Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:49 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
What josh say's is gold. I was able to put the S&S gear drive in mine. I don't worry anymore.

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Old 01-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanchez View Post
The SE Hybrid plate uses the existing Morse chain to connect the cams together on the inboard side of the plate, and it you have a 99-01 bike you have to use your old Morse chain on the outside as well (although there are workarounds here). Lots of folks think these chains were to blame for the high rate of wear with the old system,and are concerned they might wear the new style tensioners faster than the roller chains do. With the Herko kit you get the same type setup as the 06-later Dynas, and 07 later other engines, meaning no Morse chains. If you are doing the work yourself you won't have to press outer bearings into the cam plate because there are none, so you might save some in tool cost.
What kind of cams does the Herko kit use?
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 01-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Double-D

Dsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographic
Umm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
What kind of cams does the Herko kit use?

....haven't looked into it that far yet but I provided a link to Herko (John)...give him a call...he's a stand up guy & from what I understand his kits are very reasonable. They are raved about on Harley Tech Talk as well as his other services.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Under Construction

TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
....haven't looked into it that far yet but I provided a link to Herko (John)...give him a call...he's a stand up guy & from what I understand his kits are very reasonable. They are raved about on Harley Tech Talk as well as his other services.
It almost has to be something akin to the Andrews N cams in order to fit the case bearing journals.

I like the fact that the SE plate would allow me to retain the investment in the 37B cams I already bought. I agree that the chains were guilty of wearing the old tensioners, but a lot of that has to do with the constant and very heavy tension on them. The oil-fed hydro tensioners should not be anywhere near as hard on the tensioner shoe material.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 01-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Double-D

Dsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographic
Quote:
It almost has to be something akin to the Andrews N cams in order to fit the case bearing journals.

I like the fact that the SE plate would allow me to retain the investment in the 37B cams I already bought. I agree that the chains were guilty of wearing the old tensioners, but a lot of that has to do with the constant and very heavy tension on them. The oil-fed hydro tensioners should not be anywhere near as hard on the tensioner shoe material.

Your reasoning seems solid. In your case I might go for it. I still encourage you to call John just for the hell of it. I "met" him on Harley Tech Talk and a friend of mine has done business with him. I spoke with him about a tuning question I had relating to my TTS MASTERTUNE and he was helpful.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Double-D

Cams

Quote:

BTW...Whenever I get around to doing cams in my dyna...those 37s are definitely on my short list. My Buddy runs 37s in his 2001 Dyna and that puppy has some nice upper end. I like the 26s in my FLH and they are probably the other one I'd look at. Anyway...good luck to ya !

Old 01-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddrockr View Post
Another thing to remember is the 400.00$ in special tools that you will need regardless of witch way you go. But Georges Garage is a sponsor of the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apache36 View Post
there are those around here who have the tools and will loan them.....
Quote:
Or send me your address and you can use mine.

I love this place.

There's a lot of good info here, I'll have to do some more research. The Andrews setup sounds logical but man, thats a long laundry list of HD parts required, plus the special cams...I don't know, sounds pricey. More research of course.

The new (later) shoes are made of better material, eh? Does anyone offer direct replacements for the originals that are made of the better material? Do any of the hydraulic setups NOT require new cams & oil pump?
I HAVE decided one thing thanks to the above info...I'm NOT going to just let it ride; I will at the very least replace the tensioners with new OEM.

Keep it coming!

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Under Construction

Quote:
Your reasoning seems solid. In your case I might go for it. I still encourage you to call John just for the hell of it. I "met" him on Harley Tech Talk and a friend of mine has done business with him. I spoke with him about a tuning question I had relating to my TTS MASTERTUNE and he was helpful.
I probably have another 30-40K before I go into it again, but I'll keep this in mind.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by masstch View Post
Does anyone offer direct replacements for the originals that are made of the better material?]
I looked when I was preparing to do mine and could not find anything. I have noticed HD keeps upping the price on them though, so maybe someone will eventually put something on the market.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Andrews sells complete conversion cam kits, so you don't have to run to the dealer with the shopping list..

1999-2001: P/N 288999
2002-2006: P/N 288902

This does not include the cams.

Here's the updated Andrews conversion .pdf....

<clicky>

I'm mulling the hydraulic thing as well. Gonna go talk to an engine guy tomorrow regarding the pros and cons of gears vs. hydraulic.

One more thing: here's an magazine article describing the conversion..

<clicky here>

Last edited by orbit; 01-27-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
So far, it looks like there are essentially two ways to go; either spend 200 bux to remain all stock with fresh junk tensioners... OR, spend 850+ to convert to either hydraulic & cams or gears & cams. Maybe theres a middle ground? You know, upgraded tensioners keep the old cams or similar. Still hoping.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 01-28-2010, 12:58 AM
Double-D

BigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milk
Ricky,

The SE upgrade including the spacer would be about $360 and change shipped from Jenni. While it does use the original chains on the 01 I think it's a good upgrade. Uses the better material shoes and I think its very reasonable that removing the pressure on the tensioners when you stop will go a long way toward eliminating the problem. Still just a guess though. I just did it on my RK if it's any consolation.

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 AM
Enzyte Bob

Mercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographic
The 07 & up stock plate & hydralic tensioner set-up is a good upgrade. I heard many builders say it is just fine, and is much cheaper than the S.E. plate. You still need the conversion cams.

*2007 FXSTC 103*
103+ Heads, 50mm Throttle Body, Andrews 54 H Cams
PC 111, Rinehart 2 into 1's
108 HP 112 FP/T SAE
43 ft/lbs of Doof
Built by Me
Tuned by Jesse @ 41 Cycles
I am Bob

+

The Square Root of 1849 is...

If anyone is interested in time travel, meet me last Tuesday at the Ga 43 sign.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:25 AM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
You can save yourself pulling the top end by cutting the old push rods with bolt cutters and replacing them with quick installs. Your call on whether it's worth it. SE tapered and S&S are the local favorites.

Engine by Otto.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:34 AM
ocifer slacky pants
Double-D

Location: Half way down the trail to hell, in a shady meadow of green
Last Cigar Smoked: Nub Dub
squish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMiller View Post
You can save yourself pulling the top end by cutting the old push rods with bolt cutters and replacing them with quick installs. Your call on whether it's worth it. SE tapered and S&S are the local favorites.

i went with the S&S

CAUTION! You have entered a Harley based forum. Apply a liberal amount of BS repellent to skin before reading anything by anybody.