Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Headers & Exhaust
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Natural born delinquent

RKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Warren, the ID is 2-7/16".

I just whacked the thing into a 2x4 about 80 times and got it to move about 1-1/2". I loaded it up with more WD-40 and I'll give it a go with Tim's wood wedge tomorrow.
It will work. Its elegance lies in its simplicity.

~ Royal Order of Knights d'Catnip ~

E PLURIBUS DOOFUM
Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
Keep slammin'...you won't bent the tip, stay away from the knots.

Thorns

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 03-02-2011, 05:40 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKotter View Post
It will work. Its elegance lies in its simplicity.
Spoken like a proud papa....

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 03-02-2011, 08:00 AM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Remember to check the thickness of the ceramic. If you do the muffler inside and out you may never get the baffle back in. Just thinking out loud.

I'd also second repositioning the hole. I'm wondering if there's anything I could do to a new muffler that would pay off in the long run when I need to remove the baffle. Maybe pull it all apart and do some high temp anti seize before installation?

Also need to get something on the inside of the pipe to protect from rust. Mine looks horrible down inside by the baffle. Apparently they only coat the outsides.

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm gonna ask about thickness and coating the inside of the muffler. If Greg thinks it may be an issue, I may have him leave it alone, mask everything off when I get it back together, and spray it with VHT.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:10 AM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
I'm gonna ask about thickness and coating the inside of the muffler. If Greg thinks it may be an issue, I may have him leave it alone, mask everything off when I get it back together, and spray it with VHT.
Sounds like a plan. I'm learning from your snipping.......

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Sounds like a plan. I'm learning from your snipping.......
I figured that was why your pipe and heat shields aren't in my truck with mine....

Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
I figured that was why your pipe and heat shields aren't in my truck with mine....
Nah. The correct muffler is enroute to the house. I wanna do them all the same time so they match. It'll give me good reason to pull the muffler apart to do some preventative maintenance. My headpipe is in much the same condition as yours.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Dropped everything off at the coaters. Everything gets a sandblasting and a chemical bath before coating. I asked about coating the inside of the headpipe, and he said they spray it in at the ends, but they can't do the entire thing. He also said that the coating wasn't thick enough to affect the fit of the muffler or baffle. We'll see.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Natural born delinquent

RKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Or maybe...

Quote:
He also said that the coating wasn't thick enough to affect the fit of the muffler and the baffle will likely scrape off some of the coating when you reinstall it. We'll see.
But I hope not...

E PLURIBUS DOOFUM
Old 03-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Breaker of Stuff

I figure I'll clean up the baffle with some emery paper before I put it back in. And then there will be a ton of copper anti-seize involved as well.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:52 PM
along came Blondie......

Sweet!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Natural born delinquent

Quote:
I figure I'll clean up the baffle with some emery paper before I put it back in. And then there will be a ton of copper anti-seize involved as well.
I love the smell of burning copper anti-seize in the morning...

E PLURIBUS DOOFUM
Old 03-02-2011, 03:25 PM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKotter View Post
I love the smell of burning copper anti-seize in the morning...
It makes a good splatter pattern all over a garage. That and the copper sealant if you don't let t dry before firing it up

Old 03-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Slamming the tip of the muffler today got me nowhere, so I tried RKOtter's wood wedge idea. I used two 42" 2x2s, and cut an angle in one end of each (the angle was probably 4" long). Once I got the angles seated into each other, the baffle popped out with about 5 good whacks.

Then, of course, I couldn't extract the 2x2s.

So......Fire it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0652.jpg (64.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0653.jpg (89.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0654.jpg (73.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0655.jpg (75.7 KB, 66 views)