Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Ask The Techs...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Ask The Techs... This is the way it works. Post up your question in the appropriate Forum, then put a link to it here. We'll ask some very savvy folks to monitor the posts here and answer your question. If you are a Tech answering a question, please do it in the linked thread rather than here. In this way, we can build info in the appropriate Forum. Thanks.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:20 PM
KTWillys

Forkin Oil On a Road Glide

Ok guys,, I know but this is my first bagger and am going to change the fork oil on my 04 Road Glide.. book says that you have to disassemble the fork..
Ok so no problem but why? Can I do this without a partial or total tear down?
Kind of bites if you as me..
Also can you replace the cartridge type with a standard Road King fork?
Old 10-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Resident Tough Guy
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: New World by AJ Fernandez
Rock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygieneRock seems to have excellent oral hygiene
Why are you changing fork oil?

Old 10-23-2007, 05:23 PM
8-Ball

KT...

You can dump the cartridge and go to springs on both sides.

Check out Progressive... I put them in mine while I changed the oil.

I've got the RK which has springs on both sides so I'm not sure of the cartridge removel procedure but I've read of people doing it.

I've got a thread on changing the fork springs here if it helps.

Mike
Old 10-23-2007, 05:45 PM
KTWillys

I am changing the fork oil because I have too much dive when braking and it is that time...
Mike, I will take a look at your link.. I dont think that it would be much trouble to find a fork tube but getting one with all the stuff in it might be tougher.
I do have a set of progressive springs and think that I will put them in especially if I have to tear down the tube anyway.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:06 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Before you go blaming the forks for the dive, have you tried upping the air in your REAR shocks?
Trust me on this one.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Hangaround

16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Before you go blaming the forks for the dive, have you tried upping the air in your REAR shocks?
Trust me on this one.
Upping the air in the rear shocks will help negate dive?

I'm all ears.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:20 PM
KTWillys

yes sir,, have done that.. still have a very large amount of front end dive..
The stock springs are pretty soft from HD,, even had the problem with my Fat Boy... I am pretty hard on the front brakes...
Old 10-23-2007, 06:22 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
For 16x9, then.
http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/sho...7764#post77764

Old 10-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Hangaround

16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with16X9 Shooter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
okay
Old 10-23-2007, 07:05 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

I detect skepticism.
I wasn't going for that result when I started upping the pressure, it was just a surprise bonus.
Try it.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:33 PM
KTWillys

I have been up to 25 lbs solo and up to the max two up... although I agree it did make a difference but it is still too much dive for me..
So I decided to go to the progressive springs but didnt want to go that far just yet but now I guess I might as well, since just to change the oil I have to disassemble the fork.......
Old 10-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Known Associate

TXCHOP has failed to amuse us
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTWillys View Post
yes sir,, have done that.. still have a very large amount of front end dive..
The stock springs are pretty soft from HD,, even had the problem with my Fat Boy... I am pretty hard on the front brakes...
Same here...I used the S/E version fluid in mine this past year and liked it. Over the winter i plan to convert to progressive springs, amsoil oil and get rid of the cartridge. IF you were interested, i had the numbers saved, but they were on the VTF.. If you can wait, i can get the number for you. I know Geeze did this as well and loves it. If just changing fluid, partial disasembly is required. The cartridge wont accept fluid from the top hole.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:42 PM
KTWillys

TX, thanks, I will be waitin... afraid we may have to wait quite a while.. looks like it may take some time before they can get it up again...........maybe some will help
Old 10-23-2007, 07:50 PM
2005 HD FLHTi

Kfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Exclamation

If you're going through all the trouble to change the Fork Oil why not put in some Progressive Fork Springs (or equiv), that would really help. The Oil alone won't help much, depending on mileage, and if you have leaks of course. Harley doesn't even list it in the owners manual. My indi suggested at 30,000 depending on how the front end behaves. I would really consider the progressive springs at the same time.

~"IF YOU CAN'T IMPROVE ON SILENCE, KEEP QUIET" ...couch Lou~

"Getting There Beats Being There"
FLHTi
* 95" by Carl from Boise Cycle
CHECK OUT MY WEBSHOT ALBUMS...

Old 10-23-2007, 10:15 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

My '05 Bagger Service manual says 50k.