Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Carburetor
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Removing idle air mixture screw plug

I'm going to start dicking around with the carb. on my Dyna. I bought the jet needle referenced in this article. Installation seems straight forward.

However...

What's the easiest way to remove the idle air mixture screw plug? Can I do it without drilling? I'm looking at my service manual and I can't even find it in the exploded diagram, either the screw or plug. Where is the damn thing located?

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I've done it, but can't remember. I pretty a drill was involved. Maybe zip screw or just drill. If memory serves, its just a cap, with cavity underneath. Liberals required the cap, to save spotted owls or something.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Bastages.

I just have an aversion to drilling on my carb.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
On the bottom, shiny round cap--it's obvious. Put a hole in it with a small drill bit. If that don't loosen it up, run a sheet metal screw into the hole and pull it out.

Don't drill too far and don't put the screw in too far or you'll hit the actual needle screw.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 04-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Ok. On the bottom next to the float bowl?

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Ah...found a pic. It's mounted in sort of a long boss?

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 04-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dan View Post
Ok. On the bottom next to the float bowl?
Yep. I don't remember exactly, but I think it's towards the inside centered. If you look with a mirror, or take it off the bike, it is obvious.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 04-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Yea, I think I have it located. Thanks, Chief.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 04-28-2009, 10:19 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dan View Post
Yea, I think I have it located. Thanks, Chief.

If you don't have it, you've just added to your collection of broken Harley parts available for scavenging.

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm

Diagram and instructions, this is what I used, if I haven't mentioned it.

hey its a carb, fire up the drill, and sink er. How many flatspots, that could a screw cap, could there be?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Excommunicated

I got a CV40 in the garage. If I can get to it I can take pics. Not tonight mind you, but tomorrow I am open in the afternoon. If I can't get to it, I got a home aid coming in the afternoon.

If I get real bored I'll take it apart and take pics. But I may have female companionship tomorrow night.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Excommunicated

The one thing that kicked my ass, for years, when removinb carbs, was not putting slack in the cables. Plenty of swearing, while tightly griping needle nose pliers.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Thanks for the offer, Mike. There's a pic in the service manual that, while not pointing it out specifically, shows where it is...now that I know where to look. I think this is my Saturday project.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Good article, too. But that site is a nightmare to navigate.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 04-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Did you do all that stuff to your carb? Drilling the vacuum port hole to 1/8" and the like?

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's