Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > Touring Discussion
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 05-17-2015, 09:05 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Smile The last piece, perhaps.......

I've been searching for a tour pak for the 'b' for quite some time. Slowly but surely, the 'b' is turning into a full-blown touring motorcycle.......

Initially I considered a chopped tour pak, but those don't fit full size helmets.

Then I thought about Harley's leather tour pak, which will fit a full size helmet. But I was leery of getting something leather covered as I had looked at pics of used units. And I really can't swing new right now.

Finally something came up on ebay. It's a sport tour pak, designed primarily for Sportsters, but will work with full size tour pak racks as well. It's large enough to hold a full size helmet and should work well with the cop bags on the 'b'.

Those cop bike lids present a problem with the regular tour pak due to how they open. The standard tour pak has to be shimmed up 3/4" over stock on a cop bike so the lids can clear the bottom of the tour pak.

The sport tour pak is somewhat narrower than a standard tour pak. Hopefully lid opening won't be a problem.

Bonus: the sport tour pak is lockable, whereas the leather tour paks are not, unless you install a lock kit.

This is what I bought.......

Yeah, it's blue. Pictures show it to be in pretty nice shape. Even the paint is nice, save for a few scuffs on the the lid. I paid $325 for it, and I'm figuring $100 or so to have it sprayed black. Even after paint, it's still $300-ish cheaper than buying new. Them tiny tour paks are spendy. Harley is sure proud of 'em.......

Next, what to bolt it to?

Well, there's a guy out of Texas that makes custom detachable tour pak racks for the obsolete-framed bagger.

You don't have to buy the rear detach hoop set up Harley sells. You add the rear mounting points by installing Harley-issue docking points in place of the upper rear bolts on the saddlebag-to-frame mount.

Front mounting points are the same as used for the detachable sissy bar I have. And I was able to retain the rear sissy bar mounts.

Pics explain stuff better.......

The rack cost $110 shipped offa eBay. It's since been powdercoated black, which cost $30. I have another $60-ish in latches and hardware.

The 'new' tour pak will be here later this week, mock-up shortly thereafter. Not sure if I'm gonna need that chrome hoop that gets installed between the tour pak and the rack yet.

Hopefully the end result matches the vision in my head.

Last edited by orbit; 05-17-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Double-D

BigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milk
That's gonna be nice. I was thinking you would paint it to match your helmet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015
Old 05-17-2015, 07:50 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTOE View Post
That's gonna be nice. I was thinking you would paint it to match your helmet

Something in a nice Cub Cadet Yellow, perhaps?

I could do black Super Bee-type racing stripes across the top and down the back.

The mind reels.......
Old 05-18-2015, 06:31 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The last piece, perhaps.......

FrankenBagger II?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-18-2015, 07:25 AM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Nice!
Old 05-18-2015, 07:37 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Nice!

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 05-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Is it done yet?

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 05-18-2015, 09:36 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit View Post
Something in a nice Cub Cadet Yellow, perhaps?

I could do black Super Bee-type racing stripes across the top and down the back.

The mind reels.......
The mind reels, the stomach heaves, fine line.

Quote:
a.) As if.
3. Don't even say that out loud. If the gods think YOU think you're done, they will break shit to get into your pocket.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:03 PM
Bon vivant!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post

a.) As if.
3. Don't even say that out loud. If the gods think YOU think you're done, they will break shit to get into your pocket.
Yeah, I know, right? If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

The blue box will be here Wednesday.

And I seriously considered getting that detachable mount powdercoated yellow.

Seriously.

But then I pussed out.......

Old 05-18-2015, 06:09 PM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit View Post
Yeah, I know, right? If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

The blue box will be here Wednesday.

And I seriously considered getting that detachable mount powdercoated yellow.

Seriously.

But then I passed out.......

"Corrected"

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology
Old 05-18-2015, 06:18 PM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Congrats on the score!! The value of lockable storage cannot be overstated! Even if it is in Zonker Yellow....

Dirk
Old 07-01-2015, 05:46 AM
Bon vivant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
Is it done yet?
Yes.......

Old 07-01-2015, 06:33 AM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
Looks good Ken.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Great job!

Is there a strike going on at the Harley store?

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 07-01-2015, 10:32 AM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Looks good to me, Ken.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan