Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Northeastern Doofdom

silent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the suck
I did this yesterday, what a pain it was. I got a 12 point socket set with a 1/2 drive, so getting the caliper mounting bolts off was pretty easy. But then I realized that the fender wouldn't allow the caliper to come off.

So I had to take the wheel off. Ugh.

First time having to do this. I get the bike on my cheapo Craftsman lift, get the wheel off, and immediately the bike wants to fall backward since there's no weight on the front anymore.

I have Yoshi hold the bike from flopping over while I bungee the calipers, then put the wheel back on to restore balance. After getting the pads out, I lubricated the back of the new ones, popped them on, and then had Yoshi steady the bike as I slipped the calipers back on the rotor as I got the wheel back in position.

There's gotta be an easier way to do that. I know I need a better lift. What did I do wrong?

Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Put blocks under the wheel you aren't taking off.
But, you rock the calipers back and forth to push the pads/pistons in, and that gives you room to take the calipers off (angled out) without taking the wheel off.
Tape the fender edge (per the, you know, manual) so you don't scratch the paint.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Northeastern Doofdom

silent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the sucksilent1 can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Put blocks under the wheel you aren't taking off.
That's what I needed to do. Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
But, you rock the calipers back and forth to push the pads/pistons in, and that gives you room to take the calipers off (angled out) without taking the wheel off.
Tape the fender edge (per the, you know, manual) so you don't scratch the paint.
I covered the fender with some rags, so that was all good. But I swear I had no clearance to get the fender off. Whatever angle I tried rocking the caliper, I kept banging into the fender.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:36 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
You rock the caliper pretty much in position with the pads against the rotor. That is what pushes the pads/pistons in.
Make sure the master cylinder cap is off and there is room for the fluid in the reservoir, or you'll have a paint eating mess.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Northeastern Doofdom

Ok I'll do that next time.

Meanwhile, I did test ride it yesterday to make sure nothing would fall apart. No more pulling the brake lever all the way in with a ton of squeal during stopping. Two fingers is all you need, and it's nice and quiet. Came back and re-torqued everything good and tight, and wiped it down.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish View Post
i can tell you that the bolts that hold the pads in place ARE NOT REVERSE TORX

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...