Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Ask The Techs...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Ask The Techs... This is the way it works. Post up your question in the appropriate Forum, then put a link to it here. We'll ask some very savvy folks to monitor the posts here and answer your question. If you are a Tech answering a question, please do it in the linked thread rather than here. In this way, we can build info in the appropriate Forum. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
No comprede

I'm in a quandary people. I thought I was ready to re install my cam plate with new tensioners. But alas, I have come to learn I needed to align my oil pump before hand. I didn't disassemble it, and it did line back up the same way on the crankshaft. I read the brief instruction describing doing so, but I just can't wrap my head around it at the moment. Long day, and I'm quite fatigued. My work is resuming soon, but I have to travel the 20+ miles to my friends shop. Would anyone with the ability to esplane it to me.
Thanks in advance, Bob

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology

Last edited by Turbo Turtle; 06-05-2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Because I can
Old 06-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Augmented

Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
Anyone? Does the alignment have to do with aligning the flat surfaces of each of the two pumps in order to fit back on the crankshaft?

BOB

Old 06-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Dude, I got nothin'

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM
Old 06-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Outlaw

Last Cigar Smoked: Camel WIDES
Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidglide View Post
Dude, I got nothin'
You bragging or complaining?

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog." - Michael Vick.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Bob, just run the screws up till they just touch, then loosen each a 1/4 turn. Turn the engine by hand a through a few revolutions, then snug the bolts.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 06-04-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:57 AM
Augmented

Being so far out and removed from the city, and having no interweb there, searching and answers are limited. I kinda had it guessed, but needed some confirmation being it's my first time in. I believe I've just googled confirmation of thought and suspicions. But am waiting till....uh, later today to button this job up. Then to install new front and tear tires. This is eating up some of my vacation time. :-(

Old 06-04-2014, 05:20 AM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
What Ricky said....it's much easier if you have help to turn the engine over while you center the pump. Plugs out and in 5th gear. Manual calls for alignment screws, you can use 1/4-20 countersunk machine screws in a pinch. As the wheel is being turned slowly alternately tighten the machine screws (installed in opposing holes) until it clamps the pump housing in place

Install and torque the stock screws in open holes. Remove countersunk screws and install stock screws.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Doug View Post
You bragging or complaining?
Never done a twin cam oil pump (yet), thus, I got nothin'.

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM
Old 06-04-2014, 07:15 AM
Augmented

Yea, I'm giving Steve (Geiserglide) a call here in a few minutes to confirm my suspicions. I believe I have it right now. I sure can't afford to have it crap on me soon after performing this service.
This just happens to have come when both my car and truck are out of commission. This has not happened since I have had backup vehicles, and I happen to have a couple these days. The car and truck aren't hard repairs, I just need a lift to work on the truck, and my buddy who's shop I'm working in has just that. But alas, it is 20+mi. from the house. Oh, and TIME! Their should be more of it!

BOB

Old 06-04-2014, 08:23 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
A lift to work on the truck? It one o' them Meskin' low riders?

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Outlaw

Last Cigar Smoked: Camel WIDES
Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidglide View Post
Never done a twin cam oil pump (yet), thus, I got nothin'.
Me either, I ain't going to fix what's not broken.

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog." - Michael Vick.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Augmented

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
A lift to work on the truck? It one o' them Meskin' low riders?

No Dave, it's actually a locked and lifted Toyota Mini truck. I need to pull the transmission, with transfer case attached. It's a chunk, even for a Toyota. I seem to have burnt up the input shaft bearing. Helz, those things aren't spozed to go bad at 30 years old. I should have gotten another ten years and 200,000 miles. Lol

And Sidecar Doug. I don't normally fix whut ain't broke, but if I had waited till then, I would have been shopping for a complete used motor for my scoot.

I completed my repairs last night and it didn't start. So, I thought what would a doof do? So I re installed the spark Plugs/wires and it fired right up. rode to the GF's and then home. I wasn't able to get the two into one Supertrapp installed, but I hope to have it on by ES. I ripped my old exhaust off not intending to re install it, but alas I had to have something on there, so it's back to the SE slip on's.

BOB

Tags
align oil pump, Oil pump