Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Handlebars, Grips, Cables...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Smuckin' Fartass

Last Cigar Smoked: Olivia Nub Maduro
Woody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sock
Wild 1 575 bars on my Ultra

I ordered up a set of these today for my CVO Ultra. It's been awhile since I had to extract wiring from inside a set of bars and run it into new bars. I know all the internal wiring pins are going to have to get removed from their respective connectors in the fairing so they can get pulled from the old bars.

How large a pain in the ass is this going to be?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
It's not bad. Take pics of the connectors before you disassemble. Save some headaches and get the SE TBW sensor. I didn't even remove the sensor from my factory bars. Too much headache with the connector inside.

Under the fairing, depending on the height of your bars, you may need to relocate the connectors for the handlebar wiring down closer to the handlebar mount. I had to do that with the 12"rise on my bars.

I also changed the bushings to polyurethane bushings. Less of a rubbery feel.

Aside from that, new brake and clutch lines and you should be good.

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Smuckin' Fartass

Woody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Aside from that, new brake and clutch lines and you should be good.
Spoke with John at Wild 1 today, he tells me there is enough extra slack in the clutch and brake lines that the stock ones will fit fine. Hope so...

Also, the CVO bikes don't have the pain-in-the-ass green connector in the bars for the TBW, so that should make removal a lot easier.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:25 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
That's cool. Then you may not have to move the connectors under the fairing. I do suggest the new TBW sensor though. Alot less headache. Part number is 32310-08.

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Mike and I put 575s on the BSL. I don't see how you can get away with the stock length clutch and brake lines.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Smuckin' Fartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stockman View Post
Mike and I put 575s on the BSL. I don't see how you can get away with the stock length clutch and brake lines.
Russ, that's why I questioned him about it. He swore up and down that there is enough excess clutch and brake line behind the fairing to do it. The 575 bars are about 2" higher than stock, correct? I'm not sure there's an extra 2" of slack to be had...

Old 06-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Yeah, I'm not seeing it.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Woody. The 575's should be 2 up and 2 back.

With the 05, wiring was no problem with he 575's.

I believe I went +4 on the clutch. Don't recall length on the brake, but I do remember installing new ones.

Kimber

Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Smuckin' Fartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
Woody. The 575's should be 2 up and 2 back.

With the 05, wiring was no problem with he 575's.

I believe I went +4 on the clutch. Don't recall length on the brake, but I do remember installing new ones.
Pretty sure there's enough extra wiring length. I guess I better round up a longer braided clutch and brake line before I tear into this...

Old 06-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody218 View Post
Pretty sure there's enough extra wiring length. I guess I better round up a longer braided clutch and brake line before I tear into this...
CVO, Hydraulic clutch right?

I've seen some posts elsewhere reference extenders for the hydraulic clutch.

Here are some part numbers I received from someone else who used them for their upgrade to mini apes. I have not researched any of these yet, but not sure why just the upper brake line can't be done without doing the lowers.

Hydraulic Clutch Line SCII 70" P/N: 1741-0314
Brake Line: Upper 3/8" 19" P/N: 1741-0781
Brake Line: Middle FLHT ABS CM2 P/N: 1741-1858
Brake Line: Lower FLHT ABS CM2 P/N: 1741-1857

Kimber

Old 06-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Apparently the ABS brake hose is something whiz bang special. The dealer quoted me 400 bux for the longer brake hose setup. (!)
I have been told over on the cvo forum that there is no rhyme or reason to it but some cvos have different clutch hoses so you MAY need the clutch hose or you may not. For the 575s. If those prices are legit, the bar swap could run near a grand.... I need lots more info.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 02-07-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Breaker of Stuff

I could dig out the receipts, but I want to say that between the bars, the TBW sensor, the brake lines, and the clutch cable, I was into the bar swap for around $600.....You'd probably want to change the handlebar bushings too. Get it done at a shop, and you'd be looking at at least 4 hours of labor.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'll do the work myself, so there's that. Now tell me why I need to replace the tbw? The CVO already has the version without the troublesome green connector. At least if I understood my "research". Is the tbw unit not reusable??

Once I get the RK finished, I can put the ultra in the cubby, I can pull the fairing to actually measure the hoses to see where I stand. There are those who claim to have done the 575s without longer hoses by simply rerouting the old ones. It's on the interwebs, so we know it's credible.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 02-07-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:31 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Hydraulic clutch, abs needs dealer intervention, wires need to be extended. Sounds like a royal PIA, maybe worth a grand to have the dealer do.

When I did the swap on my 2010 it was a pain seeing the colors on the wires. Make sure you have good light. I know when I was done I turned the radio volume up and the left turn signal activated. Had to go back in and figure out where I went wrong.

Also, Wild 1's told me there was no need to change clutch or brake lines. They lied. Turn the bars all the way to the right and the clutch would disengage.Do yourself a favor and get some 2-3" over lines and cables right off the bat.

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 06-06-2013, 05:42 AM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
575's on Ole Red, no way will stock cables or lines work. You will need front brake lines, throttle and clutch cables, if its FBW don't know.