Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > Sportster
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:53 PM
Known Associate

TXCHOP has failed to amuse us
883-1200 Conversion pictorial

Hey guys, i thought it would be good for anyone wanting to do a 1200 conversion on their Sportster to get an idea of what they are getting into before they do the work. I will show some pics and brief write up of the conversion process itself here. This bike is an 03 XL883. It was bone stock except for A/C and punched baffles. It ran o.k. but was not winning any races.

The build will include the following:
883-1200 kit with wiseco pistons with Scott from Hillside cycle doing the boring/honing
Stock 883 heads with a large valve conversion via Scott as well
Andrews N8 cam set
Cycle shack slip on mufflers
Cometic gasket set
New jetting for now until it gets tuned in the spring.

Here are some pics...

Bike all strapped up ready to get torn apart.

Battery removed....Always remember that part....

Tank, carb, coil and ignition switch are gone..Just makin room to work..

Motor mount and VOES system gone....

Same shot other side...

Intake manifold gone....Man they are tight in sportsters!

Say goodbye to rocker box covers and spacers.....

Rocker arms and lower box removed as well as pushrods. Next time you guys take the p-rods off look at the amount of oil in there.

Last edited by TXCHOP; 10-31-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:59 PM
Known Associate

Another shot...

Off with your heads!

Another view

Interesting that HD used and egg shape head gasket ???
That exhaust valve is cute isn't it...

The money shot. 883 piston in a stock TC88 jug.

That is it for now. The cams will be installed Friday or saturday and the rest of the top end shortly....Stay tuned....
Old 10-31-2007, 08:29 PM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I've got a SE Evo XL 1200 piston kit, P/N 16140-87, I'll let go cheap, if anyone's interested....

New, in the box.
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:32 PM
The Molenator

CDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I knew it wouldn't take you long to find this...it's almost like free advertising...bump.

Clint
Bikeless

I'm a Doof, and Damn Proud of it!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:39 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Very nice documentation and photos TXChop.

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Old 11-01-2007, 09:02 AM
R.I.P.
<--- Captain Itch!

Red Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Thanks TX, I love this stuff.

'Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.' - William Penn

I want to live and ride free, unencumbered by all but God's love.
'06' FLSTNI, $43 per gallon!

Old 11-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
This is gonna be fun to watch...thanks.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 11-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Known Associate

Just an update. Got the new Andrews N8 cams in the other day. Well, if they run as mean as they look my customer will probably $hit his pants. Here a couple pics of the cam install. Not to hard to do when everything is apart. Simple to line up dots and follow the procedure.

Stock cams that come out with the cam cover. Previous to this i removed the module and the bolt that holds #2 cam in. Here is a pic of them lined up form the factory.

Kind of a bad pic but a comparison of the old cam(top)and the new N8 cam(bottom)

Cam chest area empty. No bearing here, just bushings on both sides of the cam.

New cams in for a test run on the cover. You are supposed to install the cams in the cover and spin and feel for any tight or loose spots. These were butter smooth...Thank God. They are not timed here, just a test run.

New cams in and after lining up all the timing marks...Pop the cover back on. Just be careful with the gasket as there is only 1 dowel to hold the gasket.

All buttoned up. the heads and cyls will be back from Scott at Hillside Cycle this week and will finish the install. Thanks Scott...!!!

Stay tuned more pics to follow.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Zintaround

pa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suckpa-glazier can happily embrace the suck
Thanks for the pictures TX very informative!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:30 PM
The Cisco Kid

Last Cigar Smoked: Backwoods Mild - Honey Berry
TJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Thanks TX! Very valuable info for our little neck of the woods. Keep it coming with this build and anything else you feel like sharing.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Known Associate

Will do....Thanks for the comments guys. I plan on doing some pictorials as they come up for me. Got some other things planned and jobs coming in. Just trying to add some techie stuff for here for guys interested.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Public Doofender

Highmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milkHighmiles stays crunchy even in milk
These are great pics. Thanks for sharing the build.

Did you know I liked Bobbers?

Old 11-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Known Associate

Well, got the bike back together. Been busy with other things, so the pics will follow soon. Let me tell you guy/gals with sportys, if you want a hot street build this is the one. I finished up the motor last Wednesday and put the first 50 shakedown miles on during the last 2 days. Man, this thing is a runner for sure. Me and Scott think there will be a lot more left to it when it gets the timing and jetting further tuned in. The motor went together as easy as any other one I have built. All clearances were checked and everything was great. Cams had no interferance at all. Rings were practically pregapped as i only had to shave a hair off of them. The Machine work with the heads and cyls were second to none.

Scott from Hillside Cycle was a pleasure to deal with. I HIGHLY recommend him for any performance needs. He is a super nice guy that knows his stuff and actually does the work in house ....Hes going to be doing a 103 for me as well as my motor when i get some bucks together.. Thanks Scott.

Here is a really bad camera phone video clip. You can hear the idle and light revs. Its sounds like i revved to redline, but thats my camera phone for you......

Pics to follow...
Old 11-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Known Associate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QinLNtiPQ4s
Old 11-20-2007, 02:55 PM
The Cisco Kid

Last Cigar Smoked: Backwoods Mild - Honey Berry
TJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTJ Willy has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCHOP View Post
Sounds GREAT!!!