Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > The Cooking Channel
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

The Cooking Channel Got a favorite recipe... share it here.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:51 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
I use a smaller bird to avoid having to spatchcock it. Up to a 12-13 pounder will climb out of the danger zone fast enough to not worry about it, anything larger and I defintately spatch it.

The kegs smoke/cook a lot different than my WSM. I know they are revered for the way they cook and the end product, just a different method.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:14 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
True. My old shift partner cooked with a WSM, and we both saw radically different cook times and results. My keg is my first smoker, so it's all I know.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 09-06-2017, 01:59 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
I usually dial mine in around 225-250* to let the smoke permeate whatever I'm cooking. I have a BIL that has a Komodo smoker/grill and his stuff comes out way too smokey. But then again, he can't grill worth a crap in the first place.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:43 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by why_me View Post
I usually dial mine in around 225-250* to let the smoke permeate whatever I'm cooking. I have a BIL that has a Komodo smoker/grill and his stuff comes out way too smokey. But then again, he can't grill worth a crap in the first place.
I cheat. I put the meat on as soon as the aromatic wood goes in (and ain't that a ton of innuendo!), so that it soaks up the smoke as the Keg gets up to temperature. So the smoker will be at all of ambient temperature when the bird goes in (that's what she said), and it'll take 60 or 90 minutes to reach cooking temperature.

We're crispy skin fans, so YMMV.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 09-07-2017, 07:48 AM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
If you each send me a sample, I'll be glad to judge.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 09-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
A good 24 hour brine prior to smoking is a great start. I found this one a while back and between DPH and I, we keep adding things to it every time.

Brine was 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup coarse salt, 20 cups water, a few orange slices, some bay leaves , onions and garlic.

Remove and pat dry,stuff, rub down with some EVOO and a little dusting of Mrs. Dash

We have replaced the Mrs. Dash with either BGE Whirly Bird or a special blend DPH puts together. In addition to rubbing the outside of the bird, rub a generous amount under the skin directly onto the meat...breasts and thighs, wings and drums just get what they get.

Fruit wood (cherry is my preference) goes really good with poultry, hickory, mesquite and other woods like that can be a bit bitter, cherry puts a bit of sweet into it.
Perfect, just what I was looking for

Old 09-07-2017, 09:07 AM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
I know everything that I've watched and done myself that I wait for the smoke to thin out a little before putting anything on. Blue smoke I think it what it is called?

Old 09-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Double-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
I know everything that I've watched and done myself that I wait for the smoke to thin out a little before putting anything on. Blue smoke I think it what it is called?
With my particular smoker, I'll light the pit with all my vents wide open and let it go until it hits 250-275*, usually with a lot of smoke coming out. I'll open it up and put the meat on the grill and close it up. By this time, the temp at the dome usually shows about 200* ish, plus with the introduction of the cooler meat, the temp really goes down. I'll close 2 out of the 3 bottom vents at this point and let the temp slowly get back up to about 250* and then start quenching the last vent to get it close to 225*. By this time, the smoke is very thin and wispy. Then, don't open it again until the remote thermometer says it is done. Every time you open it, you introduce oxygen and can make trying to maintain temp a pain.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Quote:
Every time you open it, you introduce oxygen and can make trying to maintain temp a pain.

If your looking, your not cooking.