Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Seats, Saddles, Pillions, Backrests, Luggage Racks & Paks
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 05-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
A Lesson I Had To Learn

One year on a big boy motorcycle.
Cruising home from Ingram, some fast traffic sets the (very good) pace and I'm in the back tagging along at a comfortable clip. Check the mirrors and there's something unexpected: an odd vertical something right close by...what the hell...

My Tour-Pak® is wide-the-fk open! The lid standing straight up. At hyper-legal speed, no less.
As far as I could tell, I *only* lost the liner of my Buzz Lightyear jacket and my atlas.
ZHT, camera, other lighter stuff still there. There was a helluva cross wind, so it would probably be off in one of the many farm fields I've been blowing by. I rode back and double-tracked for several miles...eventually giving up . The lesson is of course, make sure the Tour-Pak® latches (sucky as they are) are latched properly on a properly-closed lid.

Actually I am surprised the lid didn't get damaged. Maybe the fancy chrome hinges actually helped with this.

Has anyone here installed THESE?
They look like a slightly more positive latch than original. I'm hoping they would be less prone to 41-ness.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I always try to keep mine locked.

I'll check that link on my computer later.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 05-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Sorry man.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Like Billy, mine is usually locked..

I have departed the house a couple times and the latches were not closed. The rattling around was noticed however before I got out of the driveway.

On the other hand, both Patti and I lost prescription eyewear out of the top zipper pouch on the suitcase when we failed to check the zipper headed to Chips in 2012.

Kimber

Old 05-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Glad nothing too bad ass went down..... Premium hinges here and lock before takeoff without fail.

Dirk
Old 05-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I learned to lock by example on many rides. At least once on trips our group would come upon some biker with a saddle bag open and crap jumping out of the bags.

The funny thing was trying to bring their attention to their problem. You could wave and point, but they were too cool to interact with others.

Try packing one of those "umbrella" chairs on the tour pac rack, every time you glance over your shoulder for a lane change, OMG! there's something close to me!

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 05-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Birth Control PosterChild

Jackwagon stays crunchy even in milkJackwagon stays crunchy even in milkJackwagon stays crunchy even in milkJackwagon stays crunchy even in milkJackwagon stays crunchy even in milkJackwagon stays crunchy even in milkJackwagon stays crunchy even in milkJackwagon stays crunchy even in milkJackwagon stays crunchy even in milkJackwagon stays crunchy even in milkJackwagon stays crunchy even in milk
I got an idiot light on mine. Used it more then once.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Well, a silly thing to note: this bike actually has POWER LOCKS that I thought were sort of silly. I'll be re-thinking that.
I have a feeling that the thing was NOT unlatched, but rather, the latches were closed but the lid was not actually properly seated, so there would be no rattle...but no security either.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Sooooo.., has anyone used the premium latches?

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Those do look very nice, I bet you would have to make sure they latch fully, thus giving you some kind of peace of mind "knowing" you latched them before riding off.

Haven't tried them, just one more thing in my can't afford them bucket of stuff...

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 05-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Zintaround

pa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwagon View Post
I got an idiot light on mine. Used it more then once.
Wouldn't that be all of your lights?

Old 05-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa-glazier View Post
Wouldn't that be all of your lights?

Kimber

Old 05-13-2014, 08:22 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
Sooooo.., has anyone used the premium latches?
I haven't yet.

I suppose it would depend on how deep that hook actually gets seated in the mechanism. Have to see if a parts guy will let me open them up and examine.

I know the stock latches don't inspire a lot of confidence.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:38 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I've had the saddlebag latches open on their own, so I always lock those, but I've never seen the Tour-Pak® latches open by themselves.
I have forgotten to latch the Tour-Pak®, though.
Not saying that's what happened in your case, what with your big brain and all, but...

I had one break and go bouncing down the road, but there's two on obsolete bikes like mine.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.