Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Seats, Saddles, Pillions, Backrests, Luggage Racks & Paks
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-07-2016, 06:04 PM
Pompous Prick

Last Cigar Smoked: Punch maduro
Slick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milk
Calling all smart azzes

My posterior needs a new saddle on the bike. I get numb butt at 50 miles and the uncomfortableness starts at 15 miles. I'll admit I don't even know if I have the stock seat on the '12 Ultra or if I had them move the sundowner from the '08 Street Glide to the Ultra when I bought it. Not even sure if that would/did work. Since it will be raining for a week, I think I'll pull the seat to see what I have.

I'm looking at the Harley Sundowner and the Hammock as the new butt perch. I do need to go do the seat demo thing at the dealer but I'm looking for the accumulated wisdom of this group (snicker) to guide me.

I sit fine from the handlebar perspective. Legs could use a few inches more room so I often find myself pushing an inch or two back in the seat. I'm 6'2" and 180 (well, I wish I was 180 . . . closer to 225 these days) with a 35" inseam.

As for the non-Harley offerings:

f. The Ultimate seat looks good. Had one on the Valkyrie many moons ago and liked it. Not sure if their tallboy offering will move me too far from the bars.

143. Mustang doesn't say much on their website other than you can get it with or without studs. Not a lot of help on positioning.

Pi r squared: Saddleman is pretty much the same as Mustang as far as not telling you anything, other than you have to stop riding and send your seat pan in to them so they can make you a seat. Sorry, not happening in the middle of the riding season.

BR549: Corbin . . . my nuts won't let me even talk about them. Can you tell I had one of their nutcrackers before?

What is one to do?

Curt

Old 03-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Calling all smart azzes

I have Mustang on the old RK, not much of a reference for fit but I can testify that the covering (which is not leather) is very durable. The seat is now fifteen years old and the cover is fine.
The seat pan wasn't as tough as the cover, I had to repair (weld) the built in back rest socket a long while ago.
The Mustang was generally comfortable for an hour or two.
A sheepskin helped hugely for longer rides.

Edit: on the '10 Ultra, it came with the "hammock " and I found it to be the most comfy bike seat ever! I rode two Iron butts to Mikes and back the first week I had it, soon did Yellowstone trip and never had any issue.... Until 13000 miles later when I changed the handlebars to the popular 575s. Immediately, after the bars moved the grips two inches rearward, suddenly my butt started hurting(!)

The point of all that? Other's comfort ratings are fairly useless because even simple position changes can have dramatic affect.
I *loved* the Hammock before I changed the bars. The seat didn't change at all but now it sucks.
If looking at other seats, I don't think you'll learn anything without riding them, on YOUR bike with your setup. I doubt any testimonial will help.

I would suggest that you might try adjusting your floorboards and handlebars slightly to see the effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 03-07-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
As a footnote, my hammock has a small split starting at the front. I may be in the market myself soon. I might try getting re-covered and maybe adjusted(?)

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 03-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I tried the Corbin on my '11 EG, frickin butt went numb after about 100 + miles.
I was very disappointed also sad it didn't work out for me, customer support was very lacking also.

Went back to riding the stock one, not a "short" "reach?" later style one. I couldn't stand that one at all!

About two Sturgis trips back I picked up the Mustang FL "Super Touring" -Big Boy- (my words) seat, it sits you 1.75 inches back and I have been very happy with it.

Maybe this link will work? Gotta scroll down to the one piece seat listing.

http://www.relaxingventures.com/id111.htm

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 03-07-2016, 06:56 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
What Ricky said.

My two favorite seats are the Sundowner and the stock hammock.

YRMV

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 03-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I like the cop saddle on mine. I cannot complain about air ride.

I haven't ridden any iron butts, but I've spent plenty of 600+ mile days in that saddle with no discomfort whatsoever.

Take-off cop saddles, with all the mounts, air bag and air tank, show up from time to time on eBay.

I hated the stock seat on the '13 Ultra rental I had while the 'b' was getting fixed after getting hit.

I couldn't ride that thing but 100 miles at a time, and the more I rode it, the less I could ride it, duration-wise.

I was happy to turn that thing in after a three-day, 800 mile jaunt.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:40 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
I agree with some of Ricky's comments about the fit verses handlebars and positioning. Having said that, I think you'll find the Sundowner will not give you the room your looking for. I tried a hammock seat at the dealer demo for 24 hours and promptly took it back.

On my 05, I had the stock touring seat, a Mustang and a LePera. My favorite of the three was the Lepera. Narrow, and low. Didn't cramp me up. The Mustang after time felt like it was too firm in the center. The stock seat was just miserable. Disclamer: Patti hated the LePera as the passenger seat was like a bucket and didn't fit. She also didn't like the Corbin we tried. I did like it however.

On the 11 CVO, I have a stock 2010 Touring seat. I've used the Air Hawk "R" seat pad with some success, but it's finicky. You have to find that perfect balance of air pressure that fits YOU. Patti and I rode 9200 miles in 30 days out west using this method. Didn't use the straps to keep it in place as when we stopped it got put in the tourpac. That way there was no extra heat when we sat back on the bike. Just take it out and place it. This method worked good to keep it dry in and out of rain too when we stopped.

This last year I switched to the wood beaded pad. Again I don't strap it down. Just place and sit. Air flows good under my ass, I don't get any Monkey Butt and my trip last fall to/from Texas with FXR4Mikey was probably one of the most pleasant ASS wise yet. Don't get the ceramic ones as they hold heat, unlike the wood. I think it was $30.00 at a BMW store.

I would seriously look at a two piece unit, or the Saddleman which I believe has separate rider/passenger support so when the passenger sits on the seat it doesn't pull anywhere on the rider.

Kimber

Old 03-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Not a Hammock fan, hanging in the storage room. Actually running a Corbin, with a sheepskin for trips. Both of us quite like it after a season of riding it....

Dirk
Old 03-07-2016, 08:50 PM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm running a road zeppelin. Been real good so far.

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 03-07-2016, 09:56 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
I'm running a road zeppelin. Been real good so far.
This.

I've had a road zeppelin on the barge since '07.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Double-D

BigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milk
I loved the road Zeppelin on the '05. They redesigned it so, as I understand, it is close to the stock seat in height, etc. I went with The Ultimate Seat (Tall)on the '14 limited and I've been very happy. It's worth trying out. I do wish it was just slightly taller but it moved me back just the right amount. I threw a dead zINt girlfriend on it and it's just about perfect.

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015
Old 03-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Seats are weird. I had a Corbin on the BSL and loved it. Did several 1000 + mile days on that seat with no issues. I put a Corbin on BOPS and hated it. The stock CVO Hammock was tolerable, but not great. Dippsy is running one on his RGU and loves it. Running the stock Touring seat on the BSR and I'm perfectly content with it, though the longest day I've done is only about 400 miles.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 03-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTOE View Post
I threw a dead zINt girlfriend on it and it's just about perfect
Seems like she'd fall off...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeadGoat.jpg (62.5 KB, 65 views)

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 03-08-2016, 12:38 PM
Double-D

BigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milk
She'd done had all the stuffing...umm...enjoyed out of her.

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015
Old 03-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The Rushmore bike stock saddles were redesigned. They are a little bit wider and have a nicer horizontal section at the rear that flows into the accessory factory back rest well. Test sits at the dealership stock bikes feel good.
I just picked up the one I ordered and await retrieving my bike from storage.
Less than $300.

The other thing that gives me longer days in the saddle is UnderArmor skivvies. They work well all around and won't break the bank.