Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Accessories
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Accessories Horns, Pegs, Guards, MP3, Sat. Radio, GPS, etc.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
ZUMO Added, A Few Notes

Mainly so that I can "remember" by looking here, if asked.

I bought a Zumo 665, intending to install it on my 2010 CVO Ultra exactly as the factory would have done it. Dan has a 2011 FLHTCUSE6 with the 660 factory installed and I wanted it to look and function like his.

I bought a new in box Zumo665 from a member of another forum.
I chose it because it was a crazy deal AND based on my own speculation that it was *exactly* the same as the Roadtech unit, save for the logo.

I've learned:

A. there's a separate component required (the Navigation Interface Module kit) which is also not in the RoadTech box, to make it able to interrupt the radio with traffic alerts.

B. apparently (not proven) there is a slightly different version of the Garmin software in the RoadTech that is required to make the unit play nice with the NIM.

C. The way the factory installs the unit does fully integrate it with the radio, but disables the AUX port in front. (not proven)

D. A mod exists to hardwire the NIM and save the AUX port functionality but requires modding the pre-amp circuit board inside the radio.

E. the Zumo does include the motorcyle mount (the hardwired baseplate) that you can put on a Ram mount.

F. the dashpad mount base is not included but those pieces are available from the MoCo and cheap, if you drill your dashpad rather than buy the dashpad with holes in it.

G. Despite possessing the tools/skills/knowledge/funds to do the circuit board mod and add the NIM, I didn't bother with that bit as I'm using a bluetooth headset and fully interfacing the Garmin with the stock speakers isn't worth any trouble to do for my purposes. I use the GPS on the highway when I couldn't hear the speakers well, anyway and that's the riding for which I got the bluetooth headset (and because:H)

H. I still don't know whether the RoadTech software can be had for my Zumo, but, again, no matter.

Summary: I mounted the 665 on the dash mount, it looks great! I use all the functions of the 665 via my Sena headset and BlueTooth (along with iPhone 6s and a Sena SM10 transmitter for listening to the factory radio with my headset.) The Zumo does NOT connect in any way to the stock radio or hand controls, it is hardwired for power only.
Thanks to the Sena's capabilities I am able to listen to, get alerts from (in this priority):
1. the phone
2. GPS
3. the factory radio for all its bands including XM.
All in my wireless headset.
If putting around town without the Sena, I use the stock speakers for music and if I use the Garmin, I have to make do with its internal speaker, which is fine at local speeds.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 04-10-2016, 12:06 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
It's been a number of years since I compared units, but when I had my CVO it came with a 660. I wanted the 665 for the satellite radio and the XM weather. When I compared the Road Tech vs. the Garmin units I had reasons I chose the Garmin. Can't remember them all, but if i recall the Road Tech has a different firmware and you could only get map updates from Harley.

I sold my Road Tech 660 to my brother in law and he loves it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 04-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I have a few questions for you, Ricky.......

1. How do you have the unit hardwired? How many power wires total?

2. How does the unit receive the traffic signal? Is the receiver in the power cord, or somewhere else?
Old 04-10-2016, 01:03 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I recall trying to get my 665 to play nice with BOPS. No joy. The XM wouldn't work with the NIM.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 04-10-2016, 01:12 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I honestly don't know what it uses for the traffic (FM) antenna except to say that I used the wire that was included on its mount which is a couple of feet long, folded, zip-tied in the fairing. It had a fuse holder already and I didn't cut any wire just in case I later wanted to add the NIM. That cable *may* contain an FM antenna element. The antenna may be inside the GPS itself. One of the most noticeable aspects of the 665 is that it is surprisingly heavy.
I don't even know IF it has the FM-based Traffic system as my Nuvi does, because it does have XMNAV Traffic available as a subscription service via the XM antenna. So, it probably doesn't have both capabilities.
I installed the XM antenna during the process but haven't utilized it yet. My bike already had the XM module (and the CB module) on the HK radio from the factory, so that's where my XM subscription lives.
I could simply move my subscription to the Zumo and that was my original idea, playing with the notion that I would drop the XM that I have for my truck... and just carry the same GPS bike to truck, with only one XM subscription. That turns out to be slightly more complicated than I had assumed so I haven't done it and may not. In the fullness of time, perhaps.
As it is, The way that the three sources connect to the SENA works rather well with
1. iPhone as HFP;
2. Zumo as, uhmmm, hell, I don't even know which protocol, but using multi-point pairing and evidently HFP, not A2DP as it's monaural;
3. SM10 (HK radio) as A2DP for AM-FM-XM-CB-WB-NAV
4. if needed, the SM10 has another input for another audio gadget (passport,etc).

The handlebar controls work for all the HK stuff including XM. They don't affect the Garmin as it goes straight to the Sena.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 04-10-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stockman View Post
I recall trying to get my 665 to play nice with BOPS. No joy. The XM wouldn't work with the NIM.
Yes, the learning curve got me there as well.
The NIM is only to let **nav alerts ** interrupt the radio. the factory install includes wiring the XM (from the 665) into the AUX port ON THE FACE of the radio. This means you have to switch the radio to AUX to listen to ZUMO-provided XM, .
It actually does work as you simply pretend that "AUX" says "XM", but it removes your access to the AUX port if you wanted to add an iPod etc.
Since mine came with the XM module added onto the HK, it may be that I have the better setup after adding the ZUMO... and I should've gotten the 660.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 04-10-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:34 PM
Double-D

BigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milk
Iron Cross can install a rear aux port or it's quite doable to do it yourself. That way you don't have to run the wire around to the front. There are instructions on how to do it some where out there on the web.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015
Old 04-10-2016, 01:42 PM
The other white meat

Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stockman View Post
Yup. That was another reason I went with the Garmin. I just left the NIM in the fairing and didn't miss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
I honestly don't know what it uses for the traffic (FM) antenna except to say that I used the wire that was included on its mount which is a couple of feet long, folded, zip-tied in the fairing. It had a fuse holder already and I didn't cut any wire just in case I later wanted to add the NIM. That cable *may* contain an FM antenna element. The antenna may be inside the GPS itself. One of the most noticeable aspects of the 665 is that it is surprisingly heavy.
I don't even know IF it has the FM-based Traffic system as my Nuvi does, because it does have XMNAV Traffic available as a subscription service via the XM antenna. So, it probably doesn't have both capabilities.
I installed the XM antenna during the process but haven't utilized it yet. My bike already had the XM module (and the CB module) on the HK radio from the factory, so that's where my XM subscription lives.
I could simply move my subscription to the Zumo and that was my original idea, playing with the notion that I would drop the XM that I have for my truck... and just carry the same GPS bike to truck, with only one XM subscription. That turns out to be slightly more complicated than I had assumed so I haven't done it and may not. In the fullness of time, perhaps.
As it is, The way that the three sources connect to the SENA works rather well with
1. iPhone as HFP;
2. Zumo as, uhmmm, hell, I don't even know which protocol, but using multi-point pairing and evidently HFP, not A2DP as it's monaural;
3. SM10 (HK radio) as A2DP for AM-FM-XM-CB-WB-NAV
4. if needed, the SM10 has another input for another audio gadget (passport,etc).

The handlebar controls work for all the HK stuff including XM. They don't affect the Garmin as it goes straight to the Sena.
I believe it used the XM for traffic. I pair my phone with the Zumo, then pair the Zumo with my Sena. That let's you get XM and media from an installed SD card in stereo. Make and receive phone calls, see who is calling so you can ignore calls from work, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
Yes, the learning curve got me there as well.
The NIM is only to let **nav alerts ** interrupt the radio. the factory install includes wiring the XM (from the 665) into the AUX port ON THE FACE of the radio. This means you have to switch the radio to AUX to listen to ZUMO-provided XM, .
It actually does work as you simply pretend that "AUX" says "XM", but it removes your access to the AUX port if you wanted to add an iPod etc.
Since mine came with the XM module added onto the HK, it may be that I have the better setup after adding the ZUMO... and I should've gotten the 660.
Except you can't get the XM through the Sena from the radio.

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 04-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

ZUMO Added, A Few Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTOE View Post
it's quite doable to do it yourself. That way you don't have to run the wire around to the front. There are instructions on how to do it some where out there on the web.
Yep, I've saved 'em somewhere.
I think, after doing this and seeing how the pieces play together, that I don't think i'll bother with the AUX wiring or, likely, the Zumo's XM capability.
The thing is, all I would gain IF I put in the NIM and wired the AUX port, would be the ability to hear the GPS tbt through the bike's speakers without using the headset.

I'm pretty much always wearing it, so, NIM advantage nil.
Options open, I'll try it this way for a while.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 04-10-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:05 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel! View Post
I believe it used the XM for traffic.
Yup; reading the docs, it definitely does use the XM antenna for the XM-based traffic whereas the non-XM units use an FM version.
I wonder if the XMtraffic service is available withOUT the XM subscription(?)

Quote:
I pair my phone with the Zumo, then pair the Zumo with my Sena. That let's you get XM and media from an installed SD card in stereo. Make and receive phone calls, see who is calling so you can ignore calls from work, etc.
I'm curious about how differently this operates vs iPhone directly to Sena. Can you use Siri? Do you have to "reach out and touch" the GPS at any point in order to accept/reject/initiate/end a phone call?
Sena Direct to the phone, I can leave it in the Tourpak and accept, place calls. If using Siri, lots more is possible...text to voice, voice to text, etc.

Quote:
Except you can't get the XM through the Sena from the radio.
Actually, yes, I can (couple of years, now)
I got the SM10 transmitter just before the Red Lodge trip and have enjoyed XM in my headset ever since. The SM10 is A2dp, sending me everything the HK radio is putting out...which, in my case, includes XM via the HK add-on module that the MoCo installed.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 04-10-2016, 03:24 PM
The other white meat

I don't think Siri works through the Zumo. I could be wrong

[
Old 04-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
I don't think Siri works through the Zumo. I could be wrong

Never did for me. Only with the phone paired directly to the Sena.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

But do you have to ever push an on-screen button on the GPS in order to perform any phone operation?

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 04-10-2016, 05:36 PM
The other white meat

Yes

[
Old 04-10-2016, 06:17 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Oh Ricky, just buy a new bike. It's all integrated.