Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Carburetor
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Marelli to Mikuni

Been mulling around the idea of canning the Marelli and swapping to the Mikuni on my 2000 RKC. Read tons of info on it and have been checking prices.
Engine mount w/choke slot 16315-99 $7.40
Choke cable 29229-88D $10.00
Choke elbow 27580-88 $3.30
Choke boot 27582-88 $2.86
Manifold to Head seals 26995-86B $2.70
MAP sensor 32316-99 $28.03
MAP sensor seal 11291 $1.93
MAP sensor retaining clip 38723-99 $0.22
MAP sensor retaining clip screw 68042-99 $1.65
Ignition Harness (carb type/no cam sensor) 32435-01 $116.35
Ignition module (HD stock new) 32478-99B $148.50
Pingel tank conversion kit $41.70
Pingel fuel petcock $75.00
Mikuni HSR42-19 total kit - includes manifold, boot, brackets, air cleaner, etc. $409.99

Total -$849.63

The HD part prices are just off of Zanotti's with no discount. The total could vary up or down depending on module choice, finding used parts, etc.

So, 10 year old bike with 40K on it. Think it's worth the money and effort? Any downsides? Fire away.

Greg
Old 09-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Double-D

Dsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographic
Go for it

A buddy of mine did his 01 Ultra and never looked back. Nothin' wrong with a CV40 either...

Just sayin'

Old 09-17-2009, 01:43 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I assume it's giving you less than stellar performance as-is?
If so, and you're planning on keeping it for a few more years, go for it.
Just make sure to use Jenni at Tri-County (20% off site sponsor) for the parts.
Be sure to tell her you're a Doof.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Double-D

Dsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographicDsanchez is not in AOL's target demographic
Here ya go

Not sure if this matches yours...

may want to check prices for accuracy.

Engine mount (with slot for choke) ……. 16315-99 $5.51
Choke cable ……. 29229-88B $8.80
Choke elbow ……. 27580-88 $2.18
Choke boot ……. 27582-88 $1.78
Intake manifold ……. 27613-99 $22.43
Manifold seals ……. 26995-86B $1.51 X 2
Seal ring (carb/manifold)…… 27002-89 $4.91
Ignition Harness ……. 32435-00 $104.43
Manifold sensor (MAP) ……. 32316-99 $26.95
Manifold sensor seal ……. 11291 $0.99
Retaining clip ……. 38723-99 $0.13
Retaining clip screw ……. 68042-99 $0.85
Stock Petcock- 61338-94D $53.00
Stock CV40 Carb- 27412-99D $168.00
MM EFI Tank Conversion from Pingel $40.00
Screamin' Eagle Ignition 32721-01A $157.02
Total Cost $600.00
I purchased all parts from www.Zanottimotor.com (Zanotti HD) except petcock, which I purchased from Pingel www.pingelonline.com $89 and I purchased the CV 40 Keihin carb from E bay for $80. You will also have to purchase the tank conversion kit from Pingel.
The EFI ignition harness just unplugs and you plug in the carb ignition harness in its place

Old 09-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
I assume it's giving you less than stellar performance as-is?
If so, and you're planning on keeping it for a few more years, go for it.
Just make sure to use Jenni at Tri-County (20% off site sponsor) for the parts.
Be sure to tell her you're a Doof.
If I pull the trigger I'm gonna call her.

Greg
Old 09-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanchez View Post
Not sure if this matches yours...

may want to check prices for accuracy.

Engine mount (with slot for choke) ……. 16315-99 $5.51
Choke cable ……. 29229-88B $8.80
Choke elbow ……. 27580-88 $2.18
Choke boot ……. 27582-88 $1.78
Intake manifold ……. 27613-99 $22.43
Manifold seals ……. 26995-86B $1.51 X 2
Seal ring (carb/manifold)…… 27002-89 $4.91
Ignition Harness ……. 32435-00 $104.43
Manifold sensor (MAP) ……. 32316-99 $26.95
Manifold sensor seal ……. 11291 $0.99
Retaining clip ……. 38723-99 $0.13
Retaining clip screw ……. 68042-99 $0.85
Stock Petcock- 61338-94D $53.00
Stock CV40 Carb- 27412-99D $168.00
MM EFI Tank Conversion from Pingel $40.00
Screamin' Eagle Ignition 32721-01A $157.02
Total Cost $600.00
I purchased all parts from www.Zanottimotor.com (Zanotti HD) except petcock, which I purchased from Pingel www.pingelonline.com $89 and I purchased the CV 40 Keihin carb from E bay for $80. You will also have to purchase the tank conversion kit from Pingel.
The EFI ignition harness just unplugs and you plug in the carb ignition harness in its place
I think they are pretty close. The big difference is the carb cost. I'll probably make a wintertime project out of it.

Greg
Old 09-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
I like the mikuni on mine, but I didn't have to do a conversion ..... just had the cost of the carb ........

if you do it .....

you're required to provide reports along the way, including pictures

we'll be watching

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 09-17-2009, 03:29 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Attached Files
File Type: wav alwayswatching.wav (22.4 KB, 79 views)

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Razor

griffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sock
I've had the mikuni 42 on my 98 dyna for over 10 years and it has been great much better performance.one of the added attractions is the idle adjuster is easily accessable via the flexable cable attached to the carb.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:24 AM
really small member

newt615 has failed to amuse us
Ancient,
whats your m&m doing that you would want to switch back to carb?
Old 10-27-2009, 06:48 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Well the Italian thing has always bugged me. (kidding)

It's very finicky and very irritating. It also tends to run way too lean for my taste. I fought it for quite some time making sure no leaks were involved and sensors and voltages were within normal ranges and still had varying idle and lean issues. Actually The TFI fuel controller helped more than anything else. But of course it still didn't fix the sometimes day to day fluctuations in the Marelli. I like the old bike so I'm gonna try the carb route. Plus, it gives me an excuse to be out of the house and in the shop.

Greg
Old 10-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I started gathering parts to go the other way; convert my '01 RK from Marelli to Delphi injection. I now have everything needed including the specialized harness but I've just about lost interest in performing the swap.
I may go the carb route instead....will be watching with interest.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 10-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Well, I think I've about got the gathering stage done. ( hopefully )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0167.jpg (266.7 KB, 143 views)

Greg
Old 10-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Very good start. I took the MM injector off my 98 Roadking, little more involved since it had an ignition pickup off the cam in the nose cone.

Looks like you're on your way.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 10-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Doof Clenas Member

You people want pics? I got some pics. Let's convert the tank over first. Gotta get rid of those fittings. So, to be able to turn them you have to get the hoses off them. The pump, float, filter assy. has to come out. If you hold your mouth just right, it will.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0168.jpg (183.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0169.jpg (220.0 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0170.jpg (204.4 KB, 121 views)

Greg