Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > High Performance
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:35 AM
DynaDav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
U fags! The dam kids don't have a chance with fathers like you out there.

Oh yeah, be sure to make sure there are no squares spots on the ride. Sand everything down, until you can use the finest sand paper you can get our hands on.

Shaddup...I won my league too in the scouts.
I agree with Rock. Let the kids do it! As a kid I won this thing and made the car by myself. Dad just told me what to do. Oil is not allowed so graphite works great for the axles...The best part about my car was we didn't carve it down or sand, or even paint it. Just a ugly block of bare wood!!! I drew a question mark on each side. Everyone laughed at the damm thing, but it was the full weight allowed and had fast wheels!
Old 12-19-2007, 11:13 AM
sOlo DoOf

Drifting Easy has failed to amuse us
Before any one else piles on screaming "Let the kid do it!..A$$ hole!"My son is only 6 so he cant use power tools etc. I plan on him designing and painting the car. I'll help with all the speed work, polishing and weights and stuff, the things he could care less about, or I may send the whole thing to Gray so neither one of us has to deal with it

Old 12-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Just plain Doof

rk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suckrk custom can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting Easy View Post
Before any one else piles on screaming "Let the kid do it!..A$$ hole!"My son is only 6 so he cant use power tools etc. I plan on him designing and painting the car. I'll help with all the speed work, polishing and weights and stuff, the things he could care less about, or I may send the whole thing to Gray so neither one of us has to deal with it

that's the spirit
it is supose to be a father son thing
the scouts are not babysitters

Psalm 23:4 and the Second Amendment are enough for me.

If you have issue with anything in this post. You can address this by opening a dos prompt and typing
cd C:/
and then type
format C:

What you looking for?
Old 01-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Hangaround

Electric Head has failed to amuse us
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhast View Post
I build Du jr's years ago, and it should have won but because of bracketing got beat by a slower car.

It was the "Indy Roadster" style, green metalflake, and the weight maxed out. I used .38 spl 158 grain cast SWC at the rear.

OK. Here's my logic for putting the weight where I did. Please, someone with better understanding of physics than I have explain if I am wrong.

I observed that at the start the cars are inclined on the track starting gate and when released descend the track to the floor, level out, and run to the line.

So, at the gate, the rear of the car is higher from the floor that the rest of the car. This means that the rear of the car falls farther than the front of the car. Falling weight equals acceleration.

Now, it's not much, but may be as much as several inches and may be an advantage.

Am I wrong?
I agree with your logic - starts off with the most potential energy it can having weight as high as possible. I'm not sure what rules there are, we had a similar kind of thing every year here, but there was basically no rules, it just had to be gravity-powered. I would get the seat as far back as possible too, and the bend a wheel up idea sounds good too!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:11 PM
43rd Prophet

swmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suck
I'm not gonna pile on...there ought to be age group handicaps and a specified amount that parents can be hands on for each group...obviously a 6 year old can't build what 14 year old can but this seems more like dad against dad...the kid is just along for the ride (pun intended)

I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.
~James Madison, speech, Virginia Convention, 1788

Old 01-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Yes, they are Real.......

harleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sockharleyjsb doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting Easy View Post
My son got his kit tonight, I quickly snatched it out of his little sweaty hands he put up a little fuss and my wife was embarrassed but I got over it. Now it says on the box " your kit contains bla, bla, bla, paint, race, and WIN...I was wondering what legal recourse do I have if I don't win?...because it says on the box I have all I need to win.

It's going to be a long build process, I'm going to take my time and do it right, I will try and post pictures of the build process. I may farm out the precision work to Gray, I haven't called him yet (I'm afraid it might be some crazy phone sex number) maybe I'll call when I have some time to myself.
Any how thanks for the tips guys, I'll try and get some pics up.

Any one know where I can find a shop manual that also has the torque specs?
That really is his cell number.........................

just sayin'

Keeper Of The Toast
2006 Post Whore Of The Year

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS........
Old 02-06-2008, 07:16 AM
Confirmed Luddite

Last Cigar Smoked: Snack Pack Tapioca
Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
OK, I'm late to the party, but we can call it reference material for next year. Take the axles, put them in a drill and file off the flashing. Then go to 120 grit sandpaper, 220, and 440 grit wet. Follow up with pumice or some polishing compound. Weight is important, but so is friction or lack thereof. Soap may slow you down, use a graphite molybdenum mix. Also sand off any high points on the wheels and any flashing on the edges there.

Weight. We put it on either side of the rear axle. Two years ago we put it too far back and with a light front end the car wiggled all over the track. Make sure you are right at 5 oz, you can use the modular weights on the bottom to fine tune it. The scout shop also sells axle spacers and an alignment tool to make sure the wheels are straight.

As a finale, my son made the regionals, as did I when I was a Cub. We both got clobbered by the obsessive engineer father/son cars there, but we made a respectable showing.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Double-D, MLA III, CLS

BluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I put the axles fo the boys cars in a lathe and turned them darned near needle fine.

Wheels went in next and got a point contact patch w the track.

One wheel was turned small. Effect made them 3 wheeled cars.

Race day, they filled "hubcap" area with powdered teflon and added file marker dots as hubcaps to hold the teflon in.

Trophies are downstairs.

Oil, heat, vibration and noise.

At work, oil analysis, thermography, vibration analysis, and ultrasonics.

At play, Harley.

Same same, right?

Only 43 more states to go!

Remember, never make a straight on a left hand bridge.

It WILL leave a mark.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:45 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I entered quite a few as a kid. I carved my cars with a pocket knife and sanded them smooth. I also found out what works: add weight! Not in the rear! I drilled holes in my cars, melted fishing weights and poured the hot lead in the holes. Lead is easy to work with, you can sand it smooth, and remove tiny amounts to meet the maximum weight allowed. You want this weight up front on the car. I tried it in the rear one year and it's definitely better up front. Seems to follow the stop better when it falls to start the race. Good luck, those things are a lot of fun!

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 11-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Double-D

huckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawg View Post
I entered quite a few as a kid. I carved my cars with a pocket knife and sanded them smooth. I also found out what works: add weight! Not in the rear! I drilled holes in my cars, melted fishing weights and poured the hot lead in the holes. Lead is easy to work with, you can sand it smooth, and remove tiny amounts to meet the maximum weight allowed. You want this weight up front on the car. I tried it in the rear one year and it's definitely better up front. Seems to follow the stop better when it falls to start the race. Good luck, those things are a lot of fun!
I did the same thing with my boys, I bought an assortment of split shot sinkers and drilled holes in the bottom and sealed with wood glue before paint.

powdered graphite on the axle's prior to race.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Confirmed Luddite

Last Cigar Smoked: Snack Pack Tapioca
Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Now that he's a Boy Scout, my son's troop decided to have an untimate Pinewood derby. Weight limit was 2 lbs, that's not easy to fit into a small block of wood. He built a pickup truck and we put steel bars in the bed to get to the limit. He beat every car except the one with a motor. If he had only told me motors were allowed...

Old 02-01-2011, 02:32 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
ZOMBIE THREAD!!! YAHHH!!!

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.