Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Doof Clenas > Doofapaloozas
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Doofapaloozas I'm riding 1,200 miles to spend a week with some avid motorcycle enthusiasts I met on the internet, dear. What could go wrong?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
sad really, this.
Tgivings suck still even now...

Old 05-16-2011, 09:05 PM
DD
Lowest of the Low - XLIII

Location: Northern Ohio... the grid paper of motorcycle riding
yolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkip View Post
We need new Doofs and zINTS. We have to get new members.
what keith and I weren't enough?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:10 PM
DD

yolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Me View Post
I don't necessarily think even the location needs to change. As far as a centrally located place with great roads and tons of scenery, it's damn hard to find a better spot than ES or that area. Maybe take a year break from the annual, let the local rides grow and flourish a bit more, and feel out for 2013 participation. If the feelings aren't strong enough, give it another year. For me, it's much more than the location, it's the fellowship and meeting up with people that I may only get to see on that once a year occasion. If the economy finally makes a good turn and everyone is in a better position, I would guess participation would go up as well.

Yeah, I have to agree with ed. Hell look how many showed up for pony tacos and we didn't even do a ride. Really everyone just wanted to hang out and socialize.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
It should be very clear how I feel about you Dave (Mega), the people on this forum, the get-togethers, and riding in general. I'll ride anywhere I can through any kind of weather in order to spend time with the people on this forum. I've also opened my home to this bunch of miscreants, and I'll do it again.

With that said, Dana and I have already discussed not doing ES for the entire week in 2012. It's not that we don't love y'all, but we want to ride somewhere different. ES is a phenomenal destination, and Ray is a wonderful host, but there are a lot of other roads out there, and I want to ride them all.

I'm not going to rehash the discussion from last year (or 2 years ago, I can't remember), and I'm not intending to piss on anyone's cornflakes, but I think that we need to look for another place. As has been mentioned, the economy sucks, and vacation time is at a premium for most of us. Four (or five, or six) days of riding to and from an event is prohibitive to a lot of us. I had a ball in ES last year, but we spent 5 days on the road between going and coming back, and that's not fun riding (even though we enjoyed the company).

I will pledge my time to scope places out around here if there are any suggestions. Shit, I'll do anything for this group, especially if it means that we continue to do stuff together. I don't want to see things fall apart, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that feeling. But I agree with Ed that maybe every other year (or every 5 years) is a better way to go. There are a ton of local rides that get one or two long-distance riders, and the hope is that as they continue to grow, there will be more interest in a big national event.

We also need to get new people. We've got less than 1,000 members, of which maybe 100 contribute regularly, and of that, roughly 40 or 50 who show up to stuff on a semi-regular basis, and we're spread out all over the US and (to a lesser extent) Canada. We need to go on a big-time membership drive. We all know other riders who aren't here, and we need to get them here. Maybe they stay, maybe they think we're weird and they leave, but we've gotta get more folks involved.

Dave, I'm not stepping on your toes, and if you think I'm overstepping, tell me. This group is too damn important to me to see things fall apart. I'm at your disposal for whatever you need, and you know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
You mean navigating through Toledo's finest neighborhoods wasn't enough for you?
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:29 PM
DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Me View Post
You mean navigating through Toledo's finest neighborhoods wasn't enough for you?
Well I did get to mark hookers and drug dealers of my check list for the day... so I really can't complain.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:30 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

ms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I have attended ES four years in a row and while I enjoy ES and all the folks that gather there, I am wanting to explore new roads, fill in some states on my ride map and meet some of the forum folks that I haven't met before. Maggie Valley, even though it's 1700 miles one way for me, fills all those requirements. Life is short, vacation time is short and I want to get the most bang for my buck. Next year I'll probably head to the Left Coast. I wish I could do more of the mid-West get togethers but with the distance it's just not possible.

High Priestess of the Cloudriders
Old 05-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Mind the thorns

Margarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
We went to Junction this year and the budget can't stand another week of motel stays, not to mention gas, to go to ES. Alas, I'd love to meet all you lovely folks who didn't make it to Junction. One long distance whoop de doo a year is about all we can handle since we are at least a couple or three days ride from most of them. We were thinking about ES next year, but if we need to wait for 2013... okay.

If y'all want to come to Wyoming, I can find you floor space, tent space, barn room, or a choice of inexpensive motels... party at my house.

Preserve the planet: repeal the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:31 PM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
It should be very clear how I feel about you Dave (Mega), the people on this forum, the get-togethers, and riding in general. I'll ride anywhere I can through any kind of weather in order to spend time with the people on this forum. I've also opened my home to this bunch of miscreants, and I'll do it again.

With that said, Dana and I have already discussed not doing ES for the entire week in 2012. It's not that we don't love y'all, but we want to ride somewhere different. ES is a phenomenal destination, and Ray is a wonderful host, but there are a lot of other roads out there, and I want to ride them all.

I'm not going to rehash the discussion from last year (or 2 years ago, I can't remember), and I'm not intending to piss on anyone's cornflakes, but I think that we need to look for another place. As has been mentioned, the economy sucks, and vacation time is at a premium for most of us. Four (or five, or six) days of riding to and from an event is prohibitive to a lot of us. I had a ball in ES last year, but we spent 5 days on the road between going and coming back, and that's not fun riding (even though we enjoyed the company).

I will pledge my time to scope places out around here if there are any suggestions. Shit, I'll do anything for this group, especially if it means that we continue to do stuff together. I don't want to see things fall apart, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that feeling. But I agree with Ed that maybe every other year (or every 5 years) is a better way to go. There are a ton of local rides that get one or two long-distance riders, and the hope is that as they continue to grow, there will be more interest in a big national event.

We also need to get new people. We've got less than 1,000 members, of which maybe 100 contribute regularly, and of that, roughly 40 or 50 who show up to stuff on a semi-regular basis, and we're spread out all over the US and (to a lesser extent) Canada. We need to go on a big-time membership drive. We all know other riders who aren't here, and we need to get them here. Maybe they stay, maybe they think we're weird and they leave, but we've gotta get more folks involved.

Dave, I'm not stepping on your toes, and if you think I'm overstepping, tell me. This group is too damn important to me to see things fall apart. I'm at your disposal for whatever you need, and you know I'm not the only one who feels that way.
You and I are on the same page...

But you said it so much better...

I wouldn't host TotM if'n I didn't love y'all
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 PM
DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyMan View Post
You and I are on the same page...

But you said it so much better...

I wouldn't host TotM if'n I didn't love y'all
he is a very elegant speaker... unless he finds oil under his ride.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Double-D

BigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milk
I have to admit; and I mentioned this at TotM, that I'm not overly excited about ES this year. It's not the ride, or the distance or the cost. It's because so many people that I love to see aren't going to be there. There are a lot of reasons for that and I think they have been voiced already. A week is actually easier for me to get than several weekends so I'm no help but I'm in for what ever works best for the group.

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015
Old 05-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
How many rooms are booked at Ray's this year?
How down is the attendance expected to be?
I did 8,9, and had to miss '10 so I'm definitely planning to be there but I understand the sentiment and the concern. I don't know how much of the drop is due to waning interest due to the fixed location vs other multiple factors. As proven last year, it can be damn difficult to get enough time off to go to lots of events. I'd love to do Squish, TOTM, Dumbside, the cheese thing, just can't get that much time off for the travel time, so ES is the biggy for me.
Despite that I, too, am looking for a change up.
I am considering working in some detours both on the way to and returning from ES. Maybe spending part of my ES time riding up to Branson or elsewhere. Just leaving Thurs instead of Friday, heading north or east or whatever to mix it up a bit before heading back but I live closer to ES than many others..

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-16-2011, 09:55 PM
DD

Russ that was nicely said...

for me, this place turned into home from the second I stumbled upon you crazy bastages. I've been riding for 13 years and this past one has been the most fun riding I've ever had.

I personally wouldn't take the lack of attendance at ES this year as anything other than folks are just short on vacation time and money. The people I've met here online and at the events are some of the best out there and they really love this group.

I mean, Keith and I had people ride for hundreds of miles, hell even other countries to be there for us when we joined. Nobody knew us other than the few weeks of us making complete asses of ourselves on the forum. Not just anybody would do that for complete strangers. That shit means something to me and always will.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:03 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_tapestry View Post
I have attended ES four years in a row and while I enjoy ES and all the folks that gather there, I am wanting to explore new roads, fill in some states on my ride map and meet some of the forum folks that I haven't met before. Maggie Valley, even though it's 1700 miles one way for me, fills all those requirements. Life is short, vacation time is short and I want to get the most bang for my buck. Next year I'll probably head to the Left Coast. I wish I could do more of the mid-West get togethers but with the distance it's just not possible.
Well said, T.

I've only been to two Doofapaloozas: Eureka Springs, and Salida, Colorado. Both were excellent places, IMO.

Of all the events going on here that I WISH I could attend this year, Maggie Valley and ToTM topped the list for me. Both are located in beautiful areas, and I've never been to either to "stay awhile" and explore the area. Interesting part is I'd surely meet more doofs and zints from the east coast,... even the ones that talk funny.

Sadly I have/will miss both, but that is what it is....

Old 05-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Somewhat Bionic

Last Cigar Smoked: Hoyo De Monterrey Robusto
Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm glad I'll be there this year. Vacation time is not a problem, but funds and leaving the family behind for a week are difficult. Mrs. Cheese is not interested in sharing my riding habit and she would rather schedule time for herself and our daughter to go somewhere on their own trip.
I find myself having to balance the desire for long weekend rides against the whole week event. I'm more drawn to multiple regional get togethers for the season and then maybe would be more open for a longish trip every other year..

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin