Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > Remodeling or Building
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Remodeling or Building Got a project going or finished... Got a question...

Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Help a dummy build a work bench.

I lack skill and over think woodworking.

want to build 8' bench 22" deep in my garage. Garage is sheeted with 7/16 OSB.

Where I want to start is on stud.

Was thinking of building the top on the floor. two 8 2x4s. With 19" 2x4s every 2 feet. Which creates a problem. The 1st 19" would be on the stud. I was thinking I would screw the back back 8' down evry 16". But 0 and 8 would be blocked by the 19"ers

I thought about building it on the floor with the outsdie crossarms in 1.5". So I could screw the back 8' to wall, then screw in another 2x4 on the side.

How do I support this? 4x4 at each cornr inm front and 45s somewhere in middle? 3rd 4x4 in middle?

Do I use 4x4 or 2 2x4s. I was looking at a bench today that used 2, and then was able to set cross arms on one of the 2x4s. This is another area where I have been over thinking.

Is the back 8' screwed to the wall enough? I was kinda thinking it was. Do I need to do a diagnol across front to keep it from swaying? I was hoping not to.

I have box of #10 3.5" and #8 2.5" plus lots of drywall, sheetmetal, nails, ect
Was thinking #10s to mount the horizontal piece wall and 8s to do 2x4s.

what about top? Get sheet of? 2 thick? I am thinking 3' high

Gonna want to do vice. So need to reneforce edges? Lay 2x8 on edge unerneath?

Wood kicks my ass, so I need explained for simpleten.

I did by 2' clamp. I been buying clamps this week. Instead f using various heavy object to hold things and maybe try to get things square.

I am in the process of redoing my garage, but that will be a differant thread. I got dreams.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:08 PM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
Build the frame. Put your first cross brace offset some number (like 4") so that the rest of them don't land on a stud.

You should have legs on the back too. Screws won't be strong enough, but 1/4" lag bolts in every other stud would. I'd still use legs on the back though.

What are ya gonna do on the bench? If you're going to be putting heavy crap on top of it you'll need a middle leg and should maybe use 2x6's instead of 2x4's to support the top. If you're just gonna set hand tools and a few small parts it doesn't really matter.

Engine by Otto.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
For the most part junk, but lots of junk. I would say heaviest would be snowmobile or maybe bike motor.

As far as putting the cross brace at odd spacing, won't that give me an unsupported lip on the ends?

Like I said lots of questions.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Excommunicated

I will put legs in the back too. Do I need diagnol cross beams to steady it?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:35 PM
I Like Dirt...!

Last Cigar Smoked: BubbleGum
Xkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suck
build it so it's freestanding, then put 2 lags into the 2x4's to keep it steady...

Some Mornings I Wake Up Grouchy.....others, I Let Her Sleep

Old 01-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Excommunicated

I was just thinking that in the shower. Build it free stand, and then maybe fasten to wall to steady. That way it can be moved if need be.

4x4 legs?
Nail cross arms to side of 4x4s and top, on top of 4x4 and cross arms? Diagnol cross arms on sides? Maybe back? But I'd like to leave front open.

Do I need a post in middle? Never thought of that, but I've never built such a big bench.

2x4s or 2x6 cross arms? ahhhh
Old 01-09-2009, 09:53 PM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
Cross brace the back legs or screw a piece of 1/4" plywood to the legs on the back and sides to enclose the area under the work bench. The plywood will stiffen it much better than cross bracing.

Put legs in the middle. 8' is a long way to be unsupported. Maybe a 3/4" plywood top with something on top of that with a nicer surface. That way when the surface gets screwed up you can just take it off and put a new one on.

Engine by Otto.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:56 PM
gAZINTAs

Hodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sock
just leave the crap on the floor.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Yes, they are Real.......

harleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sock
Build it like it's four short walls............

Keeper Of The Toast
2006 Post Whore Of The Year

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS........
Old 01-09-2009, 10:01 PM
GazintA

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/w...h/below20.html

Just build two of these screwed together.

Engine by Otto.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:01 PM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I wish I were closer, I'd just come build the friggin thing for you.

They sell "How-To" books at Lowe's...

They're kind of like a woodworker's service manual.

Clicky HERE!!!!! Seriously, click here... link to a helpful page.
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Excommunicated

I've screwed and nailed things, but the next day, they never seem right. Never as easy, as I thouht it would be either.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyMan View Post
I
They sell "How-To" books at Lowe's...

They're kind of like a woodworker's service manual.

Clicky HERE!!!!! Seriously, click here... link to a helpful page.
I looked at Home Depot today but didn't see anything I liked.

I've built benches. 10 years ago built one, the cheap as in me figured out that 2x4s ar cheaper then 2x8s. So I built the top out of 2x4s. Talk about an uneven mess. Its followed me around the country though. Its in the back of the barn now.

That link has legs made out of 2x4s perpendicular to each other, never seen that before.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Outlaw

Last Cigar Smoked: Camel WIDES
Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
I've screwed and nailed things, but the next day, they never seem right. Never as easy, as I thouht it would be either.
Use a level this time.

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog." - Michael Vick.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Excommunicated

Thats my problem with wood, its not like metal. Its not as true. I got a torpedo, 2' and 4'.