Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > Test Rides and Reviews
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Test Rides and Reviews If you've gone out and ridden it... let us know your thoughts...

Old 07-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Livin Life

darrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suck
2008 Kowalski Concours

It was a little bit of a surprise that I got to test ride this bike. I went to Carlisle Bike Fest in PA just to see what there was to see. I saw a test ride tent. So I went test riding.

First Impressions: This is a sport bike with bags. No doubt about it. Body position is much like any other sportbikes, maybe, maybe just a bit more upright. This bike is quick, although I wasn't able to go very fast, acceleration was indeed there.

I was yelled at by the test fleet operators for trying to turn the key to the "On" position. "You can't just turn the key! You've probably just broke it!"

Well! I should have known. Keys aren't meant to be turned. At least not before proper procedures are followed. On the Concours, the key needs to be pushed down after being in the ignition for any length of time. The info screen then shows an ignition lock with arrows pointing in both clockwise, and counter clockwise directions. The key can now be turned, but only now, hurry, cause the chance goes away pretty quickly. This is a boneheaded system, me doos believe. Something of a security system, much like Harley's where a fob needs to be recognized before the bike can be started, but much more difficult.

Anyway, on to the test ride. Well, before we even got out of the parking lot, my wrists and palms were protesting the riding position. All my upper body weight was on my hands. There was no way I could move up in the seat to reposition my body in a more upright position. The handlebars are layed out just like the FJR's, with the windscreen adjustment on the left handlebar.

We didn't go very spirited like on this ride, but I was able to snick it quickly through the first couple of gears, and it responded well. But....

There was a tremendous ammout of vibration throughout the bike when revved over 4000 RPMs. And, over 4000 RPMs is where the bike makes it's power. I'm talking ALOT of vibes. So much so that I didn't take it over 4000 more than 3 times the whole trip. The first time it caught me by surprise, the next two times I did it just to make sure that it really was that bad.

The Concours also needs a cruise control, heated grips, a rear bag, and a much larger gas tank if it wants to compete with what I believe to be the front-runner in the sport-touring pack: The BMW K1200GT.

This is just a sport bike with bags, that needs a few years of refinement by the folks at Kowalski to really compete with the FJR and the BMW.

Last edited by darrell; 07-26-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:09 AM
zoof 43-7

BigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suck
Did you already ride the ST1300 ABS? Just curious.

Order of the Garlic Clove

Jim "A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPNF7sIgFUc
Old 07-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Livin Life

darrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suck
That's the one. The bike I test rode was just like the bike in the picture.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:05 PM
8-Ball

This is a great series of reviews, Darrell... keep it up. and thanks!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Road Glider

Yea I like getting this insight into these bikes. Have not ridden any of these except the Yami FJR and I did think that was a pretty cool bike. Keep the info coming on these sport touring hot rods from "over there".
Old 07-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Livin Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post
That's the one. The bike I test rode was just like the bike in the picture.

I have made a mistake. I mistook the ST1300 to be the same bike as the Concours. It is not. I was in a bit of a rush yesterday and really didn't take time to understand BigBurger's question. Sorry.

I have NOT ridden the ***** ST1300 ABS yet. YET. ***** has not done much to upgrade this bike in the past few years, so I should have no problem talking a dealer into letting me take one out sometime. However, my schedule looks to be booked for the next few weeks, what with VukFest, Weddings, Ironbutt rides, and general goings on.

I'll get back to the test rides just as soon as I can.

Sorry for the mistake.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:24 AM
zoof 43-7

BigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suckBigBurger can happily embrace the suck
Thanks. I'm curious about how they compare. The ST 1300 was a groundbreaking bike in the sports touring category. Cushman's response was the
FJR. ***** uses the V-4- a very good motor with a smooth power delivery.
Its also supposed to be very comfortable.

Jim

Old 07-27-2007, 12:27 PM
Livin Life

For what it's worth, the salesman that showed me the FJR also had a ST on the floor. I asked him how closely the two bikes compared. His responce:

"If you want a touring bike, go with the ST, if you want a sport touring bike, go with the FJR. The ST is overweight and just feels much bigger compared to the FJR"

So, I figure, coming off sn Electra Glide, either one's gonna feel like a sport tourer to me. I'm gonna have to ride them back to back to be able to tell any difference in them.

The ST did look alot bigger than the FJR, though.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:24 PM
zoof 43-7

Coming off the Harley, the ST might be a natural fit.

Just sayin'

Jim