Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Carburetor
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Yes its a good thing, I got the speedy internet connection. When I saw CV40 modification, I knew I was close.

If I can take any pics or help let me know. I've been in more carbs, then ladies panties. Not sure if that is good, but I have counted.

I may get that carb out tomorrow, just to play with.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dan View Post
Did you do all that stuff to your carb? Drilling the vacuum port hole to 1/8" and the like?
No I didn't Tech at dealer, said with a heavy touring bike, it wouldn't help. So I chose less work.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm going to take the conservative approach. Minton says just changing the jet needle and adjusting the idle air screw does everything that needs to be done. If I'm not happy with the results, I'll go further.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 04-28-2009, 11:30 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
I'm going to take the conservative approach. Minton says just changing the jet needle and adjusting the idle air screw does everything that needs to be done. If I'm not happy with the results, I'll go further.
Dan, do you know how to adjust your idle mixture? Also if your adjusting and you go more than 2.5 turns out from closed you should go up to the next idle jet size. I'll be suprised if you don't have to so I would go ahead and get the jet now. IIRC you have a 42 pilot jet stock and next step is a 45. Even my wife's 1200 sporty uses the 45.

Joe

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 04-29-2009, 04:54 AM
R.I.P.
you know better...

mongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Dan, the advice here is sound. I put a Big Sucker on my Dyna (stock 88TC with Cycle Shack slip-ons) changed jet to a #45, (not readily available at the dealer, but ordered) and shimmed needle with a #4 brass washer, .050 inch thick, IIRC. Plugs run a nice cinnamon color with just a little popping on deceleration. It's easy and cheap as long as you're careful with the drill

I have a good set of clear photo instructions, if I can find them. From HDF I think.

43% improvement in air flow!

So long for now RedRider

Nine-mile skid, on a ten-mile ride,
Hot as a pistol but cool inside.
Like I told ya, what I said,
Steal your face right off your head.

1965------2006

Old 04-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
Dan, do you know how to adjust your idle mixture? Also if your adjusting and you go more than 2.5 turns out from closed you should go up to the next idle jet size. I'll be suprised if you don't have to so I would go ahead and get the jet now. IIRC you have a 42 pilot jet stock and next step is a 45. Even my wife's 1200 sporty uses the 45.

Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
Dan, the advice here is sound. I put a Big Sucker on my Dyna (stock 88TC with Cycle Shack slip-ons) changed jet to a #45, (not readily available at the dealer, but ordered) and shimmed needle with a #4 brass washer, .050 inch thick, IIRC. Plugs run a nice cinnamon color with just a little popping on deceleration. It's easy and cheap as long as you're careful with the drill

I have a good set of clear photo instructions, if I can find them. From HDF I think.

43% improvement in air flow!
When I get home this evening, I'll post a longer response to your posts. The short version is that there seems to be as many opinions on tuning HDs as there are tuners. I think one has to pick the guy who has the same philisophy as the owner. Joe Minton is the guy I chose.

Then we can kick the shit out of this.

Really, I value the opinions posted here. I'd like to read opinions on my plans.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 04-29-2009, 08:04 AM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
When I get home this evening, I'll post a longer response to your posts. The short version is that there seems to be as many opinions on tuning HDs as there are tuners. I think one has to pick the guy who has the same philisophy as the owner. Joe Minton is the guy I chose.

Then we can kick the shit out of this.

Really, I value the opinions posted here. I'd like to read opinions on my plans.
Dan, I tuned my Fatboy the same way you are looking to tune your bike. I did a stage 1 (filter and pipes) and used the Sportster needle/air mixture screw adjustments to get fairly close to what they needed to be. Took some time to get it to where I liked it, but it worked. This came among all the discussions that I needed a thunderjet kit to rejet everything and get a dyno tune. While I may not have gotten spot on, it was close enough and the bike ran well enough for me to be happy with it.

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Nowhereman

Quote:
Bastages.

I just have an aversion to drilling on my carb.
Well, you'll never be a dentist....
Old 04-29-2009, 08:43 AM
R.I.P.
you know better...

mongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowmongoose has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Here's a pretty good pic of a CV carb guts and a pretty good description of carb tuning. I did this work without raising the tank, just taking the carb off the rubber sleeve that mounts it, and disconnecting the throttle cables.

So long for now RedRider

1965------2006

Old 04-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Excommunicated

Alot of people do jets, but needle lets more gas in too. So who the hell knows. Just your time, probably really notice the difference between aproachs. I did jets and I think needle. But a jet kit, which was rip off. Buy it invidual, a jet is cheap. Needles vary. I've seen them for some application cheap, but for sleds and my magna they ran about $25.

I want to put a bigger on in my FLHR. Which is probably something I can do from chair, just need to space the bikes out and get at tools.

The one PIA for needles is getting diasgrpham back in place. Manual says to put in freezer if tough. Which may be true. I did 4 CVs on my magna in the winter, went easy, tougher in summer on HD. But just takes time.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Excommunicated

If you ever do jets, get some float bowl screws, they strip. I try to keep some on hand. Not sure at the moment. Probably unlabled in a bag somewhere.

Tap with screw driver hammer too.

I have gotten many off with vicegrips, so no biggie. I am probably heavy handed. I bought brand new stubby screwdriver just for that. You can do jets with it on bike. If you get really bored, can see if there is a difference. Realy bored.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:44 AM
R.I.P.
you know better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Alot of people do jets, but needle lets more gas in too. So who the hell knows. Just your time, probably really notice the difference between aproachs. I did jets and I think needle. But a jet kit, which was rip off. Buy it invidual, a jet is cheap. Needles vary. I've seen them for some application cheap, but for sleds and my magna they ran about $25.

I want to put a bigger on in my FLHR. Which is probably something I can do from chair, just need to space the bikes out and get at tools.

The one PIA for needles is getting diasgrpham back in place. Manual says to put in freezer if tough. Which may be true. I did 4 CVs on my magna in the winter, went easy, tougher in summer on HD. But just takes time.
#45 jet...$4.00 at HD.

Very true about diaphragm. Best to be sober when doing this part. And the drilling part, too.

So long for now RedRider

1965------2006

Old 04-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Excommunicated

That article says to start at one turn out. Granted he is the writer, and someone gave a place to write, but that seems low. Count turns going in. I thought I was at 1 3/4 start. I could be wrong. I got notes in my service manual.

I am just going on memory, and this guy is actually a tech writer. So I am probably wrong.

Nightrider says 2 1/2.

Ya, I am going on about this, I got lots of free time.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
That article says to start at one turn out. Granted he is the writer, and someone gave a place to write, but that seems low. Count turns going in. I thought I was at 1 3/4 start. I could be wrong. I got notes in my service manual.

I am just going on memory, and this guy is actually a tech writer. So I am probably wrong.

Nightrider says 2 1/2.

Ya, I am going on about this, I got lots of free time.

I figure I'll drill out the plug and leave the screw right where it is as a starting point. Not much is getting changed so it will start and run. I'll make the adjustments after I get it going. Probably, turn it in while counting turns in...just to see. Then put it back where it was, unless it's really screwed in. Maybe give it 1/2 turn out. It really can't be that far off from a good running point.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 04-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
It really can't be that far off from a good running point.
No, no it can't. No people wouldn't be buying high flow air cleaners, pipes, fuel inject tuners, jetting, if it was. Ok, you got me on the pipes.

I personally would do high flow air cleaner.

I went out and got my serice manual. My notes say, factory 1 3/4 I turned out 1/2 to 2 1/4.

That article says start at 1. I don't get that. That would be less. Unless I misinturpting my note, which is " 1 3/4 -- 2 1/4"