Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > TroubleHead Garage (Geno's Place)
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

TroubleHead Garage (Geno's Place) Evo's , Shovels, Pans, and anything else...

Old 07-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Somewhat Bionic

Last Cigar Smoked: Hoyo De Monterrey Robusto
Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Strange idle problem

Since I had the cracked manifold replaced on the stunted trip to ES I am experiencing an occasional idle problem.

2003 Ultra Classic, EFI

When I start the bike after it's been sitting, idle is fine 900-1000 rpm.

At times when I pull up to a light or stop sign, the idle is down around 600 rpm and then slowly catches up if i am there for 15-30 seconds.

Other times when I am out on the back roads or long stretch of road, when I downshift for a light or stop sign, the bike just quits as I come to a stop. I can tell when it's going to happen, the idle is way down when I'm on the clutch as I roll to a stop. Seems to happen whether I downshift from 4-3 and grab the clutch to glide in or if I downshift through 2nd and roll up slow.

Bike runs perfect once I'm up off idle.

Idle problem or shut off is occasional. Last night I was coming home i the rain and it did it more frequently. I stopped for a couple of minutes to put on the rain gear and it idled fine after I stopped and restarted.

I'm also getting much more decel popping since the manifold was replaced.

Mileage is up almost 8-10 mpg since manifold was replaced. I bet it had a small crack in it since I bought it and the ECM has just been asking for extra fuel because it was sucking extra air all along. It was never enough to notice before and the idle was always at 1000 rpm.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin

Old 07-11-2010, 02:09 PM
ocifer slacky pants
Double-D

Location: Half way down the trail to hell, in a shady meadow of green
Last Cigar Smoked: Nub Dub
squish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
i'd be willing to bet it's still sucking air...

CAUTION! You have entered a Harley based forum. Apply a liberal amount of BS repellent to skin before reading anything by anybody.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:11 PM
really big member

Jonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
My guesses;

Air idle control motor dirty.

Or intake leak.

JONAS

Sherlyn Popelka, Fugitive, Aggravated Assault, Golf, DUI

USMC 82-88
Semper Fi, PGRider
2004 Road King
Old 07-11-2010, 02:20 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Jonas hit it, clean the AIC.

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 07-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Somewhat Bionic

Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
Jonas hit it, clean the AIC.
Do you mean to clean the Air Idle Control or the Air Cleaner? Air cleaner element is new, new breather tubes installed too.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin

Old 07-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Yep, dirty/sticky IAC. Sucking air behind that in the system would more likely increase your idle speed.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 07-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
I had the same symptoms and it was the bad temp sensor. Clean the IAC first.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Hand Wringer

FinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I had that problem. A small pinhole in the tube inside the gas tank. Suckin air. Does it happen when it's full of gas?

*Sensitive at all times.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:24 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Get some Seafoam spray or carb cleaner and spray into the little opening in the top of the throttle body that's about 1/2" in from the air cleaner face of the TB. Make sure you have a hand on the throttle to keep the bike running while you do this. I rev the bike, then as it is coming back down to idle I spray,this way the throttle plate is closed and the engine is pulling hard through the AIC. Do this a few times, should solve the problem, if not then start looking at the other things being suggested.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Somewhat Bionic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalBags View Post
I had that problem. A small pinhole in the tube inside the gas tank. Suckin air. Does it happen when it's full of gas?
Never paid attention to gas level vs. problem, I'll watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
Get some Seafoam spray or carb cleaner and spray into the little opening in the top of the throttle body that's about 1/2" in from the air cleaner face of the TB. Make sure you have a hand on the throttle to keep the bike running while you do this. I rev the bike, then as it is coming back down to idle I spray,this way the throttle plate is closed and the engine is pulling hard through the AIC. Do this a few times, should solve the problem, if not then start looking at the other things being suggested.
I'll try this too. Never used Seafoam but have researched it. Think I'll try it instead of carb cleaner. Put some in the tank too?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:44 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Some in the tank would be a good thing also for the injectors, but what your trying to clean out is the goo from the crankcase vent going through the t body.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Don't you like RoadGlides?..
{justsay'n}

®
Old 07-12-2010, 05:44 AM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cheese View Post
Never paid attention to gas level vs. problem, I'll watch it.

I'll try this too. Never used Seafoam but have researched it. Think I'll try it instead of carb cleaner. Put some in the tank too?
Seafoam, Berrymans B-12, even Brake-Kleen will work. Although, it'd be a PITA to spray 4oz of Brake-Kleen into your tank. Primary ingredient is toluene, IIRC.

I don't know what the particular ingredient in some products labeled as carb/choke cleaners is, but I have found them to create their own gooey problems after use, so I stick to the above products due to their not leaving a residue.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Somewhat Bionic

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
{justsay'n}
I hear they are popular.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:07 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
{justsay'n}
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cheese View Post
I hear they are popular.
with a certain type.