Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Electrical Systems & Diagnostics
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Electrical Systems & Diagnostics Troubleshoot electrical problems here.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
Intermittent Charging on a 10' Street Glide

I have yet to put my hands on this bike, but I know I will within the day. As the title states, a local acquaintance here is experiencing intermittent charging on his 10' Street Glide. He has noticed this via the factory gauge alone. I will go through the book for testing procedures, but would anyone know of a solid means of testing his scoot for the problem. The book didn't help me at all with a definitive answer on my Reg being out as well. I am thinking wiring up another gauge. Their should be one lying around here somewhere. Without seeing and knowing, I'm thinking the Voltage regulator is going out. I've never known a stator to get ginky like that, but anythings possible. I replaced my stator a couple years ago at 70K with OEM, only to find the Reg was out as well. OEM there as well. I know for warranty's sake CE wishes you to use both of their design stator and regulator. A bit over the top I think, but it does help cover themselves if and when one does go out.
What say the collective about testing and/or just replacing both for good measure and longevity. I/we will be most appreciative for any input here.

BOB

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology
Old 03-03-2016, 02:54 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
It's a three phase stator 2006 and up.

Was there a recall on 2010 FLHxxxx regulators?

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 03-03-2016, 03:32 PM
Augmented

Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
It's a three phase stator 2006 and up.

Was there a recall on 2010 FLHxxxx regulators?
If their is/was, this ones six years old now, so it has lasted a good while

I noticed a pretty detailed charging system testing procedure on that "Chicken on a Chain" Forum. Happy he has made no contribution in the electrical section.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:33 PM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Stator plug loose?

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 03-03-2016, 03:39 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
You could use a multi meter to confirm what the gauge is indicating.

Electrical manual would show diagnostics for VR.

I have a manual for 02. If yours is indeed three phase, procedure may be different.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:17 PM
Augmented

Mines a 06' and I posses the two manuals and parts man as well. This is a 10' I'll be looking at later today or tomorrow. I'm certain its three phase 50 amp like mine. Friend Cris is an electrician and can help me diagnose his buddies scoot.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
First things first: The book procedure for testing the VR is this:
Test the stator and if it's good, then assume its the regulator and buy one of those.
I swear...that's the book instruction.

The real answer:
1.) Verify reported symptoms with a voltmeter. Erratic voltage is BEST detected with an ANALOG voltmeter.
2.) Pull the seat and clean and tighten the battery cables.
3.) Check the ground connections on the frame and the engine case.
4.) Pull the connector from the stator, look for corrosion/moisture.
5.) Use a DVM to test the stator leads for *ANY* continuity to ground. Switch the DVM to "MEG ohms" if it doesn't auto-range. If there is ANY connection to ground, the stator is bad. (the connector must be dry for the test to be certain)
6.) Check resistance between the stator leads; I don't recall the number but there should be equal ohms between any two and they shouldn't be "open".
7.) Check again for ground connectors, every where.
8.) using a DVM set to AC Volts test for voltage across the disconnected stator leads with the engine running. You should have xx Volts AC. (I'll have to look up the number, probably 50-80?)
<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>

A.) If all these reveal no fault but, not charging, change the VR.
B.) If all these are good and it's charging, but erratic, disconnect the battery and load test it., could be a dead cell.

And, #43: You'll likely be done at step 2.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 03-03-2016, 05:17 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Gauge could be wonky as well.

Check the leads on the back of that.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:20 AM
Outlaw

Last Cigar Smoked: Camel WIDES
Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
How old is the battery? Start with the cheap & easy to replace parts first.

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog." - Michael Vick.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Mine last year was the voltage regulator.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 03-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Step #2

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 03-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Augmented

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
Step #2
I personally perform step two about every month or so. The reason being my last battery only allowed top post mounting which rubbed the underside of the seat, and thus would loosen. I keep it up now for posterity sake.
And we will get into this diagnosis tonight or over the weekend

BOB

Last edited by Turbo Turtle; 03-04-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Because I can
Old 03-04-2016, 11:51 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

On my Ultra, trying to leave for Ingram 14, it was the VR.

On the RK while in Junction '10, or '11(?) the stator shorted, took 'em both out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 03-05-2016, 12:04 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post
I personally perform step two about every month or so.

BOB

But not on HIS bike, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 03-05-2016, 08:35 AM
Augmented

I'm finally going to get a look at the bike in question today. I have already given and shown where to find fault and further diagnosis. I'm sure some points have been checked already

Tags
charging, non charging, Stator, voltage regulator