Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 05-09-2015, 09:51 PM
Spyderman

fred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygiene
is a Dyno needed ..........

new RK and am getting SE slipons and SE air cleaner and a PC-V. Can my indie get a good tune with the PC-V and his laptop or is a dyno tune really needed for Stage 1, only $300 at the stealer.
“We are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. Intellectually, it is possible to carry on this process for an indefinite time: the only check on it is that sooner or later a false belief bumps up against solid reality, usually on a battlefield.”
—George Orwell, 1946

"The race may not always be to the swift nor the victory to the strong, but that's how you bet." - or - that's how the smart money bets...attributed to Damon Runyon
Old 05-10-2015, 06:46 AM
Above Average DDude

Last Cigar Smoked: A. Fuente, Curly Head
YankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sock
Get it dyno'ed and get it right. Anything less is guesswork.

Sh!t doesn't stink unless ya' poke it!

Deut 23:12-13 (How to sh!t in the woods)
Old 05-10-2015, 08:21 AM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBob View Post
Get it dyno'ed and get it right. Anything less is guesswork.
But look around and get it Dynoed by the right guy. With the turn over at the dealership, that guy might not have much experience.

Smart Dave might not be everywhere but maybe he knows someone close or you can find someone to do it right.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 05-10-2015, 08:54 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
It depends. If you just want it to run good, then a canned map download can and does work well for a lot of people. $300 for someone to download a map from the internet seems pretty freaking outrageous.

For about $100 more you can get a dyno tune and get it perfect

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 05-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Yes, that.
And the fact that the PV has built in basic auto tuning which should work very well for a basic set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
So, what are your impressions of the RK, Fred? I would expect that it seems substantially different from the Dyna.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-10-2015, 10:46 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
Yes, that.
And the fact that the PV has built in basic auto tuning which should work very well for a basic set up.

Unfortunately, it appears he bought the Power Commander, not the Power Vision.

Fortunately, there are thousands of downloadable maps available for the PC

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 05-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
I had SE slips and breather on my 06' and when asking my Dealer tech friend about it, he said the stock ecm would auto tune to the way the bike was being ridden. It's not an "Official" tune, but the bike has the ability to make up for minor changes such as that, without a piggyback tuner or any other method. He also said if I wanted a tune, he could do one on my stocker within an hour on the dyno. I believe some piggieback units can also auto tune. $300. is a chunk for them to download a map, but they don't call em stealer's for nothing.
I'm still riding without a tune and do quite well. ask anyone!

aka

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology
Old 05-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Known Associate

Inspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thought
Your expectations of the bike would determine your satisfaction with a download or canned map. I am a believer in dyno time and custom built maps as both of my bikes have achieved better results than comparable builds it was money well spent for me but I also chose to use HD Screamin Eagle race tuners on both bikes. Five years later the money spent was well worth it.

While the later model ECM seems able to compensate and auto tune for pipes and air cleaner changes, both of my bikes also have cams so the dyno tune became more necessary.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:46 PM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
I 12, my build when time comes will mos def need a dyno as I am expecting numbers resembling yours

But w/Turbo!

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology
Old 05-10-2015, 01:12 PM
Double-D

BigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milk
I have a PC on my RK and started with a canned map from Jamie. It ran quite well. Then I had it tuned by someone that really knows his stuff and it was a whole different bike. If I was you I'd take it up to Smart Dave and get it done right. In fact I did with the new Limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015
Old 05-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

is a Dyno needed ..........

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 05-11-2015 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:14 AM
Spyderman

fred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygienefred1369 seems to have excellent oral hygiene
I thank the quick response team for the quick response. I'm guessing the newer ECMs might compensate for basic stage 1 but still run lean to meet EPA regs. I got the PC-V instead of the SERT just so I would not be forced to get all the work done at the dealer. If my local indie calibrates the PC off of his laptop from a canned map, SE parts should be common enough, will that void my 7 year warranty? The dealer wanted $50 to install the PC and then $300 for the dyno tune. I think they oughta give a discount since I bought the bike there. He has long term employees and they all have certificates of some kind on the wall.
You know the new touring bikes have primary chain tensioners and cam chain tensioners good for 75,000 miles instead of 35,000 miles.
With the newer engine what is the biggest "bolt in" cam that will fit? Not that it needs it but maybe in a few years I will feel like making it feel new again. I was surprized at how smooth this bike is. Not one hiccup or decel pop yet. Fast acceleration like my Dyna which cost me lots of money because it was so under powered when I bought it. HD finally got it right, should have built this bike 15 years ago. I'll need to get used to a different seating position with the floor boards and maybe adjust the handlebars a little bit. I like the buckhorns on the Dyna. The clutch lever is easier than my Dyna and a lot better than a Sportster. The recalls were on touring bikes with the hydraulic clutch and the CVO RK so the bike I have has not yet had any recalls.
Smart Dave is 500 miles and 8 hours away from me so I'll give my local indie a shot first. If I ever get another HQ 575 or S&S 585 then I will go up there.
“We are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. Intellectually, it is possible to carry on this process for an indefinite time: the only check on it is that sooner or later a false belief bumps up against solid reality, usually on a battlefield.”
—George Orwell, 1946

"The race may not always be to the swift nor the victory to the strong, but that's how you bet." - or - that's how the smart money bets...attributed to Damon Runyon