Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > Specialty
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Specialty Choppers, Customs, Rats, etc.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Mods, and Some Fairly Radical Ones (For Me)

Went for a 4mi walk today, with the muttly to sort out all the final thoughts on the Blu Mules build.
The bike will never see sustained hwy cruising speeds to get somewhere again. I also don't have to care about tunes or all the rest of the auxilary fluff. I just want it to still be a Harley and be able to "try" and hold it's chin up on the street. I'm going to gut it of anything not needed, except the saddlebags, because they are a must have for me.

Step 1 - RB racing chain drive conversion swing arm, I understand I don't need a chain..Althogh I hope the 120" tests it a bit!! I want it more for the redone swing arm and the ability to make the gearing as steep as I want it in conjuction with the Andrews Power Pulley I have that puts me at 3.36 now.

Step 2 - Unsprung weight..... Not sure of the actual gains on this (input please) What are the actual lightweight rims out there??? I see Revolution Manufacturing has C.F. units on some pretty good discounts at the moment, but some other real world options would be good. In tandem with the Lyndall Lug Drive rotors that are 1.6lb a piece.

Any suggestions are appreciated, I'm suprised how much the C.F. wheels have come down, almost down to aftermarket mag pricing, just not sure of the actual gains vs the '08 Street Glide rims and steel rotors I'm spinning now.

Thanks,
Dirk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swingarm360hp_black0409.jpg (54.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 01-01-2013, 07:02 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I swapped out my primary gearing for 3.37. That, in conjunction w/ the pulley, should get you down pretty far. You want lower?

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:12 PM

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
I swapped out my primary gearing for 3.37. That, in conjunction w/ the pulley, should get you down pretty far. You want lower?
Maybe we will have to see.... I just would like the chains versatility to move the gearing around as the mood strikes. Plus that is a pretty nice swing arm redo they accomplish..

Dirk
Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
You should go
To a chain & If your going to a chain drive then why waste your money on a 120R when for the same price (or less) you can get a bigA$$ S&S or something with "real" horsepower?!!

®

Last edited by noodles; 01-01-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Trash

noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
((who rebuilds Harley motors?))

S&S.. Thank You~

®
Old 01-01-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
If your going to a chain drive then why waist your money on a 120R when for the same price (or less) you can get a bigA$$ S&S or something with "real" horsepower?!!
HAHAHA...... I need to get to know your friends!!!! An S&S 124" is more than 4.5K over the 120" around these parts

Dirk
Old 01-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Known Associate

Inspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thought
If a light bike is the goal, wouldn't it be easier to start with a dyna and build a switchback looking bike? I realize you already have the mule but even after you put it on a serious diet it will still weigh more than a dyna framed bike.

As to the chain conversion, I have not hurt a belt yet after two seasons of pretty serious testing. For an engine that is supposedly lacking real horsepower, this thing is silly fast and that is even with the long legged gearing of the 06 street bob. I can be in third gear at 2500 rpm and be going over 90 mph without a gear change before it hits the rev limiter. Guess 139.92 hp and 133.7 tq is "lacking" horsepower wise, oh and the only mod out of the box was to install roller rockers and SE rocker shaft supports.....
Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 12 View Post
If a light bike is the goal, wouldn't it be easier to start with a dyna and build a switchback looking bike? I realize you already have the mule but even after you put it on a serious diet it will still weigh more than a dyna framed bike.

As to the chain conversion, I have not hurt a belt yet after two seasons of pretty serious testing. These things are silly fast and that is even with the long legged gearing of the 06 street bob. I can be in third gear at 2500 rpm and be going over 90 mph without a gear change before it hits the rev limiter.
I hear you.... it's just that the mule owes me nothing, and would be a free test bed. I have to think properly though, because she will not let me play like this again... Just like my cvo and the car, these builds are here for good!!
Think I'll snap a top and reflect for a bit...

Dirk
Old 01-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Known Associate

Inspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by MITT41 View Post
Think I'll snap a top and reflect for a bit...

Dirk
Sounds like a grand idea. I will do the same in support of your project....
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
I always make better decisions when I'm liquored up.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
I beg your pardon! I don't believe I'm one bit radi....................oh.............you meant....

Never mind...

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
I like your chain idea for the intended purpose of the Mule makeover. It does offer more versatility if you want to play with final drive ratios, and you want to play on the street, not tour the continent on it.

I'm drinking either way. Which reminds me of the Bottle Cap Blues.

Greg

Last edited by Ancient Iron; 01-01-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Why don't you just road trip it down to a reputable builder in the states? You can go as ridiculous as you want on the build and not have to worry about import duties, just ride all those nice new parts home. With the exchange rate and no import duty I bet you can have that S&S 124" installed.

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 01-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
Why don't you just road trip it down to a reputable builder in the states? You can go as ridiculous as you want on the build and not have to worry about import duties, just ride all those nice new parts home. With the exchange rate and no import duty I bet you can have that S&S 124" installed.
Joe, knows stuff.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
Thank You!

®