large grey hardshell connector, with pinkish looking wires, that looks like it would clip in there, as it wasn't, I decided to clip off the two "legs" they pretty much snapped off flush when I was cutting them with a pair of diagonal cutters.

The 1/4" drive 5/16" socket, with the 5/16" ball hex bit. (what I made out of my bondhus angle hex wrench is about 1 1/2" long overall), 1/4" of it fits into the 8mm (5/16") just fits in there below the tray (?) below the radio.

Still a bit of an awkward angle, but keep a close eye on it and firmly pushed into the recess of the hex head bolt and you can loosen it / tighten it. There are ribs on the outer "barrel" of the hex bolt head you can watch for movement.

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 07-12-2018, 08:44 PM
The other white meat

Ah, removing it would work even better Looks like you have a CB module in there? Did you add that after the fact?

[
Old 07-12-2018, 09:00 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Limited came with the CB.

Taking out the radio involves removing the vent, the instrument cluster and from the looks of things the "shelf" under the radio stays in place.

Doesn't say anything about removing the radio to get to the pinch bolt, just the windshield and outer faring.

Just have to be sneaky getting to it and lots of patience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...