Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > MotoCamping
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

MotoCamping A forum where we swap campground reviews, trip reports, equipment reviews, bike packing, safety, NF, SF, State and National Park reviews, blahblahblah...

Old 05-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
Another fine motorcycle camping trip planned

June 27 through July 9th, you can find me on my motorcycle, in a tent, or hiking the trails of Arizona, Utah, and Colorado.
My trip with Dan, George, and Mike last summer was maybe one of the highlights of my motorcycle touring. Dan was our leader since he knew what to take, what to leave home, and how to pitch a tent. Seriously, I don't think we could have done it without him. He remembered to bring a hammer and tent stake puller.

So we have a new camping trip planned for this summer.
Leaving Dallas/Ft Worth early on Saturday, June 27th. Riding all day long (probably 12 hours or more) to Albuquerque (which I have only recently learned how to spell). There, we're staying in a La Quinta on the west side of the city.

On the 28th, we're riding northwest by the Shiprock on the way to Page, Arizona. It shouldn't be more than an 8 hour ride; have tent camping places reserved for 2 nights at the Wahweap campground on Lake Powell.

On the 29th, we're taking slot canyon tours with local indian photographers/guides. Mike may take a boat tour into the flooded slot canyons.

On the June 30th, we travel to the magnificent Grand Canyon North Rim this time; where we have tent campsites reserved in the National Park. (Got lucky, there were 2 sites left months ago when the plans were made). Last year we wanted to go to the North Rim, but also wanted to spend a full day in Zion National Park; so we passed it up in order to have 2 nights in Zion.

July 1st, we have a leisurely ride with lots to see between the Grand Canyon North Rim and Bryce National park were we'll be camping in the same campground as last year. Bryce had more to see and do than expected last year, so we're going back. Want to do some hiking down in the canyon amongst the hoodoos. The supper at the Bryce Lodge was outstanding.

July 2nd, 6 hour ride to Moab where we're staying 2 nights in a wooded campground only 2 blocks from downtown. That means we can walk to supper and have the beverage of our choice. Canyonlands, Arches, Dead Horse State Park, and maybe a river boat ride planned.

July 4th, we arrive at a campground just north of Glenwood Springs, Colorado. But on the way, we will experience the Colorado National Monument, which I understand is absolutely awesome. That evening, we might get down to Aspen to witness their 4th of July celebration.

July 5th, we're camping in Rocky Mountain National Park. Also camping there on July 6th. We'll have a full day of enjoying the park on it's 100th birthday.

July 7th, we'll head down towards Colorado Springs; the back way. I have a camping site at the Mueller State Park on the western flanks of Pike's Peak. There's supposed to be a lot of wildlife there. Sadly, this will be our last night of camping.

July 8th, we'll make a stop at Royal Gorge for a couple of hours and then head to Amarillo where we're staying our last night in a Holiday Inn. Big Texan Steak House is right nearby and sounds pretty good to me.

July 9th and we're only 6 hours from home. It's always a let-down to come across 380 from Decatur to Denton and get into the high density, high speed traffic on Interstate 35 with all the noise, jets flying over, everyone in a hurry. It's the worst part of the trip but just about the only way to get home.

Why am I typing all of this? Because if anyone's path crosses ours, let us know. Don't know where we're stopping for most meals yet, but would be cool to see other people we know.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:47 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Sounds like a blast. Sorry I'm going to miss it this year. I've got a 2 lb bag and 10 pounds of stuff to do.

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 05-22-2015, 11:57 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
So very jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-23-2015, 12:00 AM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
That sure sounds terrific.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 05-23-2015, 07:02 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
It's cool in the morning up on the north rim... Big Mule Deer too, so keep an eye out.

I'd love to take that ride around the north rim again. Are you staying in the park, or at the camp ground by the turn off at the country store?

Sounds like a fun trip.. Minus sleeping on the ground.

Kimber

Old 05-23-2015, 10:35 AM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
Enjoy your trip. Ride like they're all trying to kill you. Cause they are. I'm going road tripping through the west soon.

BOB

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology
Old 05-23-2015, 09:49 PM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
It's cool in the morning up on the north rim... Big Mule Deer too, so keep an eye out.

I'd love to take that ride around the north rim again. Are you staying in the park, or at the camp ground by the turn off at the country store?

Sounds like a fun trip.. Minus sleeping on the ground.
Luckily reserved two tent camping sites inside the national park. Our site appears to be a short sleep-walk from the rim. We'll be there half of one day, that night, and all morning of the next; however long we wish before heading to Bryce.

Ken