Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > Test Rides and Reviews
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Test Rides and Reviews If you've gone out and ridden it... let us know your thoughts...

Old 06-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
2011 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure

So I stopped by Bob's BMW on the way home from work today and took a quick hour-long test ride on an '11 GSA. It's a damn impressive machine.

Some quick thoughts:

- You get some funny looks from both Harley and BMW riders when you're on a GS wearing Doc Martens, jeans, an orange & black Harley windbreaker, and a half helmet.

- Much better wind protection than I would have guessed.

- Very flexible engine. It revs much higher at highway speeds than the Harley, but other than the vibration through the bars & pegs, not really a big deal. I was impressed with how well it squirts around.

- There's something to be said for 8" of suspension travel, and the ESA is freaking amazing. I hit a loop through Elkridge that I'm very familiar with. In Sport mode, I was able to go through the corners 10mph or so quicker on the GSA than I can on my Limited. The bike holds a line like a laser, and just doesn't get upset on bumpy roads. On one particular road that'll get me out of the seat on the Softail, and rattle my teeth on the Limited, the GSA floated over the potholes and frost heaves.

- Excellent brakes. The Brembo-sourced ABS units on the Limited work very well, but the GSA is 400 pounds lighter. Very confidence-inspiring.

- The riding position wasn't bad. I was expecting my legs to cramp up and/or my wrists to hurt, but no worries. The seat was reasonably comfortable, but the vinyl has to go. With a leather seat and a set of highway pegs, I could see riding this thing for hours at a time. I'd have to add cruise control though.

As a solo-only bike, I don't see why I couldn't ride any distance, any where on a GSA. The test will be this weekend when we go back for the "extended test ride", and the Spider Monkey is on the back. Should be entertaining watching a 5'2" woman climb way up there.

The salesman I spoke with was pushing me to test ride the K1600GTL too. I really wanted to take him up on that, but time was short, and I can't imagine the amount of housework and sexual favors I'd have to perform trying to convince the Spider Monkey that we need two new bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmw-r1200gs-adventure-06-1.jpg (34.7 KB, 120 views)

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 06-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Hand Wringer

FinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I've always wanted one.

*Sensitive at all times.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
Them Beemers are top shelf.

Gosh!

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
Having read this, I want one.....................

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...l-ar97581.html

Dang.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Hand Wringer

FinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Isn't it considered a dual-purpose?

*Sensitive at all times.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:19 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
That is ugly
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 06-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
According to the guys on ADVRider, the GS isn't a true Dual Sport bike, as it's too big and heavy to really be a dirt bike. That said, I'd be a helluva lot more comfortable taking that tall, 500# bike into the muck than a 900# Harley.

This is the first bike I've ridden that has me seriously considering selling Vader.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
That there is the best bike ever made.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:44 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The Shed of Doom will make short work of that German engineering.

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Hand Wringer

I think it's the bike of choice for riding the Al-Can.
How much money?

*Sensitive at all times.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Breaker of Stuff

The one I rode today had all the bells & whistles; it was $20 grand with no bags. The base GS 1200 starts at $14k and change.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:20 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
But its uglier than a road glide.....you wack job .....
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 06-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippsy View Post
But its uglier than a road glide.....you wack job .....
Ugly girls are usually great lays though.....

Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Hand Wringer

I don't know much but I know what I like. I think it's a good-looking MoFo.

*Sensitive at all times.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Breaker of Stuff

It isn't a beautiful bike in the same way the BSL is. What it is is utilitarian. And Lord it rides well.