Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > Riding Stories and Adventures
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 07-04-2012, 02:38 AM
The Cisco Kid

Last Cigar Smoked: Backwoods Mild - Honey Berry
TJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Fly-N-Ride Ride Plan

Been banging my head against Garmin Basecamp and have finally got my routes together.

I fly into Denver and if everything goes as planned, I will be picking up my new to me 1999 Triumph Trophy 1200 sport tourer:

Here is a pic:

36k documented miles, fresh major service and tune by Triumph dealer and ready to roll. I have had my eye on the touring Trophys since early 2010 but with everything going on, I just did not feel right putting money into anything that I did not feel would move forward our awareness campaign for Brooks' disease.

A few weeks ago - once I returned from the Continental Divide expedition via Jeep, I realized in order to move forward with our grass roots campaign, I was going to have to find a more economical way to do it. The first half of the Continental Divide cost over $1200 in fuel alone.

On the way home, I brainstormed on how I could keep all this up. Then it hit me. While I still must finish the CD expedition (remaining half Wyoming to Canada) I could begin the next (or third) chapter in how we go about trying to make a difference on a bike. I plan on hitting major medical and research facilities with information and questions at the ready while contacting the media outlets in the area. All on a bike.

I spoke with Missy about my plan and she was very excited - she loves to ride and since selling my bagger to my Dad - we have only been on one trip together - down to see BillyB in San Antonio - when I borrowed ole' Green back from Dad. We have not had a way to enjoy riding together in a long time. Two birds, one stone....

So it was on - find a bike I can pound miles on for our awareness campaign, share in enjoyment with Missy, and fit in our price range. The Trophys are a buyers bike if you can find one. Super loyal owners and not many know about them. The fact they stopped manufacturing them in late 2003 only helps further that cause. I began my search for a used BMW police bike but then remembered my love of the Trophy when I saw one on a random website. How could I have forgotten about the Trophy???

We put together a plan, sold a few things, and came up with cash needed to make it happen.

Used Trophys are not easy to find... 15 candidates for sale on the internets is typical in the United States. Out of those, maybe 3-4 fit my strict bias. Throwing a couple of the biases aside, I found the bike that made us happy. Speaking with the owner, retired motorcop turned framing shop owner, I soon learned all I needed to know to make me feel comfortable enough to buy a one-way ticket to Denver. (KNOCK ON WOOD!)

So in two days I leave.

I built my ride using motorcycleroads.us. I tried to find a cool place to go but my direction and time (not to mention the heat) put a damper on things. Thought about the Grand Canyon, thought about Four Corners, thought about South Dakota, but I just have too much to do at home and people there that need me to stretch this out too long.

So I ended up with nothing too fancy - but a purpose... a few loops to hit a couple numbered including hwys CO 7, CO 43, and a potential new find.... ! I'll also be adding a notch in my riding belt by skimming through Nebraska. I got lucky by finding a couple roads listed on MR.US in Kansas that hopefully will be as good as they read. I'll even be on the "Road to Nowhere'. This is TX83 - one of the longest North to South roads in the US at 1883 miles with half of it in Texas.... yep Texas is pretty big.

The Texas portion has been dedicated to Vietnam Veterans and there is a four day ride in their honor each year.

Our Vietnam Vets still deserve so much more respect. My Dad was in that mess and there was no way I was going miss this piece of tarmac!

So Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and finally Texas.

Send up a few prayers for me and the bike when you get a second. I have not been on a bike as much as I use to be. I do have an old dual sport bike that commute on but not as many hwy miles as I use to get. I plan on taking it easy... the Trophy is fast, but I am not a fast rider.

So I guess this means I have to post in 'foreign' now. Can't a guy get some 'Triumph' love???????

Phil
Old 07-04-2012, 09:01 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Congrats, Phil. Glad to see you getting back on 2 wheels. You're going to have to learn to speak British to communicate effectively with the dealers.

It doesn't sound like you'll be passing through Dallas, but maybe we can all meet you at Meers in Oklahoma for a burger on your way home.

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 07-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I love Trophys and W00H00 on the 1200......
i used to sit on a Green Trophy at the Triumph Dealership back in the day and dream of cross country riding.. I keep a Maroon 900 in my garage for a buddy of mine while he was going through a divorce .. rode the hell out of it~
I have always love "Sport Touring" bikes and the best thing about Triumph is you can ride them to any "harley" rally and be welcomed.. I had a buddy that had the blue 1200 like you show in your picture but he had the British Flag on both side of the motor fairingthingy~
oil the chain and adjust the lifters and haul ass~

((damn i wish i had horsepower))

®
Old 07-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I do love Triumphs. Nice find!

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 07-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Double-D
Doof Gooner

Last Cigar Smoked: Bubble Gum
Redleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suck
Congrats!

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen
Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 PM
I like my bacon battered

BenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
That sounds like it's going to be a great ride! Take pics!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:22 PM
The Cisco Kid

TJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel! View Post
Congrats, Phil. Glad to see you getting back on 2 wheels. You're going to have to learn to speak British to communicate effectively with the dealers.

It doesn't sound like you'll be passing through Dallas, but maybe we can all meet you at Meers in Oklahoma for a burger on your way home.
Not headed through Dallas and my route is more texas pan handle than Oklahoma, but if you want to meet up, I am game. My contact info is the same and should be in the doof contact info special secret squirrel file.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:25 PM
The Cisco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
I love Trophys and W00H00 on the 1200......
i used to sit on a Green Trophy at the Triumph Dealership back in the day and dream of cross country riding.. I keep a Maroon 900 in my garage for a buddy of mine while he was going through a divorce .. rode the hell out of it~
I have always love "Sport Touring" bikes and the best thing about Triumph is you can ride them to any "harley" rally and be welcomed.. I had a buddy that had the blue 1200 like you show in your picture but he had the British Flag on both side of the motor fairingthingy~
oil the chain and adjust the lifters and haul ass~

((damn i wish i had horsepower))
British huh? I should be ok. I watched Long Way 'Round the other day...

They say the 1200s are pretty fast, but the drawback is poor mpg. I don't ride that fast anyway... I just want to ride. I have been wanting a sport touring bike for a while but was pretty comfortable where I was at with my bagger... I guess now the timing is just right.

Well I guess that means, I can still ride with y'all?

The British flag is on this one too... it is small.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 PM
The Cisco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
I do love Triumphs. Nice find!
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg View Post
Congrats!
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBoosted View Post
That sounds like it's going to be a great ride! Take pics!
Aaaaaand thank YOU. And yes I will snap a few. Good Lord willing.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 AM
The Cisco Kid

Well things did not pan out just right, but it was an adventure.

The bike ended up putting me on the side of the road about 75 miles out of Denver. KTWillys is one helluva a guy. Kevin put me up the night before and now he was coming to my rescue with a new battery. And then with impending weather and a worry that we might not have gotten the bike sorted just yet, he insisted on bringing me all the way home. That is near 700 miles... one way.

Turns out the bike positive connection was loose - backing nut was actually stripped and even though the seller replaced the battery recently, it was dead and now bad. That sent spikes through the charging circuit blowing a 30amp headlamp fuse - yes... which when blown does not allow the bike to charge... crazy Brits.

The seller offered to tow the bike to a dealer and have it fixed or refund my money but by the time he got back to me, Kevin was about 10 mins out... and to be honest, I did not want a refund and it was obvious that the dealer did not fix the bike properly last time. According to recent receipts - this had happened before and they through parts at it not finding the actual reason the problems were occurring. New coils, pick up coil, plugs, wires, battery, etc... 1200 bucks worth of stuff all together.

When what it was - I think - was the bad battery connection in the first place. I also found some corrosion on the starter relay and hot wire to the starter.

So anyway, I am home and purring about on my Brit Tractor.

Huge thanks to Kevin! Hadn't seen him in quite a long time but it was like no time had passed. He went REALLY out of his way to bring a brother home to his family.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Double-D
Doof Gooner

Last Cigar Smoked: Bubble Gum
Redleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suck
I like a happy ending

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen
Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
So Fly and Ride involves a trailer?

Glad you got it figured out and are home and happy.

Kevin is all right, ain't he?

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 07-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Sounds like quite an adventure Phil. Good on Kevin for going the extra mile(s) to get you home safely!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Somewhat Bionic

Last Cigar Smoked: Hoyo De Monterrey Robusto
Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Wow, what an adventure. Power to the Doofs.
Good on ya Kevin!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin

Old 07-10-2012, 10:47 PM
The Cisco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
So Fly and Ride involves a trailer?

Glad you got it figured out and are home and happy.

Kevin is all right, ain't he?
Not this time, but it did require ramps and the bed of a truck... Actually, there is a good chance I could have made it but Kevin wasn't having any of that. And yes, he is one the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
Sounds like quite an adventure Phil. Good on Kevin for going the extra mile(s) to get you home safely!
Thanks Billy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cheese View Post
Wow, what an adventure. Power to the Doofs.
Good on ya Kevin!
I know right?!