Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > The Gym
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

The Gym Put on your sweats and come on in.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Old married man

vindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographic
Elliptical

I weight lift religiously four days a week and thought I was in good shape.
I bought this elliptical and it told me otherwise. I have a ways to go.
I've never owned one before and I have a question. I notice my lower back gets very tired quick on it. Is this normal? I squat 270-300 and dead lift 325 for reps and this damn machine does that to me. I'm not hunched over I stand straight up. Maybe there are muscles in my lower back that need to build up?

Since the photos I set it at 12" instead of 18 and I use the "uprights" the simulated ski polls instead of the stationary hand grips.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 FLHTCU
Old 08-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Bard of the 43 Words

Last Cigar Smoked: 5 Vegas Miami
TimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suck
Don't know about the lower back thingy - ya sure you are standing on it straight?
For mine, I have to have my toes dang near touching the front of the foot pads
The one I currently have is in need of being replaced.

I like that model - how much was it?
2003 FXD aka 'Wild Blue'
"Ask not what Doof Clenas can do for you, but what you can do for Doof Clenas." TimmyD (2006)

Old 08-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Doof Cadet

Last Cigar Smoked: don't smoke no friggin ceegars
knuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sock
Probably workin the lower back in a way they're not use too. Back off and /or do other lower back exercises too strengthen your lower back.

Maybe the heavy squats and dead lifts are actually straining your back.
Can you use a leg press machine?

Of course, maybe consult a professional trainer.

Wish I had the time to train "religiously"....

Doofbag Fer EverI smell Fish
Old 08-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Old married man

vindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyD View Post
Don't know about the lower back thingy - ya sure you are standing on it straight?
For mine, I have to have my toes dang near touching the front of the foot pads
The one I currently have is in need of being replaced.

I like that model - how much was it?
Just finished 20 minutes and I did stand all the way forward and it made a difference. Today was my first day doing a full programed workout. I did a #3 the top right blue workout. My lower back got tired but not like it has.

I bought it on Craigslist for $120. Looks like it retailed for $399.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 FLHTCU
Old 08-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Old married man

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleheader- View Post
Probably workin the lower back in a way they're not use too. Back off and /or do other lower back exercises too strengthen your lower back.

Maybe the heavy squats and dead lifts are actually straining your back.
Can you use a leg press machine?

Of course, maybe consult a professional trainer.

Wish I had the time to train "religiously"....
I'm thinking it's the lack of endurance maybe. I've been working out for 30 years and have trained with trainers over the years.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 FLHTCU
Old 08-02-2012, 07:24 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

Half Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glassesHalf Pint looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
The low back tension is probably just because it's something new and your body is not used to it yet. If so, it'll get better with time.

I've never experienced any low back discomfort, but my hands and feet go numb every time after about 15-20 minutes. I can press on to about 35-40 minutes before it gets downright painful.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindex1963 View Post
I weight lift religiously four days a week and thought I was in good shape.
I bought this elliptical and it told me otherwise. I have a ways to go.
I've never owned one before and I have a question. I notice my lower back gets very tired quick on it. Is this normal? I squat 270-300 and dead lift 325 for reps and this damn machine does that to me. I'm not hunched over I stand straight up. Maybe there are muscles in my lower back that need to build up?

Since the photos I set it at 12" instead of 18 and I use the "uprights" the simulated ski polls instead of the stationary hand grips.

My son is up to 1.5-2 hours straight on one every night. He's lost 57 pounds since February. 250 down to 193. He's doing strength too and is a specimen.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I lost 25 lbs doing 4 days a week for about 45 minutes-3 to 4 miles, i go now once or twice a week, and when October comes I will go back to 4nights, and try to lose another 10, I have pretty much held the weight off considering summer is beer and bbq, that's pretty good

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 08-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Old married man

Quote:
Originally Posted by unchained View Post
The low back tension is probably just because it's something new and your body is not used to it yet. If so, it'll get better with time.

I've never experienced any low back discomfort, but my hands and feet go numb every time after about 15-20 minutes. I can press on to about 35-40 minutes before it gets downright painful.
My feet do go numb. Strange.

Everyone that's some impressive results. I'm not looking so much at weight loss but endurance. I have a big hike this fall and I couldn't make it last time. I was 10ft from the top and the guy I was hiking with is 70 and he was reaching down saying "give me your hand I'll help you" and I couldn't even put my foot on the next rock to step up. I was hiking Flat Iron in the Superstition mountains. I know hikers that won't even consider it and that old man times himself trying to best his old record. Pretty much straight up the entire hike.

The two step rock face in the middle is Flat Iron.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 FLHTCU
Old 08-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Mind the thorns

Margarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Those elliptical thingies KILL my knees. Can't take a long enough stride to keep from cramping up.

Preserve the planet: repeal the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Old married man

I'm getting conditioned to it now. I've got 20 minutes down pretty good and am going for 30 from now on.
I've incorporated the elliptical into my weight linting as a warm up pre-exhaust. Tonight was 20 minutes straight to good mornings and dead lifts. That's a workout!!

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 FLHTCU
Old 09-30-2012, 09:23 PM
DD
Lowest of the Low - XLIII

Location: Northern Ohio... the grid paper of motorcycle riding
yolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suckyolkum can happily embrace the suck
I'm still doing the treadmill 6 days a week. Although the Colorado trip did screw up my routine pretty good. Never thought 2 weeks off would do so much damage.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm carrying 15 pounds more now than I was prior to the wreck. I'm fighting inertia, but I'm getting back into my treadmill/elliptical routine. I find that mixing the two of them keeps me from getting too sore.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 09-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Trash

Last Cigar Smoked: The one in the ash tray
noodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glassesnoodles looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolkum View Post
I'm still doing the treadmill 6 days a week. Although the Colorado trip did screw up my routine pretty good. Never thought 2 weeks off would do so much damage.
That is the reason I didn't go to Colorado...

..(not really, but it sounded good)

®
Old 09-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
Those eliptical trainers will give ya a really hard work-out. Judy doesn't like ours; says it hurts too much. She prefers the treadmill. I don't know how she stands either one of them. Soooo boring.