Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Suspension
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Suspension Shocks, Forks, Front Ends, Stabilizers, etc...

Old 05-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Fork options, '01 RK

No, not lookin' for a springer or a chopper, thanx.

I'd like to know what all of my options are for improving the front end on this thing. At a minimum, I will be taking them down and renewing all bushings and seals.
I'd like to know what is out there as far as alternatives for the damping system.
Also, what is the consensus on the Intiminator? I haven't read the whole report thread yet, but I'm gonna.
Progressive makes a cartridge for these; anyone have any experience with them?
Is there anything special about rebuilding the forks? Special tools?

I'm looking to tear into it this weekend.
All input appreciated.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 05-05-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
I have the Progressive Monotubes in my 00'. Simple install. Very pleased so far.

Greg
Old 05-05-2011, 06:28 PM
gAZINTAs

Hodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sock
Need to trade it.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:44 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I have the imitators in my front end i'm not sold on the whole deal, I went into some sharp turns at high speed I think around 85 and I had to let off the gas because I thought I was going down very shortly, that said, I have the progressive springs and intimtators, the ride seems ok, 05 train is more anal about these things and he likes them.....so basically I am no help
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 05-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Fork it!

Let's ride.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Iron View Post
I have the Progressive Monotubes in my 00'. Simple install. Very pleased so far.
use more words

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The Monotubes are getting good reviews, however they are not rebuildable and have a 30,000-40,000 mile lifespan. That's 18 months for me.

Both Traxxion and Motorcycle Metal make a complete, adjustable cartridge system. They're both around $1,300 and you have to send them your forks to modify them.

Racetech Emulators also get good reviews, however you have to drill out your damper rods.

The Intiminators work well, but like anything else, you've got to get them into the sweet spot. At the factory fluid level, the ride was improved, but had a little more harshness than I thought. I dropped the level to 10 oz and the difference is amazing. The next time I change fluid, I may increase the level just a hair.

On an '01, you may want to consider new springs. They're probably sagging a bit given their age, and you probably want a bit higher rate as well. For the record, I'm not a fan of progressive rate springs.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kflhr View Post
I have the imitators in my front end i'm not sold on the whole deal, I went into some sharp turns at high speed I think around 85 and I had to let off the gas because I thought I was going down very shortly, that said, I have the progressive springs and intimtators, the ride seems ok, 05 train is more anal about these things and he likes them.....so basically I am no help
OK, you got the 'taters and the springs.
It rides good.
but you went real fast and turned and near-bout fell down.

What's that mean, Dave?

Did the front end do something weird like wobble or bottom out?

(OK,OK. Wobble's not weird for me, I know...)

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
If I may speak for Davey......

We filled his forks to the factory level, and someone (who shall remain nameless) may have spilled a bit of fluid in one of the forks....

Old 05-05-2011, 07:18 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
the bike started to do the old frame type of death wobble in the front, however, I asked my buddy who was behind me and he said the same thing happened to him on his 05 RK, so I would say part of it was the road, but since I have "better parts" in my front end I "should" have had not experienced the same as him.....I am not sure what JAFO experienced and he never posts much....
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 05-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
use more words
Yes I probably should have used more. As Russ mentioned, I have read the mileage estimate a few places. I guess we'll see what the life span is. They supposedly have a lifetime warranty. I haven't had occasion to use it yet so I don't know how good Prog. is about backing it up. And of course the time to change them would be on you.

Anyway, you basically pull your dampening rod, spring, and oil, and put the monotube in it's place. They come with new caps for your top tube so you get rid of the ones with the air fitting in them. You put 5 oz. of fork oil in each tube to lube seals and your done. They have no means of adjustment. In the beginning I felt the were a bit stiff but I now believe it was just me being used to the old factory fork action. They are very responsive and don't seem to nose dive on hard braking. I really have no complaints about them. But, I have not tried any other type of fork improvement on this bike so I really don't have anything to compare them to other than the original, squishy, air system.

I was told they charge by the word here?

Greg
Old 05-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
the bike started to do the old frame type of death wobble in the front, however, I asked my buddy who was behind me and he said the same thing happened to him on his 05 RK, so I would say part of it was the road, but since I have "better parts" in my front end I "should" have had not experienced the same as him.....I am not sure what JAFO experienced and he never posts much....
One thing I have noticed is a bit of a wobble. It showed up about a month ago, so I tend to think I have a motor mount or swingarm bushing going south.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Ricky;

Russ and I were both looking into the intiminators at the same time. I installed them as well, but opted to keep the original non-progressive springs. Because mine was an 05 FLHTCUI, I had to remove the cartridge from one side and replace it with a dampner/spring assembly I picked up on fleebay so it would match the right side.

I used the recommended amount of fork oil during the conversion. I can't honestly say I can tell a tremendous difference, but there was some change in ride quality. It's also a much easier fork oil change now verses screwing with that cartridge in the left side.

I still have some nose dive during breaking, and I'm good with that because it's about the same as before. In order to eliminate it, I would probably have to make the front less foregiving and that's not going to happen.

When your "episode" on I-10 occurred, I was closing at a rather high rate in the same sweeping corner. I didn't feel the slightest bit of what I observed coming from your bike. When I installed the Ricors, I also changed all the fork bushings and neck bearings.

I'm also runing the Glide-Pro rear swing arm assembly that eliminates the donut HD stock system, and replaced the swing arm pivot bearings the week before Junction.

Kimber

Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
The Monotubes are getting good reviews, however they are not rebuildable and have a 30,000-40,000 mile lifespan. That's 18 months for me.

I could only hope to ride that much. My current rate will take me 4 yrs to get there.

Both Traxxion and Motorcycle Metal make a complete, adjustable cartridge system. They're both around $1,300 and you have to send them your forks to modify them.

Thats out of my range, unfortunately.

Racetech Emulators also get good reviews, however you have to drill out your damper rods.

Oh, I LIKE drilling holes in sh!t!

The Intiminators work well, but like anything else, you've got to get them into the sweet spot. At the factory fluid level, the ride was improved, but had a little more harshness than I thought. I dropped the level to 10 oz and the difference is amazing. The next time I change fluid, I may increase the level just a hair.

On an '01, you may want to consider new springs. They're probably sagging a bit given their age, and you probably want a bit higher rate as well. For the record, I'm not a fan of progressive rate springs.
I'm not sold on progressive rate springs either. I did just install pro 440s in the rear. That was more for the damping than the springs.
I'll be looking for sources for high-rate springs.

Quote:
Interesting to hear. As all here know, I've had some wobble issues. That might be a teensy understatement. My reason for the interest in improving the forks is partly driven by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Iron View Post
Yes I probably should have used more. As Russ mentioned, I have read the mileage estimate a few places. I guess we'll see what the life span is. They supposedly have a lifetime warranty. I haven't had occasion to use it yet so I don't know how good Prog. is about backing it up. And of course the time to change them would be on you.
Anyway, you basically pull your dampening rod, spring, and oil, and put the monotube in it's place. They come with new caps for your top tube so you get rid of the ones with the air fitting in them. You put 5 oz. of fork oil in each tube to lube seals and your done. They have no means of adjustment. In the beginning I felt the were a bit stiff but I now believe it was just me being used to the old factory fork action. They are very responsive and don't seem to nose dive on hard braking. I really have no complaints about them. But, I have not tried any other type of fork improvement on this bike so I really don't have anything to compare them to other than the original, squishy, air system.

I was told they charge by the word here?
That's just the right amount of words. And, no, they actually charge by the onion sack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
One thing I have noticed is a bit of a wobble. It showed up about a month ago, so I tend to think I have a motor mount or swingarm bushing going south.
I'm still dealing with wobble, but much less than previous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
Ricky;

Russ and I were both looking into the intiminators at the same time. I installed them as well, but opted to keep the original non-progressive springs. Because mine was an 05 FLHTCUI, I had to remove the cartridge from one side and replace it with a dampner/spring assembly I picked up on fleebay so it would match the right side.

I used the recommended amount of fork oil during the conversion. I can't honestly say I can tell a tremendous difference, but there was some change in ride quality. It's also a much easier fork oil change now verses screwing with that cartridge in the left side.

I still have some nose dive during breaking, and I'm good with that because it's about the same as before. In order to eliminate it, I would probably have to make the front less foregiving and that's not going to happen.

When your "episode" on I-10 occurred, I was closing at a rather high rate in the same sweeping corner. I didn't feel the slightest bit of what I observed coming from your bike. When I installed the Ricors, I also changed all the fork bushings and neck bearings.

I'm also runing the Glide-Pro rear swing arm assembly that eliminates the donut HD stock system, and replaced the swing arm pivot bearings the week before Junction.
I think that you're saying that the Intiminators didn't make a noticeable difference to you...certainly not a night/day difference(?)
Russ saw perhaps night/day but also changed springs and fluid level.

For those who are trying to follow along, I had a rather famous wobble episode at ES'09. Since then I have been trying to find the cause/cure of the wobble and have altered many things about the bike in order to do this. I actually felt that it was gone, though I hadn't found the 'smoking gun'.
On Friday, nearing Junction a short high-speed run revealed how very wrong my assumption was. At just over 100mph in a slight left sweeper, the wobble came back. Not as severe, but quite the attention-getter. Mike was closing on me at the time and got to watch the wobble. I was HOFDL and found that the wobble was throttle-responsive. which it wasn't before. Note for the record that while I previously had the Sta-Bo kit on the King, it was NOT installed during this trip. Yes, it will be re-installed poste-haste. I don't mean to imply that it would have prevented this occurrence, but I wish I could be sure. The Sta-Bo WAS in place at ES'09.

I am going to replace all the wear items in the front end and especially the head bearings. I really am coming back to the head bearings and swing-away. After new bearings I am going to set up the swing-away much tighter than stock, then more testing.
I'm thinking that without many really glowing appraisals of the Ricors I am looking for more on the Progressives and weighing them vs stock.
More input appreciated.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero No Mas View Post
Fork it!

Let's ride.
X2!!

®