Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > Test Rides and Reviews
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Test Rides and Reviews If you've gone out and ridden it... let us know your thoughts...

Old 09-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
2012 Ultra Classic

Uke's in Kenosha had free test rides today, plus a sale on most of their stuff, so me and mrs. o went up there for a visit today.

I spent $100, mrs. o a bit more. She got a nice fancy lightweight jacket, 20% off. Real sporty. P/N 98386-11VW.

I ended up takin' a new Ultra Classic for a demo ride.

I was curious as to engine vibrations, as compared to my '06, plus I wanted to see how the 103 compared to my slightly modified 88. Never rode a bike with a tour pak, lower fairings and some other doo dads, so I wanted to see how that all was.

Bike had a tick over 2K miles on 'er.

Riding position, for me at least, felt a bit cramped. I still have the cop seat on my bike, so I sit a little higher and a little farther back. The stock seat felt comfy, tho.

I decided I didn't like the lower fairings as they block too much wind and I whacked the side of the right one with me boot when going to cover the brake pedal.

I listened to the radio for a minute or two and decided that it wasn't for me. The clock is nice, tho.

The engine felt a lot smoother than my 88, especially around 2K rpm. Still has a slight buzz around 3K. My 88 feels a little peppier. The 103 felt a little numb. Maybe it's because of the stock exhaust. Both engines have the same mechanical tick in the top end.

The new transmission has a different whine to it, but I didn't find it offensive. Thought it was cool, actually. The clutch and shifting part of the deal were nice.

Tour pak had a little rattle/squeak in it. Sounded much like an unlatched saddlebag lid, but everything was latched correctly.

The 103 seems to pull overdrive well. We got up to 70 for a moment or two and the bike felt good at that speed.

In a lot of respects, the '12 felt a lot like my '06. I felt pretty comfortable, overall, on the '12.

That being said, a '12 ain't in the cards for me. I liked the bike, tho. A set of slip-ons would serve it nicely.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:56 PM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Full exhaust, intake and tune do wonders for the 103...
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 09-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Obsidian
Stone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyMan View Post
Full exhaust, intake and tune do wonders for the 103...
Agreed.

Although my Street Glide has the 110, I'm sure Harley used the same exhaust head pipes on all the touring models, which comes complete with a catalytic converter. That sucker runs hotter than hell!!! I changed my pipes all the way back with V&H crossover and their mufflers. The sound is fantastic, the performance (I also had her dyno'ed) is right there, and the heat is no where near what it was before. Before, after only a few mile, my calf was on fire. Today I rode around 150 miles and didn't really notice it until toward the end of my ride.

"Keeping a candle lit"

"RIP Butkus"
2002-2006

Danger: Propane
Keep Back 200 Feet
Old 09-04-2011, 06:01 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordito View Post
Agreed.

Although my Street Glide has the 110, I'm sure Harley used the same exhaust head pipes on all the touring models, which comes complete with a catalytic converter. That sucker runs hotter than hell!!! I changed my pipes all the way back with V&H crossover and their mufflers. The sound is fantastic, the performance (I also had her dyno'ed) is right there, and the heat is no where near what it was before. Before, after only a few mile, my calf was on fire. Today I rode around 150 miles and didn't really notice it until toward the end of my ride.

What were the dyno numbers, Rick?

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:34 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
What were the dyno numbers, Rick?
X2!!

Old 09-04-2011, 08:36 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Did you try out the ABS?

I wouldn't trade my ABS for nothing

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 09-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel! View Post
Did you try out the ABS?

I wouldn't trade my ABS for nothing
Didn't get a chance.

The demo ride consisted of a local H.O.G. ride leader and, I think, 12 or 15 demo bikes.

The ride itself was prolly 20 min. long. We were led through the countryside west of Kenosha.

I was fourth bike in the pack, had a goof on my wing ridin' an XR1200.

I don't think there were but a few seasoned riders in the group, judgin' by ridin' technique. They actually made me look pretty good.

But because of unknown rider ability, the group leader kept things pretty sedate. There was really no opportunity to push the bike real hard, although I did get a chance to attempt some major downshift/hard brake/dive for the apex/power out of the turn stuff on a quick series of 15 mph, 90° turns.

But the XR goof was crowdin' me a bit, and the dude on the v-rod in front of me poked through said corners, so I didn't really get a chance to do what I really wanted to do...

It was basically a playin'-around ride for me. Tried some slow race stuff at one stop sign. I giggled at that. I love not puttin' my foot down while creepin' the bike forward, using the clutch, rear brake and throttle input to hold the bike up. Slow race.