Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 10-08-2012, 08:28 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Well, did you check it?

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Well, did you check it?
Yeah, that.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 10-11-2012, 10:24 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Nah, been too busy riding to and from work.....kitchen remodel just wrapping up, so I haven't had the time.

When the rattle gets annoying, I move my toe over and it stops

I'll look at it this weekend.....I have a fancy schmancy gear shift linkage to put on the scoot too, I've only had it for about 2 years now.....

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Type O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Did that to mine about five years ago ran through some puddles and the shifting was not returning like it should so I used graphite on the heim joints and never had that problem again

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 10-18-2012, 08:03 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
So I finally got around to replacing the linkages. While I had it apart, I was able to "blacken" my jiffy stand and bracket as well as the forward shifter arm that bolts to the front of the shift linkage.

The front linkage was a bit loose on the shaft (huh huh), the rear is rock solid. I even tried to tighten for good measure, no dice. Its on there pretty good. After a trip to the hardware store, had everything I needed to put it back together.

No more annoying rattle! and no, I didn't take pics......

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 AM
along came Blondie......

And now with a pic....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 277262_10151094289300753_1099099401_o.jpg (70.6 KB, 31 views)

Old 10-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Ooohh!

Ahhhh!

And button screws, to boot!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
The issue is that the lever is really beefy and the little 1/4" clamp bolt doesn't have enough moxie to deflect the clamping portion of the lever more than just a few thousandths. Once it's worn, it can't clamp it *enough*.
The fix is a bench vise with wood jaws to squeeze the empty clamp end of the lever enough to permanently close it maybe ten or twenty thousandths tighter.
Now it won't just slip right onto the shaft anymore so you then tap a flat screwdriver blade in the lever's slot to open it enough to slide over the spline. Once it's in place, remove the screwdriver, the lever will now be clamped tight even without the bolt. Now install the bolt and since it only has to deflect the thing maybe two thousandths, it is actually effective.
You're done.

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.504262,-94.682650

I repaired one for a friend last week. The lever was loose on the shifter shaft. It would not tighten. I've seen it before. The splines on the inside of the lever hole wear slightly. The pinch clamp gets all used up. That is, the pinch gets pinched completely closed . . . and it isn't enough. I took the lever off the shaft (it's an '09 so removal of the primary not necessary). Then, using a very thin diamond grinding disk, made the pinch WIDER. Put the lever back on the shaft and inserted/tightened the pinch bolt to the torque value in the shop manual. Shifter arm is now good and tight onto the shaft.

I don't think it's a permanent fix, though. Told my friend to buy a new shifter arm and we'll do it again.

By the way, the shifter arm is the softer metal for a reason. The shifter shaft rarely gets damaged. The the much more easily-replaced shift arm is sacrificed, instead. Thank you, Motor Company, for making it where the shifter arm can be removed without primary tear-down. It's now a 20 minute job. Used to be 3 - 4 hours.

Ken
---
Old 10-22-2012, 07:43 AM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken R View Post
I repaired one for a friend last week. The lever was loose on the shifter shaft. It would not tighten. I've seen it before. The splines on the inside of the lever hole wear slightly. The pinch clamp gets all used up. That is, the pinch gets pinched completely closed . . . and it isn't enough. I took the lever off the shaft (it's an '09 so removal of the primary not necessary). Then, using a very thin diamond grinding disk, made the pinch WIDER. Put the lever back on the shaft and inserted/tightened the pinch bolt to the torque value in the shop manual. Shifter arm is now good and tight onto the shaft.

I don't think it's a permanent fix, though. Told my friend to buy a new shifter arm and we'll do it again.

By the way, the shifter arm is the softer metal for a reason. The shifter shaft rarely gets damaged. The the much more easily-replaced shift arm is sacrificed, instead. Thank you, Motor Company, for making it where the shifter arm can be removed without primary tear-down. It's now a 20 minute job. Used to be 3 - 4 hours.

Ken
---
I had to splain that to someone that saw my work this weekend. They asked how long it took me, I told them about 10 mins not counting the painting and trip to the hardware store. They asked how I could pull/refit the primary in 10 mins. Told them I didn't have to!