Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > Random Crap
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Random Crap I'm just sayin'.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:32 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Special Tools?

Don't always need them.

I recently replaced wheel bearings, neck bearings, and this weekend finally replaced the swing arm pivot bearings and the isolaters.

The blind bearing puller wouldn't work for removing the pivot bearings so I drove them out with a suitable sized 1 1/8" socket and a long extension to drive both side out separately. Worked good. I made sure to clean up the inside of everything as it's was pretty grimy after 107k miles.

For installing the new pivot bearings, I used the threaded rod, a couple of different sized washers and a steel spacer. You can't see in the picture but there is a washer inside the swing arm against the bearing, then the steel spacer and the external washers and tightening nut. I first had the bearings in the freezer for a couple hours. This gets them to slightly shrink, but you have to work quick as they start to heat up and expand as soon as they come out of the freezer. Once everything was lined up, it was a pretty simple effort to turn one nut and hold the other in place. The picture here I was resetting the bearing against the lip, because when I pressed in the inside spacers on the left side, I got carried away and pushed the bearing slightly away from the seat, so I had to re-seat it here. To set the pivot bearings I had to stand the threaded rod vertical in a bench mounted vice and stand the swingarm on it's side. I used the vice to hold the nut on the bottom half of the threaded rod so I only had to turn the nut on top to pull the bearing into position.

Once the bearings were set, I used the same tool to press in the inner spacers for the swing arm. I'm sure the shop could have done it a lot quicker than I did, but not at my cost. It took me longer with all the prep, and back to the hardware store for the right sized steel washers and spacer. No test ride, as it was almost 9 pm before I got done and cleaned up. I could tell though that the little bit of side to side play I could detect with the wheel out and the shocks disconnected was no longer there once reinstalled. Getting everything to line up when pushing the swing arm shaft back in was a little chore too. Sometimes a third had was needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swing Arm.jpg (65.8 KB, 44 views)

Kimber

Last edited by Backroad Mike; 06-01-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:29 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Ya sold me. Bringing my bike down for some work.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 06-01-2021, 07:20 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Nice job!

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 06-02-2021, 11:16 AM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
Hella job for many.

BoB

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology
Old 06-06-2021, 05:48 PM
Spyderman

fred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygiene
you lost me at wheel bearings.
“We are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. Intellectually, it is possible to carry on this process for an indefinite time: the only check on it is that sooner or later a false belief bumps up against solid reality, usually on a battlefield.”
—George Orwell, 1946

"The race may not always be to the swift nor the victory to the strong, but that's how you bet." - or - that's how the smart money bets...attributed to Damon Runyon
Old 06-08-2021, 04:01 PM
Double-D
Doof Gooner

Last Cigar Smoked: Bubble Gum
Redleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suck
Dang Mike