Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Oil & Lubrication
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Oil & Lubrication Possibly, we need just one more discussion...

Old 06-08-2011, 10:12 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
My pipes are quiet enough at cruise that I can actually hear my engine now.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:12 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Not to mention the stereo at half volume....

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Known Associate

george douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Gawd I hate to resurrect an oil thread, but....

I've been doing UOA through Blackstone for 5 5,000 mile change intervals. The Amsoil is showing viscosity numbers that are consistently double the acceptable range. I've also got a ton of top-end noise I'd like to quiet down.

I'd like to maintain a 5,000 mile service interval. I think I'd like to stay with a synthetic, as I'm often caught in stop & go traffic. Quieting the engine down would be nice.

Suggestions?
Sounds like you have some computer setting issues effecting the fule setting since the oil sounds like it oxidized and thickened. This doesn't always happen from heat like blackstone was alluding to. can you e-mail me your oil report at george@oilhelp.com so I can have a look at it and try to help you figure this out, because this will do the same thing with whatever brand of oil you use. Since the oil is made at 10,000 gallons at a time if it was the oils fault all my customers bikes would react and have the same problem and that is not happening.
george
Old 06-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
On it's way to you, but I can assure you that there's no issue with fuel.

Edited to add - I just looked over yesterday's data run, engine temperature spiked at 270 degrees for about 5 seconds, it averaged 250~ish. Fueling looked just fine as well.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Last edited by Killer of Bikes; 06-08-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Known Associate

george douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withgeorge douglas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
On it's way to you, but I can assure you that there's no issue with fuel.

Edited to add - I just looked over yesterday's data run, engine temperature spiked at 270 degrees for about 5 seconds, it averaged 250~ish. Fueling looked just fine as well.
Thanks for sending the report. The report shows good except the viscosity thickened and there is only a couple ways that can happen and it is generally caused from very lean mixtures and excessive heat. Blackstones reports are lacking the info I need to determine the cause like oxidation and nitration readings and to a lesser extent TBN readings. I will get back to you on this after conferring with Amsoil's technical director to see if they have had other reports like yours. Thanks for your patience and business.
george

Last edited by george douglas; 06-10-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
No worries George. One thing to consider is that the latest sample was 10W-40, which I use for my winter oil. The last thousand miles or so, not only was it not cold out, it was downright hot.

But I've had viscosity issues since the first test with the 20W-50 as well. The bike has been professionally tuned by one of the best in the business (Dave Stoddart), and I've monitored it pretty consistently.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 06-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Zintaround

pa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
Add fish oil.
Yep!

Old 06-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Known Associate

Quote:
No worries George. One thing to consider is that the latest sample was 10W-40, which I use for my winter oil. The last thousand miles or so, not only was it not cold out, it was downright hot.

But I've had viscosity issues since the first test with the 20W-50 as well. The bike has been professionally tuned by one of the best in the business (Dave Stoddart), and I've monitored it pretty consistently.
You mentioned that you have monitored your engine, are you able to tell what the cylinder head temps are and exhaust temps, or are you just looking at oil temps? I am a pilot and aircraft mechanic and on my airplane with a simple air cooled engine it is important for engine longevity to be able to monitor those parimeters. I can actually adjust the carb while flying for the best fuel mixture and if I lean it out too far the cylinder head temps will go really high and that in turn hurts the oil as well as takes life from the engine. It doesn't matter how good your engine tuner is unless, as he may be more interested in getting you the most HP and have no thoughts on what it might do to the oil or even the longevity of your engine. Just some thoughts and I will get back with you on this with more info.
george
Old 06-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Double-D, MLA III, CLS

BluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
W no real info, oxidation thickening is my first thought

Love to see the reports, an FTIR would be really cool.

If you happened to have a small amount retained I would run a RULER for you.

+_+_+_+_+_

This isn't the Droid you are looking for

Oil, heat, vibration and noise.

At work, oil analysis, thermography, vibration analysis, and ultrasonics.

At play, Harley.

Same same, right?

Only 43 more states to go!

Remember, never make a straight on a left hand bridge.

It WILL leave a mark.