Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
If you really want a Baisley spring, I have one. In my opinion, not needed in a stock engine. For simplicity sake, keep your engine OEM. Torrington inner bearings, and keep the rest of it all stock. (Ask me why I say this!)

Meng

TKWSV

Last edited by Geezer-Glide; 03-26-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Double-D

ColdRider doesn't need a tube sockColdRider doesn't need a tube sockColdRider doesn't need a tube sockColdRider doesn't need a tube sockColdRider doesn't need a tube sockColdRider doesn't need a tube sockColdRider doesn't need a tube sockColdRider doesn't need a tube sockColdRider doesn't need a tube sockColdRider doesn't need a tube sockColdRider doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post
That's my plan ColdRider! Replace what's necessary and maybe even do the Baisely Spring whilst it's all apart. That seems like an inexpensive addition. Now, would that spring be valuable having 72+K on the motor already? If so, where might I order one. I have to wonder also if I could purchase just the Herko tensioners. Aren't they spring loaded like the OEM's?

BOB
No they are hydraulic like the 2007-up style I think. I don't recall springs but someone will correct me I'm sure........

I haven't broken the 50k barrier yet, too old for the cold and miserable weather riding I used to do, so I don't know about the Baisely spring. I don't worry about oil pressure and don't even want a gauge. I fixed it until it was broke before and I'm not doing it again.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
I would offer that you pay a little more for your lifters and get S&S standard or Gaterman 1023.

Gatermans can be had for 125 and I think the S&S are around 140.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:34 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Folks worry about low oil pressure in these engines, especially in the hot weather. Stop worrying. The bottom ends are roller bearings, not babbit bearings. They don't hold oil pressure. In the twin cam's, there's jets that spray oil up into the bottom of the piston and cylinder on the piston's upstroke.

I spent a small fortune (could probably pay cash for a 2014) chasing the horsepower genie, and more installing every new wizz-bang "Better than stock" slick snake oil product that came down the pike. NOT NEEDED!!!!

In deference to Russ, buy 'em stock, ride 'em stock!!!!

Meng

TKWSV

Old 03-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
I would offer that you pay a little more for your lifters and get S&S standard or Gaterman 1023.

Gatermans can be had for 125 and I think the S&S are around 140.
I'm with Warren here on this one. The stock HD lifters are not so hot right now. I have Gaterman's in mine. Nice pieces.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 PM

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Last I heard herko isn't offering the "kit" anymore. All the kit is/was a convenience packaging of all the parts to do the conversion.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
Folks worry about low oil pressure in these engines, especially in the hot weather. Stop worrying. The bottom ends are roller bearings, not babbit bearings. They don't hold oil pressure. In the twin cam's, there's jets that spray oil up into the bottom of the piston and cylinder on the piston's upstroke.

I spent a small fortune (could probably pay cash for a 2014) chasing the horsepower genie, and more installing every new wizz-bang "Better than stock" slick snake oil product that came down the pike. NOT NEEDED!!!!

In deference to Russ, buy 'em stock, ride 'em stock!!!!
I did an economy 95 with heads and cams. The ride is where it should have been stock. Stock configuration for me was a real dog with the 88.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:50 PM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
Okay, nix the spring and just replace tensioners as previously spoken. My scoot is 8 now, and is still all stock, save for the Supertrapp going on when I do this. If the Gatorman's are available for close to that price, I can spring for em.
Now who is this Jenni that I've been reading about and where can I find Jenni to price some OEM tensioners. I thank you all for your input. Yes even you Dave!

ps. oh, has anyone here devised one of those cool tensioner spring tools I saw home made on youtube. It looks like I should be able to do it with a pair (or two) of needle nose pliers.

doB

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology

Last edited by Turbo Turtle; 03-26-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: because I can
Old 03-26-2014, 04:50 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
jenni no longer sells parts, she sells beer now
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 03-26-2014, 05:19 PM
Smuckin' Fartass

Last Cigar Smoked: Olivia Nub Maduro
Woody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sock
You outta convert the sumbitch to the new cam chain and tensioners...

Sent from my atomic powered HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-26-2014, 05:24 PM
Augmented

Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
Sueweet! I'm down for a brew or two!
I guess I'll bite the dealers bullet, because after shipping I wouldn't be saving much. Plus they will have record of time of purchase for any possible warranty.

BOB

Old 03-26-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post
Sueweet! I'm down for a brew or two!
I guess I'll bite the dealers bullet, because after shipping I wouldn't be saving much. Plus they will have record of time of purchase for any possible warranty.

BOB
There are still places to order parts at discount. When I get to a PC I will post some links.

Last edited by vafatboy; 03-26-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I used a dremel to cut up a cheap Chinese plug socket to make the spring retraction tool. It ain't rocket science.

Posted under duress using now-buggy FREE Tapatalk I previously paid for.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 03-27-2014, 06:58 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I think I used a nail. Can't remember what size, but you just need something that fits in the hole and keeps things out of the way

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 03-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Augmented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
If you really want a Baisley spring, I have one. In my opinion, not needed in a stock engine. For simplicity sake, keep your engine OEM. Torrington inner bearings, and keep the rest of it all stock. (Ask me why I say this!)
I can take a hint. Especially since I had already decided to keep as stock a configuration as possible until which time I can go with a full build. I have the quality Torrington inner bearings. And I have decided that the Gatorman Lifters will not take me out of stock league. I did see where they offered a stock replacement part number and a performance part number. I'm guessing the GP 1021's will suffice. If I don't need the Baisely spring, I'm okay with that. So as soon as I can get lifters in, I'm going to tear her down.
Does anyone have a reasonable priced source for the Gatorman lifters, or should I go through the manufacturer?

addendum: E mailed the manufacturer and have a contact for a set of lifters. And Steve is mailing me his BBP to do the cam bearings. It's looking like I have all the parts in/on order and am looking forward to opening it up.

BOB

Last edited by Turbo Turtle; 03-27-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Because I can

Tags
cams and chain, tensioners, timing chain