Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > Sportster
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Should I buy this 97 883?

Ok folks-

Wendy and I just got home from looking at a 1997 883 5 speed, belt final drive.

A bit rough, needs some TLC, but solid frame and motor.

I have ALWAYS wanted to build a serious as a heart attack Sportster cafe racer (more racer, than cafe, thank you very much.)

It currently has what looks like a pretty nicely sorted Paughco disc brake springer front end (which will be taken off and sold to fund an upside down sportbike front end, posthaste)

It has some hokey lookin' bolt on accessories, but frame, swingarm and engine, COMPLETELY un-molested with any hokery.

I'm thinkin' 1200 top end, port work, cams, 2 into 1, suspension/ brakes, clip-on bars, and a bit of sorting, and I'll have the back-road assault vehicle I have always wanted.

Oh, and I can snag it for $2750.00.

Clean paper, looks to have about 20K miles on it.

Well folks, whaddaya think?

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM
Old 04-18-2014, 09:02 PM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
$2750? Grab it!!!

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 04-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Not really waffling on this, are you?

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Only sporty I've ever seen under four grand included milk crates

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 PM
Keeper - Awful Secret

rangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milk
Price is more than right.

Jay
Old 04-18-2014, 11:14 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Tell me you've already bought it!

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 04-19-2014, 06:47 AM
Site Sponsor
Doof Member

JDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Sounds like a fair price. Go for it!

Route 412, Bethlehem. 412 = (4, 1+2=3) = 43
Old 04-19-2014, 06:48 AM
Site Sponsor
Doof Member

JDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJDsCycleWorks is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Check out Hammer performance for sportster heads and build packages.

Route 412, Bethlehem. 412 = (4, 1+2=3) = 43
Old 04-19-2014, 07:22 AM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
No running sporty is under $4k 'round these parts. I'd go for it if for no other reason than to flip it.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 04-19-2014, 08:05 AM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
That's less than I got for my '74 and maybe in better shape.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 04-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
If you don't....someone here will!

BOB

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology
Old 04-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Well, Mama and I have decided..................

We're goin to the bankers with hat in hand, next week, borrow 5K, and snag the bike, and start on it.
When we get her Home, we'll post up piccies, and as we proceed with the teardown, resurrection, and general hot-roddin' the hell outta' it, we'll chronicle the whole thing, start to finish.

This is going to be a joint project for us, as Wendy has a genuine thirst for motorcycle mechanical knowledge, and I feel this will be an ideal platform to teach Her all the basics, and some of the more advanced stuff too. We have done some odds and ends on Her scoot, Her 4Runner, and other stuff around the place, and She has impressed the hell out of me, is NOT afraid to get dirty, and We truly cherish the time spent together.
The great feeling of joint accomplishment afterwards, has just been icing on an already fantastic cake, so there is no downside in this.

We are planning to get the suspension and brakes sorted/ upgraded first, followed by general appearance and styling, then we'll move on to an 88" big bore, with matching heads, exhaust, ignition, cams and header, and of course all of the goodies that make it work together properly.

I have been itchin' somethin' FIERCE to get back to buildin' scooters, and this will hopefully be the first of many more to come!

just a big ol' Doof.....
Old 04-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Congrats on a plan and especially the shared interest!

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 04-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Well, We been schemin' and such, so here is the first stage-
Once We have the scoot (ironing that out in the next couple days) We will sell the springer off (And yes, it'll be offered here first) and use the dough to purchase a COMPLETE (from the bars to the wheel) upside-down front end off off a 600 sportbike, as the curb weight closely matches that of the Sporty (only 30 to 50 LBS difference, before the Sporty is stripped of all extraneous B.S.) and a matching rear wheel.
Once said front end is obtained, We will set about adapting it to the Sporty, and sorting out any issues with it, and making it work like it was made for the bike.
After that, the rear wheel/ disc/ caliper setup will be adapted and sorted, and then that'll be done.
Once I figure out what shocks We need for the rear, those will be bought and installed, and then the suspension and brake upgrade will be pretty much done, except for minor details.

The general plan is to make it handle and stop FIRST!

Then and only then, will We start figuring out just how far We will go with the motor.
We're figuring on an 88" big bore, cams, headwork, carb and ignition to compliment.

just a big ol' Doof.....
Old 04-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
I had a Sportster Sport XL1200S. The (factory) engine in that was a 'relative' to the 1200's being used by Buell. It had two plugs per cylinder with single fire ignition and four-pole coil, 10:1 compression and a slightly hotter cam than other Sporties. Add the Mikuni 42 I had on it to the mix and even without head work that thing was a neck snapper.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me